Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    The skating starts at 4pm odd. The hotel i stay at it passes by at 17.10 at 36k i think.

Cheers, that sounds perfect! There's a breakfast run as well that I wouldn't mind doing but I haven't been able to track down the details for it in the little booklet I got.
    Here's the video I recorded. Talk about drafting! Unfortunately for some reason I shot it sideways, so you'll have to tilt your monitor (or your head).

I've sent it onto my friend but somehow I can't see her in a tight group like that for the event! Luckily I was watching it on a laptop was able to turn it sideways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    received Email today with race number..Its not long now:)

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    received Email today with race number..Its not long now:)

Indeed, getting scarily close!

Btw how many people are participating in this? In the thread on the upcoming races, there are only three names (me being one).
    26-09-2010 Berlin Marathon
    eliwallach
    T Runner
    opus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Here's a few more (though I dare not add their name to the list. That would be just taking liberties!):
    Krusty_Clown
    village runner
    Emer911
    Peckham
    Liamo123
    Ath36
    PatDusty2010

I have two friends travelling and running also.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    i'm doing it also aswell as three others from the club.hope training is going well for everyone.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Crew this might seem like a silly question at this stage but I presume the approx finishing time we entered on orginal entry mail will determine our starting pens???

Chicago last year was my 1st marathon and I ended up in the last pen with Ronald Mc Donald, Spiderman etc.. Luckly I managed to slither up a bit.. A pal whose a 2.50 marathon runner entered a certified previous marathon time and was up in the 1st pen

4 stars (good)
    Here's a few more (though I dare not add their name to the list. That would be just taking liberties!):
    Krusty_Clown
    village runner
    Emer911
    Peckham
    Liamo123
    Ath36
    PatDusty2010

I have two friends travelling and running also.
    psychozeb wrote: »
    i'm doing it also aswell as three others from the club.hope training is going well for everyone.

Good few boardies going to be there so. Do people meet for a celebratory beverage or two afterwards, just wondering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

4 stars (good)
    Is there a tent at the finish line for beers?!

I strained my calf a week ago so I haven't been running as much as I would have liked. I am surprised how a small twinge in my calf has kept me from running for so long!

Going to try get running again tomorrow. Its my first marathon and I am in the 4 hour group but I would be fairly confident of doing the race in 3 hrs 30. Its my first one so not going to get carried away with myself and set an unrealistic goal. Going to start trying the carb gels over the next few weeks to see how I get on with them. I might do Dublin as well, it all depends on how I get on in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Is there a tent at the finish line for beers?!

By all accounts there is, but I think it is non-alcoholic beer.....
    Tea and fruit aplenty also.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, it is non-alcoholic, but in the heat, after running the marathon it tastes like Champagne. As soon as you walk out of the shower/changing/relaxation/park area, there are tonnes of food stalls, all selling the beautiful amber nectar on tap (the real stuff).

There's a really nice bar/cafe area around the corner by the river, which would be a fantastic place to meet up, if anyone wanted some post race beers (before the second night-session kicks-off). :)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Yeah, it is non-alcoholic, but in the heat, after running the marathon it tastes like Champagne

It's that bad? ;)

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    It's that bad? ;)
    After the marathon, it'll taste like the nectar of the Gods themselves.

By the way....

It's Taper Time!

4 stars (good)

By the way....

It's Taper Time!

i've being looking forward to this moment for a while now,still 59 miles odd though next week.

4 stars (good)
    i've being looking forwaed to this moment for a while now,still 59 miles odd though next week.
    Me too... but you've got to take the small victories!

4 stars (good)

By the way....

It's Taper Time!

Finally! Although I just took the time to count up the distance for next week & it's only 3 miles less than this one, had hoped for more :)

I spotted on the website that you can sign up for a free text service to let you know when a runner passes the half-way point & finishes, I added my friend who's doing the roller-blade marathon so I can keep track of her progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

4 stars (good)
    My preparations have taken a bit of a hit with 8 days no running due to illness. Will run anyway but might be running a little slower...

4 stars (good)
    T runner wrote: »
    My preparations have taken a bit of a hit with 8 days no running due to illness. Will run anyway but might be running a little slower...

hopefully it won't effect you too much.excitement is bulding now.did anyone get the package mentioned in the newsletter?

4 stars (good)
    hopefully it won't effect you too much.excitement is bulding now.did anyone get the package mentioned in the newsletter?
    Package? Didn't see mention of this and didn't get a package from them before, so I doubt we'll get one from them this time either. They did send out a cert etc after the race though.

Sorry to hear that T-runner. Bad timing no doubt, but you have the work done and are in top form, so hopefully it'll have little/no impact. As Pfitzinger and Douglas would say: If your illness or injury keeps you out of training for a week, then there's no need to adjust your goals, just resume training when you can.

4 stars (good)
    Package? Didn't see mention of this and didn't get a package from them before, so I doubt we'll get one from them this time either. They did send out a cert etc after the race though.

Sorry to hear that T-runner. Bad timing no doubt, but you have the work done and are in top form, so hopefully it'll have little/no impact. As Pfitzinger and Douglas would say: If your illness or injury keeps you out of training for a week, then there's no need to adjust your goals, just resume training when you can.

1. Marathon field of runners is complete/List of participants
    laeufer.jpg Like last year, the spots for the field of 40,000 runners have long been sold out. Nothing now can stand in the way of the 37th edition of the classic running event. By now, most of the participants will have received their registration confirmations by mail, which include the extensive participant INFO magazine.

4 stars (good)
    Oh, right. Perhaps they mail acknowledgements to their German registrants, and e-mail them to the rest of us. Think this is the document they're referring to. It has lots of useful info, like a timetable for the weekend's activities, maps of the start/finish area, refreshments details etc.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    ah yeah,seen that on the site alright.just thought they might have posted out the physical booklet.don't have anything to worry about so.

4 stars (good)
    ah yeah,seen that on the site alright.just thought they might have posted out the physical booklet.don't have anything to worry about so.

The only thing we have to worry about is organising a place where we can all meet up for post race drinks.. Any suggestions??????????????

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    The only thing we have to worry about is organising a place where we can all meet up for post race drinks.. Any suggestions??????????????

it'll be my first time in berlin so i'll leave that to someone with knowledge of berlin.

4 stars (good)
    Just after the race (after showering!) head through the family meeting area (with all the letter signposts) towards the Brandenberg Gate. Loads of dirty pints and dirty fried food and you can watch for friends coming through on the big screen (or on the street). I'll be here, supping pints in the shade, waiting for buddies to finish. I'll hoist the Boards singlet nice and high! Anyone got a tricolour?

Need to find somewhere else later on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am so much looking forward to a pint and junk food after the race! Off the booze nearly three weeks now, and to be honest am not missing it at all. However, am going on a stag weekend this weekend so it's going to be tough, really tough, to keep the good behaviour and dedication going! I can plan my training around the weekend, but am worried about staying away from the pints and rubbish food.

Should we arrange somewhere to meet the evening before the race for a bite to eat and settle each others nerves?

Anyone on the 6pm Aer Lingus flight from Dublin on the Friday?

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone on the 6pm Aer Lingus flight from Dublin on the Friday?
    6am Friday flight for me. I think I may be having an early dinner on the Saturday, but the more the merrier.

By the way, I had a run around Tiergarten (near the start/finish of the race) on the Saturday morning last year (the day before the race), and it was amazing, as they were setting up the place for the in-line skating marathon, and the next day's proceedings. So if you're looking for something to capture the spirit of the day, and a few easy miles to stretch the legs and ease the nerves, then head to the Tiergarten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Will probably head out on the Saturday for an easy 30 minutes, although I need to plan my day to make sure I hit the expo at a good time to avoid crowds. Might try to get up early, get to expo, and then out for a gentle run around lunchtime.

The Saturday morning run that's mentioned in the info they sent us looks appealing given that it finishes in the Olympic Stadium. Although might not be worth the hassle.

4 stars (good)
    It does sound good, but a lie-in sounds better. :)

3 stars (average)
    Peckham wrote: »
    although I need to plan my day to make sure I hit the expo at a good time to avoid crowds.

I am starting to worry a bit now.
    I'm on the 10:00am flight from Dublin on the SATURDAY! arriving into Schonefeld @2:00pm local time. Taxi times from Schonefeld to Platz der Luftbrucke should be no more than 20min, but if the flight is delayed......
    The queues sound as if they are gonna be long and slow moving, and I think i will have to queue twice (for race number & for t-shirt?).

Is it realistic and do-able. Or am I putting myself under unnecessary pressure?
    I don't mind queing too much but am i cutting it fine time-wise?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    flying out on thursday and back on the tuesday as i haven't been in berlin before.might go to the expo on thurs if i can and do a bit of sightseeing on fri.must try and find a park around the appartment i'm staying in for a few jogs,tempted by the breakfast run just to get on the track in the olympic stadium.

Advertisement