Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grant Letter Received. A few questions...

Options
  • 24-06-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

So. As the title states, I received the grant letter for my first rifle today. A Marlin XT .22.

I paid the post office for the licence today as well.

The grant letter doesn't say anything about my ammunition limit or whether or not I'm allowed have a moderator. Should it say something about these?

Can I collect the rifle tomorrow, or do I need to wait until the actual plastic licence arrives?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Congrats on the gun !

You should wait until you get the actual licence just to be on the safe side. It won't take long.

Can't quite remember my own grant letters mentioning mods or ammo limits. Don't think they did. It'll all be on the licence.

Assuming you did apply for a mod check it straight away when you get the licence. It seems its a common problem with a mod being granted but not ticked on the licence.

Someone will be along soon to let you know for definite no doubt.

Safe shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

You won't know about ammo limit or the moderator until the licence arrives. The ammo limit will be printed on the back and if you get the moderator there will be an S in the left hand corner of the licence some dealers will release the rifle with the Grant letter and post office receipt some won't you can always ring and find out. If you paid today you should have the licence by Friday or Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Thanks guys!

I did apply for a moderator, so hopefully they ticked the relevant box or boxes.

Best off waiting until the licence arrives so. At least then I'll know for sure what my ammo limit and moderator status is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Did you also write a letter requesting the mod or just tick the box.

No letter. Just ticked the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Samsung421

Just as a side question. How long did the grant letter take from first sending in application. Just curios about time wise. Waiting on .22 from Tipp area.

Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Samsung421 wrote: »
    Just as a side question. How long did the grant letter take from first sending in application. Just curios about time wise. Waiting on .22 from Tipp area.

Congrats again.

It's different for everyone. Some places get sorted quicker than others. Technically it should be done within 3 months for a new application and 14 days for a substitution. It doesn't always work out like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Samsung421

Ya. Had rifles, pistols back in 2012 but sold them due to finincial circumstances.
    Wondering with prior licences historocally, would it speed up the process.
    Just want to get out hunting again.

Samsung421 wrote: »

Congrats again.

About four months to the day.

Thanks!

Pedro K wrote: »
    No letter. Just ticked the box.

It's unlikely to be granted without a letter but not unheard of.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be granted without a letter but not unheard of.

I wrote a letter and sent it in with my application. When the licence came out, there was no magic 'S' on it.

I went into the local station and asked what was the story. He said it was probably a mistake as I hadn't received a refusal.

He said he'd check it out and 4 days later I received a reprinted licence with the magic 'S' on it.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wrote a letter and sent it in with my application. When the licence came out, there was no magic 'S' on it.

I went into the local station and asked what was the story. He said it was probably a mistake as I hadn't received a refusal.

He said he'd check it out and 4 days later I received a reprinted licence with the magic 'S' on it.

Proving my point that even with a letter they're refused so even less likely to be granted by just ticking the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Same thing happened me, I went back down to see the FO and she said "Ach sure there's no need for that, I rang Dublin and they said it didn't matter."

A few years later I applied for an amendment just to be on the safe side and it was granted no problem.

Same thing happened me, I went back down to see the FO and she said "Ach sure there's no need for that, I rang Dublin and they said it didn't matter."

Can you imagine standing up in court while you are being prosecuted for having a moderator with no licence and saying "ah shur the FO told me I didn't need an S on my licence Judge".

Emmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. That wouldn't work.

You did the right thing getting permission later on down the road.

Received licence today. No S. Oh well.

Picked up the gun today. Happy enough! :)

Received licence today. No S. Oh well.

Picked up the gun today. Happy enough! :)

If you haven't received a refusal letter, then go in to your Garda station and follow it up.

That's what I did, and now I have the magic "S" on my licence.

If you haven't received a refusal letter, then go in to your Garda station and follow it up.

That's what I did, and now I have the magic "S" on my licence.

Will do, thanks.

I didn't receive any official moderator refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

There doens't seem to be any logic to it. I have found it difficult to get at times, but was never actually refused.

.17HMR No refusal letter, just didn't appear the first time. Got it after I wrote in as a special request.
    .22lr got it on the first application that had an accompanying letter.
    .243 just ticked the box and it appeared on the licence.
    .308 No refusal, but no S on the licence either, the application did have an accompanying letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 deerhunter 25-06

Nearly all of the moderator permits granted down my side of the country are given after a meeting with the superintendant, thats the way its been for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Nearly all of the moderator permits granted down my side of the country are given after a meeting with the superintendant, thats the way its been for a few years now.

Which part of the country is that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Will do, thanks.

I didn't receive any official moderator refusal.
    Any movement on this?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Any movement on this?

I decided against it, because my rifle isn't threaded for a moderator, which means (I stand open to correction) I would have to get a gunsmith to thread the barrel.

I decided against it, because my rifle isn't threaded for a moderator, which means (I stand open to correction) I would have to get a gunsmith to thread the barrel.

I'd follow it up, if only to know is there something in a file somewhere stating that you were refused.

As Battlecorp said i'd follow it up regardless. Better to have the "S" and decide when/if you want to buy a mod than "just accept it" and not have that option.

Also, as was said above, you have to be refused in writing. On my last three licenses (new and subs) they all came back without the "S". A phone call and 3 days later i had new licenses with the "S" on them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Fair enough. Will do. I'll write up a letter this evening and post it tomorrow morning.

Thanks lads.

A call should suffice. Inform them you got the license, but it did not have the S. If they say you were refused ask for the refusal letter as is required. However i'd come at it from the "where the feck is my S" stance if ya get me. IOW like you're entitled. Not nasty or rude, just "firm".

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Got granted a .22 air rifle at 16 swapped for a .22lr with a silencer at 17.Super down my way is dead on :D Hopefully my shotty licence goes through fast enough :D

Will phone them tomorrow instead of the letter so!

What has the procedure been for you guys when getting it reissued with the S? Did you have to go back to the post office or was it just immediately reissued?

What has the procedure been for you guys when getting it reissued with the S? Did you have to go back to the post office or was it just immediately reissued?

I called into the station, spoke to the Guard there and she said she'd sort it out.

Four days later, a reprint of my licence with the S on it came in the post.

If they are going to allow you to have a moderator, the reissued licence will come in the post.

• Advertisement

Firearms officer in court today. Will ring again tomorrow.

Advertisement