Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

soild fuel stove advise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I burn mostly Eco Brite smokeless fuel and maybe 6 or so pieces of timber in an evening. The wood blocks are small enough as I split it pretty small to facilitate quicker drying anyway.Timber is great for quick heat but doesn't last very long. When fully fired up and burning for a couple of hours I have to leave the room door open, the heat can be oppressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I burn mostly Eco Brite smokeless fuel and maybe 6 or so pieces of timber in an evening. The wood blocks are small enough as I split it pretty small to facilitate quicker drying anyway.Timber is great for quick heat but doesn't last very long. When fully fired up and burning for a couple of hours I have to leave the room door open, the heat can be oppressive!

I cant sit in the room with my oisin on full. all doors open and it still to hot.

I had to open the window one night. Not a bad complant though.

I burn through dry logs very quick as well. I have 3 trees cut down and stored . For all the work I did, I cant see them lasting long once dry.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I burn through dry logs very quick as well. I have 3 trees cut down and stored . For all the work I did, I cant see them lasting long once dry.

Agreed, I've a second load of timber waiting to be split, thought I'd have it split, stored and seasoning for next year, say I'll be burning it a bit sooner than I planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I would like to install a wood burner in a single storey extension at the back of the house. There is no chimney in place in the room. The room is large - 9m x 4m. I have read some info in the building regs regarding the distance required for a new flue from the main house and I think I can install a wood burner on the exterior wall - the flue will be just under 4m horziontally from the upper storey windows. My questions:
    Can I install a flue pipe in the room without a chimney?
    Also how do I calculate the height of the flue required to ensure adequate draw on the fire?
    Is there a safe working height for the external flue before it requires additional propping?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Be careful with the Oisin. My back plate fire brick is vertically cracked in two *already*, and all I burn is peat briquettes - no coal. I'd say if I burnt coal the stove would explode!

Going to get on to Waterford Stanley - what a gip...I assume they'll send out a new one.

DHL-ed a new one out to me, no questions. That's service.

• Advertisement

This is how the stove looks in my sitting room.

Deadly.

Minder wrote: »
    Can I install a flue pipe in the room without a chimney?
    Also how do I calculate the height of the flue required to ensure adequate draw on the fire?
    Is there a safe working height for the external flue before it requires additional propping?

Any thoughts?

This crowd: http://www.miflues.ie should be able to advise, I know it's possible, my mate has an external twin wall, insulated flue on his single storey extension and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Minder wrote: »

Homebond recomment a flue height of 4.5m above floor level, for single storey buildings, to ensure a proper draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads was never a big fan of stove like fires but am curious as to why they give out more heat and less up the chimney than a normal open fire?

cubix wrote: »
    Lads was never a big fan of stove like fires but am curious as to why they give out more heat and less up the chimney than a normal open fire?

th flames and gases are directed around the inside of the stove. before going up the chimney. The heat sinks into the cast iron and fire bricks case before going up the flu. Plus there is much greater control of burn rate by throttling intake air. Making a little fuel go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

In addition to the above, when not in use, the chimney is effectively sealed when the stove spigot is closed.

Cheers lads, how hot does the out side of the stove get. IF the kids touched off it accedently. IF you were stuck for stuff to burn would it fair well with woods that spit alot.

It gets very hot and very young children must be supervised around it, still far safer than an open fire. I wouldn't be as anxious about my children with a stove as I used be with the open fire. Don't burn wet wood in your stove, it will only contribute to creosote build up in your flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

cubix wrote: »
    Cheers lads, how hot does the out side of the stove get. IF the kids touched off it accedently. IF you were stuck for stuff to burn would it fair well with woods that spit alot.

As Jack says, the outside gets very hot and kids must be supervised, but at least they can't fall into it like an open fire. With small kids you should use a guard.

The stove is great with wood that spits and sparks such as pine, as it is completely contained and won't let sparks on the carpet. As with all fires, wood should be well dried.

blackbox wrote: »
    The stove is great with wood that spits and sparks such as pine, as it is completely contained and won't let sparks on the carpet. As with all fires, wood should be well dried.

I should have said that I burn well seasoned softwood (spruce, building off cuts etc) which spit and spark, wouldn't do this in an open fire!

Cheers lads, think I might be converted:D. The problem now is that I have seen some fancy pants ones that go into your wall so it gives the visual effect of floating. But I am sure these are quite alot more expensive when compared to an oisin

I priced a Stovax cassette fire for someone else recently, you're talking about €1550 for the fire alone (add on for surround, hearth etc). Pricey but lovely looking job and a very good stove too, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Any tip's on cleaning soot off the front glass. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Kat1170 wrote: »

good scrub when cold of a scouring pad with some soapy warm water and then a scrape of an olde style razor blade - works a treat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭webels

Dip a wet cloth in ash and rub this to the glass followed by a dry cloth to clear the glass - works well

• Advertisement

they wont get dirty if you keep the heat turned up. they self clean.

But few cant take that heat.

I keep a bottle of viniger and newspaper. wet the newspapper with viniger and dip in ash. comes up like new. I keep a scrapper that takes stanley blades in the cubourd to get the caked in stains.

Hello,

I have the Oisin, as in the picture below. Am a bit uncomfortable about the distance from the door of the Oisin to the wooden floors. It's only about 100mm. In the long term, I want to take out the cast iron surround, make an opening in the wall wide enough to fit in the oisin and then get a custom cast iron surrond that will fit perfectly with the stove.

But in the short term - is there anything I can do to extend the marble fireplace out. People have suggested calling in to a headstone shop and getting a strip of marble and no more nails it on to the existing marble.

Is there another material I could use - is there such a thing as a fireproof mat/rug? It's just if something falls out of the fire it will immediately mark the existing floor, and also if some spark were to fall out that I didn't notice....

Any ideas appreciated.

29122008_001_.jpg

29122008_002_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

As the others mentioned, if you keep the temperature up in the stove you shouldn't have too many problems with soot on the glass.

When I made the mistake of burning slightly damp wood, it left a horrible sticky, cresotey deposit on the glass. I found JML Spotless paste great for cleaning it off with minimal effort. http://www.jmldirect.com/showimage.asp?currency=EUR&title=Spotless+400g&pf_id=S1346&image=images/products/large/pf_S1346.jpg Damnit, they should be paying me commission I've recommended it to so many people over the last year :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Hi Gabbo there is a small stove tray froma acompany called blackwater crafts a stove shop should be able to get it they sell for about €100 they are basicly a drawer that sits under the stove and bolts pressed againest the bottom of the stove keep it in place. When opeing the door of the stove for fueling or cleaning you pull out the drawer first and it catches any falling soot/ash. The small one fits and Oisin type pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thanks for the replys re. cleaning the glass. Have found that the wet cloth dipped in the ash works perfectly. Who'd have thought. :D

gabbo.

My set up is similar to yours.

I have had coal fall out onto the rug.

I have learned not to stack the coal to high as it can fall off the heap and out the door.

I also keep a set of tongs and a big tile at the ready .

I belive that even if you had a bigger hearth. The hot coal would still bonce off onto the floor. If you lift it quick enough then there will be little damage(unless the wife's favorite rug is there!!!!!) ..

As for kids. My 4 year old lad touched it when hot. He will never do it again. He was warned but never realised what burny meant till then.

He gives it a wide berth now. Harsh lesson he learned, but a very useful one.

I was comparing my gas bill to the same time last year.

It was 90 euro for the last 2 months.
    2007 Oct-Dec bill was 240

the house is warmer by far and the savings are obvious and the enviromental carbon issues are also a big bonus. (I use slack 25% of the time and timber 75%)
    Still very happy with my conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hi, I am a big fan of stoves and heat my small house almost exclusively with wood. I use a Morso squirrell with a back boiler for house heating but decided to fit another stove in a small room to replace a badly fitted fireplace. I bought form www.windysmithy,co.uk the 'Arthur' and find it superb, massive heat, can chuck in 450mm logs and will easily burn 24 hours with just spruce. Total cost 365euro. Lovely guy also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sullivan0067

I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has this Solid fuel stove. I am considering it along with a Stanley Aisling for heating an old stone cottage with is being renovated. It will be used as the primary heat/hot water source backed up with an oil system.
    Any experiences good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Folks - i'm sure it was mentioned on boards before but can't seem to find it. I want to paint the stainless steel flue coming out of the back of the Stove. Which type of paint do I need to ask for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm thinking of putting in a Stanley. I have two options :

1. Clear out the fireback and insert the stove so that it's front is flush with the fireplace
    2. Place the stove in front of the existing fireplace on the hearth so that it's more 'in the room'.

My question is: Is option 1 less efficient i.e. is a lot less heat radiated into the room? Intuitively I think option 2 has to give off more heat, because all four sides of the stove are radiating heat?

Anybody got any solid facts on this?

Advertisement