Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.22 bird shot

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Can it be got anymore? Pigeons in the sheds but can't seem to find anywhere that has it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Have a handful of them left at home myself but they were never up to much to be honest - CB ammo can be just as hard to find but is more effective IMO. PCP air rifle in that circumstance is better than both - I do a bit of that sort of thing for a few locals around me, if you're anywhere around the Enfield-Mullingar belt then drop a PM and I'll see about tipping over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

It is handy got but a bit pricey and isnt any use Ive found. All I use it for is dispatching in live catch traps at point blank range. I also have cb ammo and its what Id consider "rat accurate" out to about 30 yards but that may just be in my rifle. Patrick Carley in Wexford has them and ships them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Snakezilla wrote: »
    It is handy got but a bit pricey and isnt any use Ive found. All I use it for is dispatching in live catch traps at point blank range. I also have cb ammo and its what Id consider "rat accurate" out to about 30 yards but that may just be in my rifle. Patrick Carley in Wexford has them and ships them too.
    Where that in Wexford?
    They always done she job for me anyway but ya would want to be fairly close

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

i also do a bit of cleaning sheds of vermin, i use a pcp air rifle with adjustable power so it will not damage sheets of
    iron. i live in mid to south kildare if i can help give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Where that in Wexford?
    They always done she job for me anyway but ya would want to be fairly close

http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Hilltop in Newtownmount Kennedy usually have some in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Paul O Halloran in Drangan, I bought them there 2 weeks ago. .22 Bird shots that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Lads,
    Whats the effective range of that .22 birdshot ? - I have a similar need, for shooting the pigeons in farmyard buildings.
    Ta
    S'Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Lads,
    Whats the effective range of that .22 birdshot ? - I have a similar need, for shooting the pigeons in farmyard buildings.
    Ta
    S'Doc

About 3 or 4 yards in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

rsole1 wrote: »
    About 3 or 4 yards in my opinion.

I'd agree with that - hence the preference for the CB rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Will_mck

I read that .22 bird shot is very bad for the rifling on your barrel so I personally wouldn't use it and as stated you need to be very close to kill. I'd try to find someone who has an air-rifle for that job

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Larry60

I would take it that larrymiller already owns a .22lr rifle and probably wants to use the weapon to hand and that being the case ball&cap rounds are definatly the way to go for killing pigeons as opposed the .22lr shotshells which in my opinion are really not that effective, however in a confined space the ball&cap are more likely to pose a potential problem of ricochet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

wildhunter stock them

Sorry was off the radar for a while, have a .22 not really interested in changing it.
    Birdshot does the job for me might only use 10 a year

daithi55 wrote: »
    wildhunter stock them

Where's that?

daithi55 wrote: »
    wildhunter stock them

Looked on there website but can't see it

http://www.thegunstore.ie/eu/ammunition/federal-22-bird-shot.html

Is this what in looking for? Don't want holes in my shed but all advice taken

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

.22 birdshot is about as useful as a skillet of cold piss.

hathcock wrote: »
    .22 birdshot is about as useful as a skillet of cold piss.

Why? It does the job without damaging old roofs.

Why? It does the job without damaging old roofs.

has an effective range of about 4 yards

• Advertisement

hathcock wrote: »
    has an effective range of about 4 yards

True but that's not an issue for me there just up there in there nests sh!tting on me.
    What would you reconend?

True but that's not an issue for me there just up there in there nests sh!tting on me.
    What would you reconend?

Either pull down the nests or **** right back at em.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

http://www.thegunstore.ie/eu/ammunition/federal-22-bird-shot.html

Is this what in looking for? Don't want holes in my shed but all advice taken

Yes they're one brand, I have some Winchester bird shot. If you can't get any I'll post you some of mine so you can see how you get on. Doubt you'll penetrate a birds nest, though the bang will probably frighten them away.

Advertisement