Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hawke mildot

• 26-06-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the true mildot magnification on a Hawke varmint 6-24x44 and will the standard USMC mildot on strelok work with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

In general, the Mil dot only actually measures/subtends 1 Mil at 100m at one particular magnification. With my NSX-series Nightforce scopes, that just happens to be when they are set to x22 - a hash-mark on the zoom ring shows this odd position.

There is no such animal as a USMC Mil dot - it has no ownership, being an official measurement of an angle.

What you have to do is to check out the magnification on YOUR scope that makes it correct at 100m - all else follows from that. Is there no mention of it in the instructions?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well there is a difference between trigonometric mil and the NATO mil and scope manufacturers do use both.
    It would be guess work on my part as to which version Hawke use.

Here's a youtube video of a March scope which apparently uses NATO mil, according to one commentator, being tested on a trigonometric mil test board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, hooda thort it, eh? Thanks for the elucidation.

It is of some little interest that every person in the entire armed forces of NATO is taught to use the 1/6400 Mildot.

Be interesting to ask what members of the PDF/RDF use, too.

Incidentally, the Russian military use a 6000 'mil' circle - divide by 100 to get minutes. Most Russians have a watch, and can easily relate the 6000 'mil' circle to analogue watch time.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garv123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the true mildot magnification on a Hawke varmint 6-24x44...................

10 power. Apparently. Had one and had to find this out too.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    10 power. Apparently. Had one and had to find this out too.

That's the answer I was like looking for. Did u use strelok with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Check it yourself. Mildots are 100mm at 100m.

To save a walk use it at 50m.
    So draw up a big'ish cross with markings from the centre at 50mm, 100mm, 150mm, 200mm each side of centre and at 50m zoom in/out until the markings line up. When they all line up that is when the zoom of your scope is true.

In Strelok use the army mildot.

easy peasy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garv123 wrote: »
    Did u use strelok with it?

Afraid not. I just like to know the true ranging mag setting for my scopes as i sometimes use it to range the distance. I don't use any BC in conjunction with the scope. The formula is :

Height of Target (in yards) X 1,000 : Divided by : Total amount of Mil-Dots the target "covers" = Distance to target.

For example a Crow is say (pure guess) 10 inches tall which is 0.25 yards. It takes up 3 mil-dots in your scope on the ranging magnification setting. So it's 10 x 0.25 yds / 3 = 83 yards to the crow.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

If you don't want to convert inches to yards then get the size of the target in inches divide by mills and multiply by 27.7 = the distance in yards.
    eg 10" / .5 mills = 20 x 27.7 = 554 yards.

Advertisement