Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

W1070 in cinema room

• 17-09-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Over 6 years ago now I started building a house which included an entertainment room, I designed the house with a mate and didn't want a "Sitting" room so the plans which even named the room entertainment room had the room designed for a home cinema setup with a large wall for a projector screen.

It took 5 years to complete the house and sadly the entertainment room was far from finished when we moved in last summer, however I now have the room in a usable state, far from finished mind you.

I purchased a BenQ W1070 last week from Richer Sounds in Belfast for £499 which is a damn good price for a 1080p projector.

I have some cat6 and power cabling in ceiling at about 2.5 to 3m and had hoped to get a short throw projector like the W1080st but the budget isn't there at the minute, the reason for Short Throw design was to reduce visible fan noise from the projector by placing it further away from the seating. I also plan to install some large coving with subtle lighting in it.

The wall that the projector is currently projecting on is a false wall with about 30cm behind it, the plan here is to recess speakers into the wall to give a flush finish and also allow some storage space for DVDs etc. The hole left was too large but will be filled in and the fixed screen will cover it for now

Anyway at present the room is as it is and my next step is to get some screen material from http://www.projector-screen-material.co.uk/products/maxiwhite.html for a 140" screen and make a frame.

What colour do people recommend for the walls in a cinema room? including the wall behind the screen?

The room is 7.2m by 3.8m with the screen width being 3.1m for a 140" screen so there will be wall visible behind the fixed screen I plan to mount should that wall stay white?

Some photos of the current setup below, all opinions and suggestions welcome.

Projector
    15261290945_f2e5396b3b_b.jpgmovie5

Closeup
    15074722068_53b0819422_b.jpgmovie1

Room
    15261291505_c71ca53e94_b.jpgroom1

16.9:1
    15260898502_8c27eb4284_b.jpgmatch1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For colour scheme I'd use google images and see what tickles your fancy...nice picture BTW

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Great pictures, really nice room you have to work with, and a great projector. Agree with slave1 but I would stick to the darker scheme, defiantly a dark celling at least.
    I have the W1080 on a 92" screen in a sitting room with light walls and it lights up the whole room, washing out the image.

Also the W1070 is REALLY bright for the first 100-150 hours, was a bit too much on the eyes at that stage but you might not notice it on 140"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have the frame for the screen built now, the TV in front is a 40" to give an idea of size

15313345195_7f7f61a10b_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Hey Villain, fellow carlow man here :)

Problem with color schemes is usually the partner, guys couldn't care less if they had to sit in a dark room.

Maybe try mix 2 greys together, a light grey to the back of the room and a darker grey to ceiling and front of the room.

Also maybe look at spraying your screen with BlackWidow Screen paint, the Benq W1070 would have average black levels.

Howdy MHI, yes the Wife is rather against dark walls but I have a compromise of a darkish brown at the moment :)

I'll have a look into the BlackWidow Screen paint, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

Have you thought about using wall paint? Unless it's a poorly finished wall you might even get a better picture with less spotting due to the slightly uneven surface.

Personally, I'd wrap the outer sides of that frame with black velvet and just use the wall. That's if I had such a luxury as a dedicated room!

A deep colour for the walls would be best to control ambient light. Darkish brown sounds right.

I can't post links as a new member but have a read here:
    http : //www. projectorcentral. com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

And check this stuff out.
    http : //www. goosystems.co. uk/products.php

I haven't had the luxury of using it myself but I hope to go this way eventually.

I had actually intended on using the wall as that is the setup my father has had for years now and it works well and obviously is cheap!

However I didn't realise I would want the screen so large so a hole I had left in the false wall was too large and trying to patch that would have resulted in a lot of work and most likely still not a smooth finish.

I made the frame of the screen for €30 and both the material from http://www.projector-screen-material.co.uk/ for £62.99 plus £28 for delivery so about €160 in total for the screen.

However despite paying the £28 for rolled delivery there was a large fold crease about one third of the way down and its very visible and doesn't appear to want to come out! Thankfully PSM have agreed to replace the material if it doesn't come out in a few days!

Aha I see! All makes sense.

They can take a while to settle alright, but maybe hound them for a rolled replacement if it doesn't! :D

Yep I just got them to agree to a replacement and I purchased the border tape to ease the blow for them and think it will finish it nicely

Awesome. Post pics when you are done! :D

Nice work btw. I have a tab-tensioned screen myself but I'd love a framed screen in a dedicated setup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Hi Villain,

I also have a BENQ W1070 and a D.I.Y.screen made from Projector screen Material.co.uk. The border tape does make the screen look a lot better.

You can see from yourself here:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/shed-cave.1896428/

I used Night Fever by Crown to paint my cinema room, it looks great but is not a colour I`d use in a living room:-) Crown have an app where you can use a photo of your room and you can then easily add a colour from their range to see what it would look like in the room. I would definitely recommend a dark colour as there can be reflection on walls/ceilings from the projected image. Don`t forget the ceiling:-)

I got new material from PSM which thankfully didn't have any major issues. I also purchased the 3" border from them and I'm very happy with the end result which you can see below, I need to clean the room and setup the camera to get some decent shots but the ones below give a good idea of the result. The projector, screen frame and screen material all cost under €800 which is good value imo, especially when you can easily spend that on a 55" TV.

15354788528_474a737b33_b.jpgfifascreenoct14

15354928927_1fc455a9d4_b.jpgscreenoct14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Villain wrote: »

I thought that was a photo of the outside of your house there for a minute! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Take a photo in the middle of a match on Fifa, please lol.

Jealous of that set up and for that price too. I've no idea about projectors but how heavy would that be on the electricity bill with heavy usage?

Take a photo in the middle of a match on Fifa, please lol.

Jealous of that set up and for that price too. I've no idea about projectors but how heavy would that be on the electricity bill with heavy usage?
    163W Projector Power Consumption by Average when in Smart Eco mode and 296W Projector Power Consumption by Average when in normal mode so not too heavy at all. Will take some more photos tonight.

Really nice job dude, the border really makes it doesn't it? Looks fantastic and I'm sure the pics aren't doing it full justice...

Mad jealous!

SeanFrank wrote: »
    Really nice job dude, the border really makes it doesn't it? Looks fantastic and I'm sure the pics aren't doing it full justice...

Mad jealous!
    Yep the border really does make a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭SachaJ

That looks fantastic, well done. A nice border really frames the picture. Has me itching to get my kit set-up as it's all been boxed since a house move earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lovely job mate, very well done.

I am in the process of setting up a room in my house as well, but on a much smaller scale (9 foot by 8). I've gotten an Infocus projector mounted to the roof, and made a 90 inch screen from blackout cloth.

For the pain scheme, I went with Matt Black for the screen wall and ceiling, with a deep Matt Red (almost blood coloured) for the surrounding walls.

I have yet to sort sound yet though - there are speakers built into the projector, but in fairness, they sound like a mobile phone's speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Hi - that room looks class - building a house myself at the moment and have a dedicated room as well 18 foot Long by 15 foot Wide. I have an Epson TW6100 1080 HD projector. I am going to get a 106" fixed screen.

My wife is on board with the home cinema room so I could paint the walls and ceiling black. I have four uplights in the room. I am really interested in your ideas about colour in the room. I was thinking of painting the wall with the screen black and a dark grey on the ceiling. I was going to put Deep red curtains on the side walls - half way down the room to the screen. Then I was going to paint the rest of the room a bright colour. Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I will post a pic of the room really soon.

Keep up the good work - Fifa 15 looks amazing on that screen.

What 5.1 system did you go for? What amp are you using? Did you bother with a universal remote?

• Advertisement

deano59 wrote: »
    Hi - that room looks class - building a house myself at the moment and have a dedicated room as well 18 foot Long by 15 foot Wide. I have an Epson TW6100 1080 HD projector. I am going to get a 106" fixed screen.

My wife is on board with the home cinema room so I could paint the walls and ceiling black. I have four uplights in the room. I am really interested in your ideas about colour in the room. I was thinking of painting the wall with the screen black and a dark grey on the ceiling. I was going to put Deep red curtains on the side walls - half way down the room to the screen. Then I was going to paint the rest of the room a bright colour. Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I will post a pic of the room really soon.

Keep up the good work - Fifa 15 looks amazing on that screen.

What 5.1 system did you go for? What amp are you using? Did you bother with a universal remote?

At the moment the colour is going to be a dark brown but I am hoping in the long term to have curtains which will cover the full side walls. I also have wiring left on both sides at ceiling height to put in large coving and have strip lighting in the coving.

I have a 7.1 Samsung AV receiver which I picked up second hand, but it is pretty good and its funny when I demo the room most people comment how the sound makes it! I also am hoping to pick up a set of Sennheiser RS180 for when others in the house are asleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

The projector, screen frame and screen material all cost under €800 which is good value imo, especially when you can easily spend that on a 55" TV.

So the projector cost just over €600?
    can you post a link to where you got it?
    I have a 7.1 Samsung AV receiver which I picked up second hand, but it is pretty good and its funny when I demo the room most people comment how the sound makes it! I also am hoping to pick up a set of Sennheiser RS180 for when others in the house are asleep ;)

I have the RS170s and they are awesome. Going to pick up a second pair for the missus. You can pair up to 4 with a receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Remouad wrote: »
    So the projector cost just over €600?
    can you post a link to where you got it?
    I purchased a BenQ W1070 last week from Richer Sounds in Belfast for £499

Here - they deal with people wanting this projector in the ROI via their help forum here.

12.99GBP for next day delivery as well I think, which is pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Great pics/post.

Glad I came across this thread as I was thinking of installing a projector in the spare room.

The room is a perfect square 14ft x 14ft with a large double sized window on the front facing side, and door into the room in one of the corner (cant post pic for some reason?

I see the OP has his projector table mounted - I was looking to mount a similar projector but on the ceiling, so this is where my confusion begins;

as mentioned the room is perfect square with a ceiling light slap bang in the middle, so the projector will need to be installed in front on this ceiling light on the ceiling, so what sort of throw/sitting distance/screen size etc, should I be looking at?

There is a 3 seater leather couch and two single sized chairs, so would I be best in just purchasing a table and mount it in front of the couches? thus saving myself the hassle of pulling cable to ceilings etc?

All suggestions (no matter what) welcome.

You can't post photos as you need 50 posts I think.

You will need a short throw projector if you need to install the projector at 7feet from screen, e.g. from http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator.htm my projector model W1070 would give you a 74" diagonal image

If you went with the W1080ST at 7 feet from screen you can get a 128" diagonal image.

I wanted to install a short throw projector and I already have cables in the ceiling for them but the cost was double so for now and a few years the w1070 will do.

Great pics/post.

Glad I came across this thread as I was thinking of installing a projector in the spare room.

The room is a perfect square 14ft x 14ft with a large double sized window on the front facing side, and door into the room in one of the corner (cant post pic for some reason?

I see the OP has his projector table mounted - I was looking to mount a similar projector but on the ceiling, so this is where my confusion begins;

as mentioned the room is perfect square with a ceiling light slap bang in the middle, so the projector will need to be installed in front on this ceiling light on the ceiling, so what sort of throw/sitting distance/screen size etc, should I be looking at?

There is a 3 seater leather couch and two single sized chairs, so would I be best in just purchasing a table and mount it in front of the couches? thus saving myself the hassle of pulling cable to ceilings etc?

All suggestions (no matter what) welcome.

My room is tiny compared to yours, 9x8 foot. Have the projector mounted to the ceiling at one of the 9 foot sides, in the middle.

I too had a light fitting dangling in the middle. What I did was swapped out the light fitting for one of these instead.http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/saturn-bar-spotlight---satin-nickel---3-light-038080 (not the exact one)

You can get lights that fit more or less flush with the ceiling too, that are not that expensive

thanks.

I am not hung up on mounting the projector in any particular location, so looking at my room dimensions what would you go for to get the best viewing experience.

My parents have a room a little smaller than that size and they have the projector mounted over the couch at the rear of the room for about 80" image. Only downside to that is fan noise when watching movies.

You will be sitting at most 12 feet from the image so based on average of guidelines I have seen and my own experience an image of 80" to 90" is as big as you want to go which with a W1070 means having it 8 to 9 feet from the image.

thanks.

I am not hung up on mounting the projector in any particular location, so looking at my room dimensions what would you go for to get the best viewing experience.

Villain has linked to a throw distance calculator a few posts above yours that might be useful.

The further back you go, the larger the picture. However, picture quality would also depend on things like the lumens and contrast ratio your projector is capable of. Also, the window could be a factor. Id try and have the window to the side of the screen, rather than in front of or behind the projector, which might interfere with your picture too.

That being said, a good pair of blackout blinds could become your best friend!

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Villain has linked to a throw distance calculator a few posts above yours that might be useful.

The further back you go, the larger the picture. However, picture quality would also depend on things like the lumens and contrast ratio your projector is capable of. Also, the window could be a factor. Id try and have the window to the side of the screen, rather than in front of or behind the projector, which might interfere with your picture too.

That being said, a good pair of blackout blinds could become your best friend!

Yea I will ceiling mount the projector, and the window will be to the right hand side of it. I will also blackout and paint the room to suit. (just dont tell the wife yet!)

Anyone any info on the new W1070+ which has a short throw? - just missed out on a great deal over on bargain alerts for this yesterday :(

If I was to mount this projector on the ceiling approx about 6ft from the viewing wall, and just mounted in front of the ceiling light.
    I'm guessing I would be able to angle the picture down at that distance - but how large would the picture be?

Last question. promise.

Advertisement