Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bentone Oil burner not working

• 15-11-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with this burner. I reckon it is about 10 years old. The burner is a Bentone. It has a danfoss oil pump and a danfoss\landis & gyr control box. I had a fill of kerosene about a month ago and after bleeding it fired up and worked until now.
    The photo sensor is spotless.
    The thermostat reset button seems ok.
    It seems to be in lockout mode - red light on the reset button.
    After pressing this, red light goes out, the relays click, and then click after about 4 seconds. It then resets again. I can hear and feel the water pump running
    The motor\blower does not kick in nor start up.
    I disconnected the burner from the boiler and noticed that the motor is very stiff to turn manually. Should this spin freely?
    Any other checks or am I goose'd…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you just hear the clicks and not the motor whirring, then it is very likely that the motor is sticking. If you take off the oil pump, the motor should spin very freely. Sit the burner as you have it in the first photo and squirt plenty of WD 40 into the motor where the drive connects. Run the motor for a few cycles to free it up - If it spins freely, put back the pump and make sure that you replace the burner in the boiler before trying to start it. That's the most likely problem - try it - it may work for a day or a year. The oil pump can also be sticking or the motor may be just burnt out. You do have to make sure that the pump is properly lined up when re-fitting it. Leave the screws loose and slowly tighten them, one at a time, as you run the burner
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Hi JamesM and thanks,
    I knew from reading the other 'oil burner problem' threads that I would get a reply from you. Do you or have you worked in that game..
    Anyway i disconnected the mains and oil feed and stripped the burner down. Checked all the components and cleaned the nozzle insitu (couldn't remove the nozzle as the blast tube seems to be welded - even with the screws removed). Some of the wiring connections in the control box were iffy, so sorted them too. Put it all back together and it worked. Like you say - maybe for a day or a year. Nice warm house for now.... :):)

zapata wrote: »
    Do you or have you worked in that game..

'Fraid so :(

Glad it's working :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MAC200sx

hows tricks?can see that you know your stuff!have a bentone b9,suntec pump as47c,was working fine,serviced 8 months ago,new stat,nozzle,filter,fire valve,
    .no strange noises,no soot or anything obvious.took motor off,spins free,cleaned photosensor and the flue,it runs for 30mins and knocks off.have to press reset button to start again.sumtimes it wont relight.seen an earlier thread that ye mentioned a capacitor mite need changing??any ideas man?

I presume that you are pressing the reset button on the control box on the burner, not the button on the thermostat !
    It's the times it won't restart, that you can tell most about what's going wrong. During a failed restart, does the motor turn or is there just a bare hum (almost silent) from it ? If that is the case, It is the motor or the oil pump that is stuck - take the pump off and, if the motor is sticking, try the WD 40 trick. If the motor is turning at full speed, then it is likely that the solenoid coil is acting up when it gets hot - it is not opening up and letting the oil through. Also make sure that the electrodes are sparking - sometimes there can be a breakdown a the transformer.
    If there is a fault in any of the major parts, it is usually better to buy a new burner - The Riello G3 is one of the best and will fit where there was a B9 - you just change the flange.
    To be honest, it's mainly experience that identifies an intermittant problem like that.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squealypig

Any pointers gratefully received. Have just had a refill and noticed the smell of Kero from the boiler. Have removed the Burner cover. All the fittings are dry however there is some wetness under the burner casing. With everything visible being dry I'm at a loss as to where the oil could be seeping from. Are their any gaskets etc. beyond the oil pump fixing. Apologies for my vagueness!

Thanks

If the leak is not visible, it can be the seal on the oil pump drive shaft. Or filling the tank may have stirred up some dirt, which may have damaged the nozzle and messed up the spray patern - there could be a drip from the nozzle, working down through the burner - new nozzle. If it is the oil pump, you have to replace the pump, or the burner.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squealypig

Thanks Jim

Time to call in the boilerman!!

Cheers

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

..........HINT for people with oil burners not working........
    not the button on the thermostat !

Could someone tell me, (is JamesM around?), what this button does ?
    Does it simply reset the thermostat ?

The reason I ask is, it saved me this Xmas ! ie. my burner wouldn't start-up. I tried all the usual things but still no action. I happened to mention it to my neighbour and he said : try this: 'there's a button hidden under a black screw cap on the thermostat box, ie. where you can change the temperature. Press this button to see if it will work for you.'
    It was by chance that he tried it at another persons house a while earlier !
    So......I'm glad it worked, but curious as to what the button does !

It's a high limit stat. If the temp gets near boiling point, it hops out. If it hasn't happened since, I wouldn't worry. Don't have the boiler stat set too high.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

......., but curious as to what the button does !

During a cold spell (especially holiday season XMas week) people may turn up their boiler temp or start having the heating on all day. Then they worry about the price of oil and start turning off certain rads, these houses have thermostatic rad valves but no by pass valve or rad that acts as a by pass which has been turned off. Even though the regular thermostat will turn the burner off with no heat removed from the boiler by circulation (as no flow route available) the boiler temp can reach the trip out on the safety valve very quickly.

davidoco wrote: »
    During a cold spell (especially holiday season XMas week) people may turn up their boiler temp or start having the heating on all day. Then they worry about the price of oil and start turning off certain rads, these houses have thermostatic rad valves but no by pass valve or rad that acts as a by pass which has been turned off. Even though the regular thermostat will turn the burner off with no heat removed from the boiler by circulation (as no flow route available) the boiler temp can reach the trip out on the safety valve very quickly.

There's the explaination I didn't have time for :)
    Also if the timer switches off just as the boiler reaches the end of a cycle, the temp can shoot up and the limit stat will trip.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darior

hi guys
    i also have a bentone oil burner that will not fire
    it goes through its proceedure the fan kicks in but it locks out
    i checked the oil pressure which goes up to 10bar
    i took the nozzle out in case it is blocked
    has anybody got any suggestions whats wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

for darior

do you hear the electrodes sparking? if you have gone to the trouble of taking the nozzle out go and get the exact same one new (less than 10 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Diarm007

my burner was working fine the last two weeks but now nothing.. power coming from thermostat to control box but it wont start to do anything.. oil coming to burner..no air locks..

reset button does nothing...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Try removing control box, screw on side and pull towards you, once out remove photocell thats fixed to front of box by slipping forward, clean contacts and replace in reverse order.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

darior wrote: »
    hi guys
    i also have a bentone oil burner that will not fire
    it goes through its proceedure the fan kicks in but it locks out
    i checked the oil pressure which goes up to 10bar
    i took the nozzle out in case it is blocked
    has anybody got any suggestions whats wrong?

Hello Folks,

Like Darior, I have a benton burner and all, type FC4A

it hasn't been igniting lately... everything starts up and runs as it should but it's just not catching and ingniting at the end of the nozzle.... I've lit the mist up manually and everything is working fine... thing is, when it pauses at intervals, it won't then reignite itself!

It happened a month ago, and my usual guy cleaned off the electrode or something, and it worked fine since, but now it's off again.

Does it sound like I need a new capacitor or ignition electrode?

Any experienced response appreciated - as these things do tend to happen during cold snaps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

from your post it sounds like you have a faulty transformer or faulty electrodes

and please for yours and others safety stop the dangerous manual igniting of the burner oil vapour is not something you want to be playing with

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

Thanks jimf.

Hi again.. Never got around to replying.... After cleaning photocell it made no difference.. Power coming to control box but not a purr or a buzz or a click from it... absolutely dead.. any suggestions or faults that would cause nothing to happen when its turned on??

Pump or control box itself?? Thanks

• Advertisement

Diarm007 wrote: »
    my burner was working fine the last two weeks but now nothing.. power coming from thermostat to control box but it wont start to do anything.. oil coming to burner..no air locks..

reset button does nothing...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Is the reset button illuminated ??

no..
    control box broke?

You say you have power at the control box, are you using a phase tester or milti meter ?

Phase tester..where the live connects there is power... I have a multi meter aswell..

Test again between L and N with meter.

Sounds like a bad nautral, possibly in the thermostat control.

what should the reading be?

230ish volts

Got 235.8

Yes sounds like control box.

• Advertisement

Ya my friend has same burner so i'll swap control box and see does it work... Thanks

Advertisement