Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I raise your oncoming car passing out cyclist to two oncoming large articulated trucks have a drag race side-by-side with no intention of getting back to their side of the road as I passed them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was doing a charity cycle in Galway yesterday and a big group of us overtook 3 Gardaí on their bikes yesterday. They were really struggling ..... it was great!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was doing a charity cycle in Galway yesterday and a big group of us overtook 3 Gardaí on their bikes yesterday. They were really struggling ..... it was great!! :D:D

I hope you did it in single file.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I raise your oncoming car passing out cyclist to two oncoming large articulated trucks have a drag race side-by-side with no intention of getting back to their side of the road as I passed them. :mad:

McAuliffe Trucking? :p

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Winter gloves and balaclava arrived tonight, looking forward to going out on the bike and not freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

No wonder the wife has taken up cycling, she's on about entering the TdF next year..

225497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Didn't want to start a thread all on its own for this as its just a quick question.

I'v never had a road bike before but have been given an old Peugeot PSN 10 road bike and want to use it as my current bike is temporarily out of commission. The pump I use for my mountain bike doesn't seem to fit. Is there a special pump I have to get? Can anyone point me in the right direction as I'm a complete novice when it comes to bike parts etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Presta valve usually

Any bicycle shop should lend you their pump and that should sort you.

You can get a valve adaptor which should fit your pump, should cost €1 or €2 from your local bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

BX 19 wrote: »
    Presta valve usually

Any bicycle shop should lend you their pump and that should sort you.
    Dónal wrote: »
    You can get a valve adaptor which should fit your pump, should cost €1 or €2 from your local bike shop.

Thanks for the quick reply's. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Colmhayden76

Just wanted to put this up if people could pass it around to any one who you might know who it affects.
    Willier have issued a recall on all izoard xp front forks issued between Oct 2011 to 19th oct 2012 due to a potental failure where the carbon meets the aluminum steerer.
    What Willier have requested is that the bike is returned to the dealer who can check the serial no against the batch list of faulty ones. if found to be dodgey Willier will replace it F.O.C.

It only affects the Izoard XP and none other in the range so my cento Uno is fine but the wife aint happy with the thought of a trek up to Howth from Waterford!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a spare tyre from a new wheel, so decided to throw it on my commuter bike as I thought, not my usuals, but should be fine.
    Front wheel nearly came from under me going down Dundrum hill, and then I punctured before I got to work.

Moral of the story, if you have something that works, don't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

8115912181_bd3f7fac21_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Idiots out in force tonight!

It started off with a woman giving me a lecture over not having any reflective clothing or reflectors on the bicycle, despite having reflective piping on my shoes and jacket, 2 headlights (one on full beam (400 lumens) and one flashing (200 lumens)) and a tail light. I treated her with the disdain she deserved.

I then had an artic overtake me only to pull in and stop after barely getting past me.

This was followed immediately by a smidsy from an oriental woman who never even bothered to look my way (until I shouted) as she pulled out of a side road in front of me. At least she put up an apologetic hand to acknowledge her error.

Lastly, I was overtaken by a minibus taxi, 10 metres short of a speed ramp, who could not complete the pass because of slowing for the ramp which I negotiated at full speed. In the process he brought approaching vehicles to a standstill. He then had the audacity to hoot at me as if it was my fault.

These 10 minutes of idiot overload follow weeks of uneventful, incident free and hassle free cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This was followed immediately by a smidsy from an oriental woman who never even bothered to look my way (until I shouted) as she pulled out of a side road in front of me. At least she put up an apologetic hand to acknowledge her error.

She knew she was wong!

(dah-dum, tish)

Lumen wrote: »

She knew she was wong!

(dah-dum, tish)

And has done wonders for Sino-cyclist relations by acknowledging that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

John Franklin Stephens gives Ann Coulter polite but effective put down:
    http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

CramCycle wrote: »
    John Franklin Stephens gives Ann Coulter polite but effective put down:
    specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

She called Obama a Republican?
    :)

Seriously, she's not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path. Fortunately I anticipted this idiot not looking at my direction hurtling at him through the junction (if he doesn't look I don't exist, right?!). I informed him calmly that he had a red light, he retorted "really?... blah blah blah". I didn't get the blah blah bit as I was already too far ahead of him.

It's up to us cyclist to give out to those cyclists breaking red people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hungrycol wrote: »
    This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path. Fortunately I anticipted this idiot not looking at my direction hurtling at him through the junction (if he doesn't look I don't exist, right?!). I informed him calmly that he had a red light, he retorted "really?... blah blah blah". I didn't get the blah blah bit as I was already too far ahead of him.

It's up to us cyclist to give out to those cyclists breaking red people.

If you're wearing a helmet, I think pulling a Renshaw is fair game. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hungrycol wrote: »
    This morning, me on bike, I had green light and continued on through the junction, POB on my left at the jctn had red (naturally as I had green) but he decided to continue his turning left manouver into my path.

Only POB I know is a Polish bean. What is it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

pob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

POB = Person On a Bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Can anyone recommend a decent bike shop, near enough to Ashbourne, that will supply and fit a headset to a brand new frame and forks on the spot, first thing tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Ritchies in Swords might be worth a call

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Humphreys in Finglas?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

doozerie wrote: »
    POB = Person On a Bike

Pedestrian on Bike is the usual defenition here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

colm_gti wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent bike shop, near enough to Ashbourne, that will supply and fit a headset to a brand new frame and forks on the spot, first thing tomorrow?
    if its an integrated headset I will do it for you this eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

bcmf wrote: »
    if its an integrated headset I will do it for you this eve.

Ah dammit, only seeing this now....in the end I decided not to take the day off college, brought the frame and forks in with me and dropped it into the college bike shop to get done, should be ready in half an hour :o

But thanks a mil for the offer, very much appreciated!

PS. On the off chance they don't have a BB tool they can sell me in the bike shop, would you happen to have one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have a BBB shimano bb tool that should fit most cups except Campy
    colm_gti wrote: »

Ah dammit, only seeing this now....in the end I decided not to take the day off college, brought the frame and forks in with me and dropped it into the college bike shop to get done, should be ready in half an hour :o

But thanks a mil for the offer, very much appreciated!

PS. On the off chance they don't have a BB tool they can sell me in the bike shop, would you happen to have one of those?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement