Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

MNSCI Sporting Rifle Comp- July 26th 2015

• 28-06-2015 11:41pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The MNSCI are proud to announce the first of the sporting rifle comps for this year to take place on July 26th 2015. Due to a hectic schedule and the preparations for the Creedmoor these comps were somewhat late in starting but are finally here.

Details are light at the moment, but i'll have all of them within the next week. However to make sure everyone intending on going has as much notice as possible i'm sticking this notice up now.

It'll be a sporting rifle comp meaning any caliber. It'll be a multi shot comp so all rifles will need to be mag/blind mag fed and the usual bipod, no rear bag set ups. Amount of shots and timing will be announced shortly. As will all distances but it'll definitely be 100 & 200 with the possibility of 300 and maybe even further depending on interest.

There will be awards and prizes on the day. A full list of them will be provided asap, but i can say that the first place prize is a brand new Ruger .300 WinMag rifle.

So keep an eye on this thread for updates as they come along.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

How many rounds (total) do you prefer to fire in a comp 13 votes

1 - 4
    0% 0 votes
    5 - 9
    7% 1 vote
    10 - 14
    0% 0 votes
    15 - 20
    0% 0 votes
    21 - 30
    61% 8 votes
    As many as i can
    30% 4 votes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I hope to get up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Lovely, been waiting for one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

All rightt! :D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

patsat wrote: »
    Lovely, been waiting for one of these!
    Now were talking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just got a text to let me know that full details should be available by tomorrow so i'll have them up on this thread by Saturday evening at the latest.

In the meantime here is a picture of the rifle. Ready and waiting to be collected by the winner.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Just in from the range and i have the details of the comp. It will be a 100 & 200 yard competition with a small "unofficial comp" to kick things off.
    Details are:

Cold Bore Shot.

Before the actual comp starts we will have an "unofficial" comp with a cold bore shoot. The premise is simple. Every shooter will get into the prone firing position and their first shot will be at a bullseye target. There will be no sighters, no fouling shots, nothing. Each shot will be measured and the closest one to the dead centre of the bullseye will be the winner.

The prize will be a small thing (refund of entrance fee or something to that extent) as it's more a bit of fun, and something to kick off the actual comp.

100 Yard shoot.

The 100 yard shoot will be, obviously, at 100 yards. All competitors will be in the prone position. You will fire 3 shots at the target, reload, then fire another 3 shots. Time will be allowed between shoots to allow for reloading of the mag. The target will be a animal shaped target that will be chosen at random. All competitors will have the same animal target so everyone has the same chance, and same point of aim.

All shots will be timed. The actual amount of time will be given on the day, but it's expected to be approx 20 second for the first 3 and 15 seconds for the second three shots.

There will be a magnification limit set on all scopes. The exact magnification limit will be set on the day, but it's expected to be approx. 15 power. PLEASE remember this may rise or be lowered on the day. Each rifle will be checked prior to firing and after firing to ensure the appropriate mag setting is on each scope and ensure no increase in mag limit occurs during the comp. You may use a lower setting than this if that is all your scope allows for or you simply wish to use.

200 Yard shoot.

This is, again obviously, shot at 200 yards. The target will be a bullseye target. Competitors will shoot 4 rounds, reload, and fire 4 more shots. Time will be allowed between shoots to allow for reloading of the mag. All shots will be from the prone position.

It is a timed shoot. The actual amount of time will be given on the day, but it's expected to be approx 60 seconds for the first 4 and 45 seconds for the second four shots.

There will be a magnification limit set on all scopes. The exact magnification limit will be set on the day, but it's expected to be approx. 20 power. PLEASE remember this may rise or be lowered on the day. Each rifle will be checked prior to firing and after firing to ensure the appropriate mag setting is on each scope and ensure no increase in mag limit occurs during the comp. You may use a lower setting than this if that is all your scope allows for or you simply wish to use.

PLEASE read and understand these competition rules to avoid disappointment on the day.
    • You may use any rifle type (semi auto, bolt action, etc)
    • Any caliber on all shoots.
    • NO Muzzles Brakes
    • Suppressors are fine.
    • All rifles MUST have a magazine or blind mag. IOW no single shot rifles.
    • Even rifles with a mag CANNOT be fed one at a time. All rounds must be fed from a detachable magazine or blind magazine. IOW you must cycle the bolt to load the first through to the last round.
    • Factory ammo ONLY.
    • Rifle can be custom or off the shelf. There are no limitations on any customisation done barring the single shot issue above.
    • All shooting will be from a prone (lying down) position.
    • You may use a simple sandbag or front bipod for the front of the gun. NO gun rests, vices, etc.
    • There will be NO back bags/supports/aids of any sort.
    • There will be no zeroing on the range prior to shooting. Make sure you're good to go before arriving.

A few range rules that apply regardless of competitions being held or not. These are also very important so please read and understand them.
    • All rifles MUST be cased when arriving on the range.
    • All rifles MUST be kept cased until you are called to your detail and when finished you must case the rifle and return it to your vehicle.
    • NO handling of firearms behind the firing line.
    • All firearms MUST have a breech flag or the bolt & mag removed when taking them out of the case on the firing line.
    • DO NOT load the rifle, insert the bolt/mag until the RO (Range Officer) instructs you to.
    • DO NOT fire until given the instruction to do so.
    • If in doubt about any instruction stick your hand in the air and ask. Those not familiar with range protocols might be nervous. Don't be. Just ask.
    • Make sure you have eye and ear protection with you.
    • Please have valid license for the firearms you have on the day, and current insurance details/cards.
    • All competitors MUST sign in at the range office before moving to the Creedmoor range for the comp.

It seems like a lot lads & ladies but it's basic common sense and none of ye should have any bother with it.

Any questions feel free to ask and see you all on the firing line.

Any ruling on Suppressors / brakes?

Balls. Thought i had that in. I'll edit now.

In short:

Suppressors - Fine
    Brakes - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Cass wrote: »
    Balls. Thought i had that in. I'll edit now.

In short:

Suppressors - Fine
    Brakes - No.

Just curious for the answer. Why don't they allow brakes? I've seen it on other ranges too and forgot to ask

Laying beside someone who has a .300 winmag with a brake is not fun. and off putting, Source: I have a winmag and my friends hate me

Comfort, in a word.

I shot with a brake on, and been besides lads with brakes on their rifles and i tell ya, it's not nice. Depending on caliber it's like getting slapped as the brake re-directs the gases to the side. It's great for recoil reduction, but i once shot on the range between my Father with his 30-06 and brake and another Boardsie, with his .300 winmag and brake.

F**k me, me teeth are still rattling.

The range itself does not prohibit the use of brakes on the range, but only in competitions where shooters are all lined up beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

sounds great , I plan on being there with my sps 223. was thinking of running my 308 though ,is there a rifle weight restriction ?(as she is a heavy beast)

None that i'm aware or told about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

By the way what time does this kick off at?

First shot will be at approx. 11am. So registration at the office will be open from 9:30 onwards.

Each person will have to do their stint in the butts/pits. The group will be split into two groups and then one will do the pits while the other shoots and when one is finished you'll change.

Was on the range today myself and got talking about this comp. Was wondering something which the lads asked me to put to anyone wishing to travel. Would you prefer more shots.

At times it's hard to figure out how many shots people are comfortable shooting. Some don't like having to use a full box (20), others don't like using even a full box, some prefer to get a good days shooting out of the trip regardless of amount of rounds, and then the rest simply don't care how many they fire.

So on that note i've included a poll in this thread. Based on the answers the round count for the competition may be increased, decreased or left the same. So feel free to vote and we'll see what happens on the day.

After reconsidering, given the interest in amount of shots fired, the course of fire will be as follows:
    • 1 (single) Cold Bore shot @ 100 yards. (separate fun comp with cash prize for closest to the bullseye)
    • 3 details of 3 shots @ 100 yards on animal target (Total 9 shots)
    • 2 details of 5 shots @ 200 yards at Bullseye target (Total 10 shots)

Total for the entire comp will be 20 rounds.

The forecast is not great for Sunday. Light rain throughout the day so bring wet gear and plan for the worst. If the day turns out to be too bad the comp will be moved into the sheltered range, but until then it'll go ahead on the Creedmoor as planned.

Please remember that there will be no zeroing or checking of scopes/rifles, etc. before the comp so come prepared.

All over bar the shouting. :D

Thw weather, as expected, was terrible. Held off for the most part but a light, constant, rain came in as we were heading back to 200 yards and by feck did it get wet fast. The wind was strong, but nothing the lads could not manage.

The format at 100 yards was slightly changed in that during the course of three details consisting of 3 shots the middle details of 3 shots were completely free hand in the prone position. All other shoots were with front sandbag or bipod (no back rest/bag).

Scores were pretty good overall with everyone suffering a little at the free hand ones. The grouping was nice. Turn out was a little low, but due to the conditions/weather to be expected. As a trial run for future competitions it went well and i hope (it seemed) everyone enjoyed the day.

The cold bore comp was close, very close. First place took it with only 2 mm from dead centre and to show how close it was the runner up came in at 3 mm from dead centre.

Below are a few pictures of the day. There will be more on the Facebook page and MNSCI website. The pictures show the lads in the firing position, the presentation of the awards and lastly the shooters themselves.

Congrats to all the competitors that took part, and to the lads that walked away with their prizes.

There will be another competition scheduled (provisionally) for Sunday August 23rd. The format will be the same/similar to the one today, but also a second competiton will be held the same day. It will be aimed at rimfire rifle & varmint/centrefire rifles combines. IOW fire your rimfire then C/F at various distances. The prizes for both comps will be a brand new .308 rifle for first place in each competition and various prizes for second and third place.

Thanks to the MNSCI for hosting the comp and to the range crew and pit crew that ran the comp. Hope to see everyone at the next shoot and keep an eye on the target forum for the thread giving details over the coming days/weeks.

I have all the scores from the day so anyone that attended and wants their score simply PM me with the board number you used and i'll pass on the individual and overall scores.

It was a great day out.
    Both my wife and I thought so, the rain caught us at the end but did not dampen spirits.
    I am over the moon with second place and i will be down as much as having a 2 year old toddler allows me to be.
    Thanks to all that organized the day.

patsat wrote: »

Can I make a suggestion for future shoots, a small trophy for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It doesn't have to be spectacular but it's nice to get a little thing to remember your achievement!

Thats a good idea

we need to put push ups in there somewhere.
    Or a run form the 400 to the 300 line to take the shots

And of course the "tactical roll" :D

KlTZfQD.gif

Cass wrote: »
    And of course the "tactical roll" :D

KlTZfQD.gif

It will be hard to find the dead leaves

We'll ship some in. Although i'm a little put of by the likeness. Didn't realise anyone was taping me that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How heavy are the rifles you're using?!

16-17lbs

New thread here. Closing this one.