Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT

• 18-03-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone know what the potential fine is if you're late with VRT registration. Car was brought in 10 weeks ago, due to traveling not been able to register it, but booking appointment tomorrow morning to have it registered in the next 10 days.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Isn't it 0.5% per day or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sorry, 0.1%

b1O7AWQ.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Just produce your own reciept stating a recent date of import. They don't tend to care too much

• Registered Users Posts: 4 southcoaster

Thanks Kenny Logins.

ian87, heard they are quite demanding in regards to info as to when car was brought in, proof that it was driven elsewhere if not here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks Kenny Logins.

ian87, heard they are quite demanding in regards to info as to when car was brought in, proof that it was driven elsewhere if not here etc.

They are not, a Postit note taken out of your pocket with a date of sale will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

As far as i can see there are 2 steps for getting irish plates on a car.

1. Register the car and arrange VRT exam in NCT centre.
    2. Arrive to VRT centre with relevant forms, receipt of purchase and proof of shipping date.

Am I correct in saying that the guys will know exactly how many days youve had the car in the country based on receipt / shipping details.

Think this may be correct:-

If you registered the car after 50 days bringing into the country the folowing would apply:-

Example VRT on Car = 2000
    .1% per day fine for late registration = 2 euro per day
    after 50days = fine would be 100.

Total due to get plates would be 2100?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

eire_lad wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the guys will know exactly how many days youve had the car in the country based on receipt / shipping details.
    You do not have to have any shipping details. You could have bough the car from the previous owner that delivered the car for you.

But the question will be asked how long the car is in the country, and revenue do have access to all shipping info via ferry records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Yeah just tell them you came in with it yesterday - doubt they will dig too deep for proof - sure what about dealers that have uk regs sitting on the forecourts for a few weeks? I doubt they will pay the .1% per day

Dealers are exempt from the same rule as a private buy. Also your car can be confiscated after 30 days...what happens then....

• Advertisement

eire_lad wrote: »
    Dealers are exempt from the same rule as a private buy. Also your car can be confiscated after 30 days...what happens then....

I see - was curious about this as a car dealer in my locality who i dont want to name, but lets just say hes pubished a book called "Shepards Pie" - has been driving a Northern registered Jag as a daily for well over a year now - its never on the forecourt for sale, seems to be personal use only.

Just a seperate question - If I was interested in purchasing a car from someone else who had brought the car into the country 5 months but not paid the VRT and not had the car registered, how would that work?

The receipt would be in his name, he had the car delivered and hes been driving in unregistered as such for 5 months..... Would it be better to have him register the car before buying it?

Is there a risk that Id buy the car and be screwed for a fine when paying for VRT...

Id say its possible that Customs could stick you with the bill instead of the guy that originally imported - the official line is that only authorised dealers can sell uk registered cars in the Rep of Ireland and the car will only be handed to you once VRT paid has been paid by the dealer and the car has been re-registered. Officially - Private sellers cant sell you a UK registered vehicle in this country.

thats my understanding of it.

So if i was buying aUK car privately from someone in this country it must be registered in his name first then a change of ownership form filled out to my name. So basically, he must look after VRT etc before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4 glaba

Hi guys totally different question.
    My wife was living in the Uk prior to coming to Ireland last year in September. Before she moved here we bought a vehicle in U.K with the intension of my wife using it when she goes back. She drove the vehicle to Ireland last year in October. The Uk log book is registered in my name from around same time last year. I have decided to register it in Ireland since my wife has decided to stay here eventually. Am i liable to pay a fine since September last year even though the vehicle was registered in my name over there. The vehicle was parked in my drive since it arrived. Can i simple tell them it arrived in the state last month or...just declare the correct date.

**** The vehicle came through a port in Northern Ireland, Invoice and receipts of sale are all back dated September 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boghopper

Hi, wondering if anyone can point me a way out of my problem, I bought my northern reg car in April off a private seller on facebook in April and due to financial constraints at the time I am only now in a position to get the VRT sorted now. Since doing a bit of research over the last couple of days I see now that there are a lot more hurdles to jump when it comes to paperwork . The new VRTVPD2 form states that you have to name the person who you bought the Vehicle from, their address and contact number. I don't have the persons details as it was bought off a private seller in a car park in Strabane. Does this have to be filled as it states on the form "This form must be completed by a person other than an Authorised Person in respect of a vehicle being presented for registration at an NCTS Centre". What does this phrase even mean. I don't mind about paying fines for late presentation. Another option that i have is that I could register the car back in my childhood address in Northern Ireland and change ownership to my brother who could then pass ownership back to myself again sorting out both problems but would this be classed as being legal as no money would be passing hands??? I just want to do this right and not bring myself into doing something that isn't legal. Any advice given would be a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Isn't the person's name and address on the V5?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boghopper

No , doesnt seem to add up, the address in the V5 is in Fermanagh and i bought the car in Strabane.

Advertisement