Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

06 passat engine light

Options
  • 05-05-2015 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

All right folks. My engine light came on today with a message saying "garage emission" I have a cheap obd reader and the code is p0401. Does anyone know if this is an egr valve. I rang around a few places for the part but the price between them all is mad. Any help with be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chris500ie

The OBDII fault code P0401 means that the engine computer has detected that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system flow is insufficient. Read more how the EGR system works below.
    What could cause the code P0401

- clogged or restricted EGR passages
    - faulty EGR valve
    - EGR valve stuck closed
    - problems with the DPFE sensor (Ford)
    - problems with hoses to the DPFE sensor (Ford)
    - problem with the EGR vacuum switching valve (Toyota)
    - clogged catalytic converter
    - carboned up EGR temperature sensor
    - vacuum supply issues at the vacuum-operated EGR valve
    - electrical problems with the EGR valve control circuit
    - engine computer problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If it's a 1.9TDI then is most likely needs a replacement EGR valve. The rubber diaphragm inside them splits and they cannot open. Hence the insufficient flow error code.

The part itself is approx €110 ex VAT from VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

If it's a 1.9TDI then is most likely needs a replacement EGR valve. The rubber diaphragm inside them splits and they cannot open. Hence the insufficient flow error code.

George thank you I am getting quote for the part alone 249 here in carlow. Do you know any place near carlow or stradbally that I could get it fitted if that's what's gone on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

iano.p wrote: »
    George thank you I am getting quote for the part alone 249 here in carlow. Do you know any place near carlow or stradbally that I could get it fitted if that's what's gone on it.

I've ordered one from MisterAuto.ie for €77. Its easy to fit. A 5mm allen key, four bolts. Pop off throttle body and the EGR Valve sits behind it. Un-bolt EGR Valve and replace with new one.

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/egr-valve/volkswagen-passat-3c2-1-9-tdi-105hp_v18522_g1145.html?search_toolbar_query=egr valve

I'm replacing mine on Friday. Have the same issue and fault code. I took it off and cleaned but as posted above diaphragm is busted.

bbability wrote:
    I've ordered one from MisterAuto.ie for €77. Its easy to fit. A 5mm allen key, four bolts. Pop off throttle body and the EGR Valve sits behind it. Un-bolt EGR Valve and replace with new one.

That sounds pretty easy. Could I damage anything on the throttle body taking that off.
    bbability wrote:
    I'm replacing mine on Friday. Have the same issue and fault code. I took it off and cleaned but as posted above diaphragm is busted.

Would you be able to take pictures when you are doing it. I would appreciate it if you could. Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

That sounds pretty easy. Could I damage anything on the throttle body taking that off.

No the only thing is to be careful taking off the screws not to drop one.

Would you be able to take pictures when you are doing it. I would appreciate it if you could. Thanks for your help

Of course. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

If you blanked it off and reset ecu would that work George?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

canhefixit wrote: »
    If you blanked it off and reset ecu would that work George?

No. It is effectively blanked off as it is because it cannot open.

The ECU detects no change in the air flow entering the engine when it tries to open the valve, therefore it turns on the MIL and logs the code for insufficient flow.

The same code would be logged if you blanked off a fully functioning valve.

bbability wrote:
    Of course. No problem.

Thanks bbability I have some time of next week so ordered the part. With your pictures will help no end.

Just wondering bbability did you change yours yet. Did you snap any pictures of the broken egr.

• Advertisement

I only got the part yesterday so I hope to do it today or tomorrow.

bbability wrote:
    I only got the part yesterday so I hope to do it today or tomorrow.

Thanks mine is due tomorrow so hopefully can do it then.

Advertisement