Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

Thanks man I'm very happy with it..doesn't burn a drop of oil either...I've given up checking every week :)..............

Yeah, iirc the one in my Celica didn't use any oil either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Out with the old and in with the new...shouldn't have to do it again for another 60k miles! Not sure if its the placebo effect..but the car is turning over quicker now.

Was going to tackle the fogs but was too hungover.

img0172large.jpg

Not so much the placebo effect I'd say.....you were loosing cylinder compression from the spark plug in the above picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Not so much the placebo effect I'd say.....you were loosing cylinder compression from the spark plug on the left of the above picture...

Dynoed not too long ago @ 159.9 BHP...so it was firing on all cylinders! But the plugs were due a change alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dynoed not too long ago @ 159.9 BHP...so it was firing on all cylinders! But the plugs were due a change alright.

It would have been firing on all 4 alright, but note the brown stains at the base of the ceramic, That caused by cylinder pressure escaping through the plug. Not enough to cause major running issues, but enough to notice a slight improvement with new plugs.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Advertisement

It would have been firing on all 4 alright, but note the brown stains at the base of the ceramic, That caused by cylinder pressure escaping through the plug. Not enough to cause major running issues, but enough to notice a slight improvement with new plugs.:)

Cheers, I did notice that and I presume that was due to the lead not fully pushed down on that cyclinder...as I said before the previous owner was a clown! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

img0164large.jpg

Love mr2, i think that will be my next one.... after i'll divorce with my wife.. :pac:

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Love mr2, i think that will be my next one.... after i'll divorce with my wife.. :pac:

Just buy it man, seriously......you only live once ;) ..The amount of negativity I recieved when I suggested buying this car was unbeleivable (family,not the missus) I said fu-ck it and went with a mate from Dublin to Limerick to buy this and fell in love again!...she however loves the car now anyway :rolleyes:......and so do I.:cool: 1900 yoyos as well Bargain :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just buy it man, seriously......you only live once ;) ..The amount of negativity I recieved when I suggested buying this car was unbeleivable (family,not the missus) I said fu-ck and went with a mate from Dublin to Limerick to buy this and fell in love again!...she however loves the car now anyway :rolleyes:......and so do I.:cool:

It's a lovely car, even nicer in the flesh! It's a contender for my next car.

Confab wrote: »
    It's a lovely car, even nicer in the flesh! It's a contender for my next car.

Cheers man, well wear on your new motor..if you need a hand with anything give me a shout and just drop down the road to me.. Unfortunately it wasn't clean when confab saw it last...and still isn't, its just too cold...but she looks a million times better waxed.

• Advertisement

Just buy it man, seriously......you only live once ;) ..The amount of negativity I recieved when I suggested buying this car was unbeleivable (family,not the missus) I said fu-ck it and went with a mate from Dublin to Limerick to buy this and fell in love again!...she however loves the car now anyway :rolleyes:......and so do I.:cool: 1900 yoyos as well Bargain :P

My dream is Nissan Skyline r34 GTR or Nissan GTR :rolleyes: (i had r33 no turbo, which i love, but sold for peanuts as i couldnt afford just to keep it), which i suppose will stay as a dream, mr2 turbo charged is my next one... seriously, after i'll divorce with wife :cool: . i think things goes that way. Well... will see how its goes ...

I am mechanical minded. so upgrades will to come also :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Tallon wrote: »

Must be a wh0re to tax that ;).

Hal1 wrote: »
    Must be a wh0re to tax that ;).

They have 2 litre engine, so no need be wh0re to tax that thing. which after 1 January will be 660 euro for a year.

That's sounds fairly doable so. I was nearly buying a e46 1.8 recently it wasn't the tax that put me off just the whole RWD concept and the ****ty roads we have. I have been steadly going up in engine size with each car I own. So far 1ltr, 1.4ltr and now a 1.6ltr woahhhhhhhhhhh :D.

That's sounds fairly doable so. I was nearly buying a e46 1.8 recently it wasn't the tax that put me off just the whole RWD concept and the ****ty roads we have. I have been steadly going up in engine size with each car I own. So far 1ltr, 1.4ltr and now a 1.6ltr woahhhhhhhhhhh .

try nissan skyline gtr ... 2.6 twin turbo, ... after that you wont get any other car if ya have money ...

Cheers man, well wear on your new motor..if you need a hand with anything give me a shout and just drop down the road to me.. Unfortunately it wasn't clean when confab saw it last...and still isn't, its just too cold...but she looks a million times better waxed.

Yeah, dark colours aren't the best for Irish roads - I'm discovering that too. Yeah she's running great, not a bother on her and she's not too bad on the juice either, I'm fairly surprised about that. More work to do - new steering wheel needed (can't get the old one off!), clay and wax, new lights, airbag light off etc. Still, I'm happy with her.

On a similar note, I'm considering buying a parts car if a proper one comes up (right colour, interior, dials, console etc) Anyone any experience doing this? Is it worth it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, yesterday the CMax went for NCT re-test, two badly worn rear tires, which I knew where worn, but no time/money to get new ones before the test last week.
    But knew re-test would be free, so went for it anyway.
    Car now sit on Semperits Speed Life all round, which is good, because when I had new tires at the front and worn ones at the rear I took a bend in the snow and the rear end tried to overtake me!
    Brown trouser time.
    So far the Semperits seem a little vaguer than my previous Kormorans, but much quieter on the motorway and so far have been good in the wet, there seems to be a little concern about wear and since I do big mileage, I'll be watching them very closely!
    Her MX5 finally got the rear brake spring kit from mx5parts, so the new caliper, disc and pad are now complete.
    This spring kit was impossible to find here, Mazda don't even sell it and motorfactors where stumped. I'm sure elsewhere you can just walk in, ask for a spring kit and be told "sure, I got a dozen in stock", but here it was more like "you want what? What for? Why would you want that? Sure, nobody would be wanting that now, I can try, but I don't think anyone would have that now" The joys of living in the sticks.
    And both cars had tires, oil, coolant, brake fluid and windscreen washer fluid checked and topped up.
    With all that an a set of Lidl chains for the CMax I feel ready for whatever the winter has to throw at me.
    No Chains for the MX5, since it would need a set of 4 and is a complete pig in the snow anyway, so it mostly sits in the garage for the worst of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

I was nearly buying a e46 1.8 recently it wasn't the tax that put me off just the whole RWD concept and the ****ty roads we have.

Are ya a man or a mouse :P

*Squeek squeek* :o.

*Squeek squeek* :o.

Sorry couldnt resist it! To be fair the e46 (facelift) 318 look great but severely under powered! If i knew then what i know now i would not have bought one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Sorry couldnt resist it! To be fair the e46 (facelift) 318 look great but severely under powered! If i knew then what i know now i would not have bought one!

+1 and to make matters worse for me, I had a 1999 which was the 1.9, not 2.0 318 :(

+1 and to make matters worse for me, I had a 1999 which was the 1.9, not 2.0 318 :(

Ouch! When I drive the E46 after being in the E30 it's like driving a barge it's so heavy and slow and urgh!

Nice interior though :D

Yeah, dark colours aren't the best for Irish roads - I'm discovering that too. Yeah she's running great, not a bother on her and she's not too bad on the juice either, I'm fairly surprised about that. More work to do - new steering wheel needed (can't get the old one off!), clay and wax, new lights, airbag light off etc. Still, I'm happy with her.

On a similar note, I'm considering buying a parts car if a proper one comes up (right colour, interior, dials, console etc) Anyone any experience doing this? Is it worth it?

Hows it attached? I've a compressor and an Impact wrench if your stuck (pun intended)...also have a laser breaker bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

You might need to wind the old steering wheel off with an ST. I gave up with my LS400 it was so well stuck on.

E39MSport wrote: »
    You might need to wind the old steering wheel off with an ST. I gave up with my LS400 it was so well stuck on.

Exposing my ignorance here, but what's an ST? If it takes the mighty torque of a Focus ST to get it off then I'm rightly fecked.
    Hows it attached? I've a compressor and an Impact wrench if your stuck (pun intended)...also have a laser breaker bar.

It's a 24mm nut on the boss, an impact wrench would be very handy! I'll PM you.

Just ordered 2 x Falken ZE912 225/50/15 for the rear from Camskill: 200 yoyos...have a place to fit them 15quid a side, valves, balancing, etc.

Would have loved to have brought them here, rang a tyre place and quote was €380 for these fitted :mad: I LOL'ed down the phone...150 quid in the back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Exposing my ignorance here, but what's an ST? If it takes the mighty torque of a Focus ST to get it off then I'm rightly fecked.

It's a 24mm nut on the boss, an impact wrench would be very handy! I'll PM you.

Special Tool. Toyata at least are btards for referring to them in their repair manuals. The steering wheel on the Lexus definitely needed a fancy tool and I couldn't be ar5sed sourcing or making one (as if thats a runner)

edit: - It's not so much getting the large nut off but puling the wheel off. Mine at least was on like it was a ball joint taper and needed to be pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Ouch! When I drive the E46 after being in the E30 it's like driving a barge it's so heavy and slow and urgh!

Nice interior though :D

Not the one I had! Cloth seats and ill-fitting mats :(

The only nice things the interior had were an M-tech gear knob and pedals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

dgt wrote: »
    What did I do? I took an engine out of a car with a gas cutting torch, consaw and a tractor :pac:

Image1704.jpg

FIRE :pac:

Image1705.jpg

I also got done...

Fiesta
    Image1709.jpg
    Image1710.jpg
    Image1712.jpg

Polo
    Image1714.jpg
    Image1715.jpg
    Image1716.jpg
    Image1720.jpg

• Advertisement

Not the one I had! Cloth seats and ill-fitting mats :(

The only nice things the interior had were an M-tech gear knob and pedals!

Mine interior is all nice black alcantara with carbon trim on the doors and dash:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement