Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

was on the velodrome on thurs nite trying to get a decent time on the road circuit and pushing so hard up the hill the back wheel starts skipping off the road in time with the pedal strokes. Never gotten that before, kinda scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Also targeting advertising whenever I'm on the 410 forum:
    229910.png

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Potential Christmas gift for the cycling woman in your life:

bow_peep_crochet_gloves_burgundy1.jpg

For reference though, I showed that picture to my wife and there was more than a hint of impending divorce in her response.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Streakers invade the track at the Gent Six

photo_047480_220.jpg

:eek:

You'd think before streaking he would have at least have had the decency to wax that chest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Another lovely night for cycling, although it's the time of year when I'm yet again glad of the 35mm tires on my commuter, I saw more than a couple of cars skidding and slipping around. Take care lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

229910.png

I've never gotten that one but I consistently get that EPOboost ad shown between posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

229910.png

I thought those ads were based on your search history;)

DealExtreme and Vodafone are appearing in my view of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Is A1 racing achievable in four years for a 22 year old, in good shape (73-4kg, 182cm tall), and who has alright legs already?

I'm beginning to concoct a plan for my future world domination ... Beginning to plan out training and a better diet with less salt, processed foods, and other stuff. What do we think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Is A1 racing achievable in four years for a 22 year old, in good shape (73-4kg, 182cm tall), and who has alright legs already?

I'm beginning to concoct a plan for my future world domination ... Beginning to plan out training and a better diet with less salt, processed foods, and other stuff. What do we think?

Are you racing in A4 yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Jawgap, Hmmzis, Cookie Monster:

Adblock is the business:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Well, based on your weight and height, I'd say no, you haven't a chance, but depending on your eye colour and shoe size you might still be in with a chance....

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

This year looks like my first year in a4 ... I really can't judge where I stand. My friends say I shouldn't find it difficult and will probably win something--though racing is always difficult even if you're strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you follow colm_gti's example and ride every spare minute you can find in 2013, you could easily be riding at the top of A3 level in 2014.

This year looks like my first year ... I really can't judge where I stand. My friends say I shouldn't find it difficult and will probably win something--though racing is always difficult even if you're strong.
    Get yourself a licence.Train like a hoor over the winter. Pick a few races that suit you ie climber, sprinter, off the front head the ball and do them. Then you you will see how racing suits you.

seamus wrote: »
    If you follow colm_gti's example and ride every spare minute you can find in 2013, you could easily be riding at the top of A3 level in 2014.

Hey, I'm only doing Saturday club spins til racing starts again ;)

This year looks like my first year in a4 ... I really can't judge where I stand. My friends say I shouldn't find it difficult and will probably win something--though racing is always difficult even if you're strong.

There's no point in worrying about A1 if you haven't even raced at A4 yet. Have your friends raced? You can be the fittest and strongest rider in A4 and still get dropped if you don't know how to race. You could be a freak and take to it straight away, but chances are you're like the rest of us and it will take you a few races to settle in and figure out where you need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My friends say I shouldn't find it difficult and will probably win something

That's just setting you up for failure, tbh.

Just train reasonably hard and then see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Fuuuuuuucking Garmin. Ride over to Dundrum this morning. Ride about 85km down toward Greystones and back. Ride back to Drumcondra.

Only recorded the first ride properly.

edit: I take it back, it only recorded the last ride properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    Get yourself a licence.Train like a hoor over the winter. Pick a few races that suit you ie climber, sprinter, off the front head the ball and do them. Then you you will see how racing suits you.

How exactly do hoors train? On their backs, knees or bent over? I don't know any so I'm not sure of it and how it benefits cycling!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    How exactly do hoors train?

By riding every spare minute they have.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm yet again glad of the 35mm tires on my commuter, I saw more than a couple of cars skidding and slipping around
    I would have thought that 35mm tyres would be worse in slippery (on road) conditions as one's weight would be spread over a greater area.
    Wouldn't 23's press the same weight into a smaller area and therefore increase grip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I would have thought that 35mm tyres would be worse in slippery (on road) conditions as one's weight would be spread over a greater area.
    Wouldn't 23's press the same weight into a smaller area and therefore increase grip?

It should do yeah.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No - the more area in touch with the road surface the more grip you get - wider tyres are definitely the better option when slippery (which is why a lot of riders switch from 23mm on their summer racers to 25mm on their winter hacks)

Beasty's right, and you also have to consider the knobbly surface too. Something like Schwalbe Ultremos, being completely slick, will in no way put down traction on a slippery surface. Knobbly tyres with more rubber to the road will grip more than ordinary road tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Beasty's right, and you also have to consider the knobbly surface too. Something like Schwalbe Ultremos, being completely slick, will in no way put down traction on a slippery surface. Knobbly tyres with more rubber to the road will grip more than ordinary road tyres.

Wider tyres mean more contact area which means more grip. They're also lower pressure which (I think) also contributes to more grip.
    Knobby versus smooth doesn't make any difference on hard tarmac, only on loose surfaces where you need to bite into it.

Well, I think we've found the row that High Nellie was looking for here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815898

Really, I think we have to consider the specifics of the surface the road - Perfectly sheet ice, like on an ice rink, or basically snow/slush/sleet/"wet ice" road.

If only to confuse the matter further, I'll defer to this video

And ask you all to remember what makes ice slippery, is the thin film of water on top of the ice :P

Also, these videos were made with a car, and its level of wheelspin probably equates to loss of control on a bike...Maybe?

I have forgtotten the bloody pass word to my 3rd ebay account.
    Bloody password's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    I have forgtotten the bloody pass word to my 3rd ebay account.
    Bloody password's.

Three eBay accounts? Pray, do tell why?

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Three eBay accounts? Pray, do tell why?

Well the first one I stopped using as there was an issue with a dope who I sold some campy stuff in Taiwan.
    He opened up a paypal dispute AND LOST! So I just closed that account in case he started bidding on stuff I was selling.
    Opened up a new one but could not remember my password then when I went to remember password option it kept telling me I was answering incorrectly.
    So I opened up a new one a few weeks back and am now in the same situation. I believe the problem arises in those stupid postcode's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Dude.. lastpass.com , thank me later :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement