Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modding an Epiphone dot (Suggestions welcome!)

Options
  • 26-08-2014 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I want to upgrade an Epiphone dot and I will post photos here of my progress as it happens, over the next few weeks. If any one has any experience in doing this before, please comment as I would love to hear your input.

I know that because of different building techniques and materials, an Epiphone Dot will never sound exactly like a Gibson, but it's not my goal to achieve exactly that. I am Just looking to improve some areas of the guitar.

I want to improve the playability, tone and tuning stability. Visual Aesthetics are not important for now as I like the look , but might change out the scratch plate, knobs ,etc. much later.

First and foremost I will get it a good set up as I think this will help playability. Should probably be the first thing anyone does if modding a guitar. It could be all it needs. I think playability and tuning may be the the 2 weaker areas on this guitar, it could be a quality control issue.

The Tone isn't all that bad , but it could afford to be a little less muddy at times, and be more warm and clear(transparent even), so I will probably do the obligatory pick up swap. I would like to get hot rodded vintage rock tones and warm jazz clean tones with all encompassed in between, ie. blues, funk , rock, alternative. No modern metal or hardcore tones needed or ultra ultra clean tones,

In bullet points I will detail the hardware I am considering modding.

- Set up (action, intonation, fret work, etc.)
    - Tuners, Bridge and stop tail, nut
    - Pickups
    - Wiring harness ie Wires, pots, caps etc.

Feel free to comment. Suggested hardware would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fuzzbrew

More photos

More photos

More photos

More photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

I would highly recommend getting someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it. I have just had my Epi studio rewired, and the difference is amazing. Same pickups etc, a couple of Bournes pots and a new set of strings. It really is like a different guitar. It wasn't expensive either.

Beautiful guitar by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

piezo bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

fuzzbrew wrote: »
    I know that because of different building techniques and materials, an Epiphone Dot will never sound exactly like a Gibson, but it's not my goal to achieve exactly that. I am Just looking to improve some areas of the guitar.

I strongly advise investing in some good pickups.

I'm a classic rock/blues player and I put gibson 57 classics into an epiphone sheraton a couple of years back along with new wiring.

The difference was phenomenal.

I'd love to put a bigsby on it now but the pickups were worth every penny.

Thanks for the input guys. First thing I want to do is improve the playability. So a good set up is what I am going for first.

Keyzer wrote: »
    I strongly advise investing in some good pickups.

I'm a classic rock/blues player and I put gibson 57 classics into an epiphone sheraton a couple of years back along with new wiring.

The difference was phenomenal.

I'd love to put a bigsby on it now but the pickups were worth every penny.

The thought if a bigsby did occur to me, but it's unnecessary expenditure for me, for now. First and foremost, I want the playability and tuning improved. The guitar just feels a bit stiff and rough around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Sound like you have a sound plan, OP. You say the tuning is off. That could well be caused by something other than the tuners, but maybe you know that.

Anyway, are you thinking of doing the setup before you replace the nut, bridge, etc? Cos that's not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

if the tuning is off then the bridge likely needs adjusted.

the harmonic on the 12th fret should be the same pitch as the fretted note.

a setup'll fix that

locking tuners will NOT

if you've gone up a gauge of strings you might be getting extra friction through the nut, and of course old strings loose their elasticity.

Advertisement