Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avoiding Carbs, is this healthy/good/too much?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

It's the New World Order, innit.

That pesky illuminati up to their old tricks again. Stick it to the man. Make peace not war. Save the whales et etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm one of the weirdos who voted nay to the Jaffa Cakes debate. :o
    I voted "No" too because Tea Cakes are much nicer than jaffas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

My head voted NO to jaffas if your goal is to become superfit, low bodyfat and healthy but my heart voted NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I see this thread kept going when I didn't!

Monday again and time to be super strict, I was a bit naughty over the weekend, but still nowhere near as bad as I Use to be. So I am happy enough.

This morning I substituted my bowl of porridge with a boiled egg. I was eating grapes last week, so I bought some strawberries instead. I think they may be healthier. From googling and stuff berries seem to be the best option for fruit.

On Friday I missed breakfast, and my god it was the worst thing ever, completely through my cravings and control out the window.

So learnings from last week, grapes are bad, breakfast is important, and more people like Jaffa Cakes than don't.

But overall, energy levels through the roof, feel ridiculously good, and definitely feel I will keep this up, or at least really cut down on my carbs intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I see this thread kept going when I didn't!

Monday again and time to be super strict, I was a bit naughty over the weekend, but still nowhere near as bad as I Use to be. So I am happy enough.

This morning I substituted my bowl of porridge with a boiled egg. I was eating grapes last week, so I bought some strawberries instead. I think they may be healthier. From googling and stuff berries seem to be the best option for fruit.

On Friday I missed breakfast, and my god it was the worst thing ever, completely through my cravings and control out the window.

So learnings from last week, grapes are bad, breakfast is important, and more people like Jaffa Cakes than don't.

But overall, energy levels through the roof, feel ridiculously good, and definitely feel I will keep this up, or at least really cut down on my carbs intake.

Nothing to do with you at all but the bolded part is exactly why people are so convinced that eating low carb is the reason for weight loss and not calorie deficits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bruno26 wrote: »
    The carb withdrawal feelings will go after 4-7 days you stick at it. I do eat carbs but I just stay below 100 grams most days.

Many detractors because many people believe in the food pyramid, in counting calories, in what we are told by the authorities etc. They don't like listening to an alternative view that challenges the consensus.

I assume most of the people here are not detractors as I am not, I've been HFLC for 3 years or so now, it's your closed mindedness ans ignorance towards any other food sources thats not pumped up by Sisson or Taubes that's grinding on a lot of people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

And ridiculous statements like you can eat 6000 calories a day and not gain weight as long as there's no dreaded grains or sugar involved.

I think most people here agree that limiting carbs is a good idea and a lot of people eat HFLC but statements such as the above and his dogmatic approach is what has got people's back up with Bruno

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

it's your closed mindedness ans ignorance towards any other food sources.

Please elaborate.
    My view that we should eat meat, fish veg, fruit, nuts, dairy, fat and that we shouldn't eat grains or any processed food is close minded and ignorant?

And ridiculous statements like you can eat 6000 calories a day and not gain weight as long as there's no dreaded grains or sugar involved.

I think most people here agree that limiting carbs is a good idea and a lot of people eat HFLC but statements such as the above and his dogmatic approach is what has got people's back up with Bruno

Did I say 6,000 somewhere? You can certainly eat 5,000 calories a day and not put on fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Did I say 6,000 somewhere? You can certainly eat 5,000 calories a day and not put on fat.

You can eat 10,000 calories a day and not put on any fat. The point that some posters seem to be making is that your ideas are derived entirely from reading Tim Noakes twitter feed and that you have little awareness of the multitude of alternative arguments.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    You can eat 10,000 calories a day and not put on any fat. The point that some posters seem to be making is that your ideas are derived entirely from reading Tim Noakes twitter feed and that you have little awareness of the multitude of alternative arguments.

I think your the only poster who came up with that one!

You seriously think I've only read into tim noakes? Do you want a list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Nothing to do with you at all but the bolded part is exactly why people are so convinced that eating low carb is the reason for weight loss and not calorie deficits.

One egg would not make me happy. However eggs are a great alternative. Porridge has a large number of calories per bowl which is why I advised the OP to try making it with water instead of milk and still retain the benefits of oats but miss nothing much from losing the milk.

This morning I had 2 scrambled eggs with some sprouts (alfalfa or something like that) and spinach.

I used my non stick wok and had them cooked in about 1 min.
    So I will be investigating ways of getting creative with scrambled eggs (can anyone say bird eye chillis!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bullsh1t alert.

Bullsh1t alert.

Is it possible to eat 5,000 calories a day and not put on fat?

Three examples: Sam Feltham, Cereal Killers, Michael Phelps.

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

Yes its possible, but not if your requirements are 3k.

Inbefore you tell me to go look at a youtube video from a guy with a "degree" from the university of life raging against the corporate/government machine.

Are you Jim Corr by any chance?

Yes it is.

Michael Phelps eats boatloads of white bread and pizza.

This means you can't put on weight by eating carbs.

#logic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yes it is.

What?!

You've previously been claiming you can eat over your requirements with fat and not put on weight, that's not true here, thats well below their requirements.

And have you seen Phelps diet? pretty much contradicts your arguments using Phelps.

"Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks."

What?!

You've previously been claiming you can eat over your requirements with fat and not put on weight, that's not true here, thats well below there requirements.

And have you seen Phelps diet? pretty much contradicts your arguments using Phelps.

"Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks."

fgsgbJYFA Tim Noakes dfsabj, fsvhaj millions of years dfashkjf government dfhjasnfjv fvhasuj carbs are the devil jfhjsakfnj fat fat jvfjkfvnas fat fjhksjv. fvasoiuhvf this is where facts go to die grfasujnk fajklfvb. So I'm right.

fgsgbJYFA Tim Noakes dfsabj, fsvhaj millions of years dfashkjf government dfhjasnfjv fvhasuj carbs are the devil jfhjsakfnj fat fat jvfjkfvnas fat fjhksjv. fvasoiuhvf this is where facts go to die grfasujnk fajklfvb. So I'm right.

What a pointless post!

Are you more knowledgable than Tim Noakes?

• Advertisement

What a pointless post!

Old Goalpost

New Goalpost

Yes its possible, but not if your requirements are 3k.

Inbefore you tell me to go look at a youtube video from a guy with a "degree" from the university of life raging against the corporate/government machine.

Are you Jim Corr by any chance?

What's your point?

The question again- is it possible to eat 5,000 calories and not get fat? Answer is yes.

Phelps obviously did incredible amounts of exercise- hence why he could eat pretty much anything.

Cereal killer guy did hardly any exercise- less than 10 minutes daily.

What's your point?

The question again- is it possible to eat 5,000 calories and not get fat? Answer is yes.

Phelps obviously did incredible amounts of exercise- hence why he could eat pretty much anything.

Cereal killer guy did hardly any exercise- less than 10 minutes daily.

Is it possible to eat over 5,000 calories from carbs and not get fat? Yes

Therefore eating anything less than that doesn't mean you'll get fat. You're right! Never thought of it that way! Cheers Bruno! Carbz4life

What a pointless post!

Exactly.

Yes.

Exactly.

Yes.

That's an outrageous claim. Where is the science to back it up. Can you provide links to the papers and books you've written and to the lectures you've given?

That's an outrageous claim. Where is the science to back it up. Can you provide links to the papers and books you've written and to the lectures you've given?

I read it in a book and saw it in a movie which is close as it's gonna get to backing it up. And if you provide evidence I'm just going to ignore it and keep making claims as if I have a monopoly on the truth. Sorry kid, you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Agree with everything apart from the wheat part. What about moving any HFLC and Paleo discussion to the religion forums where they would be most suited?
    That's unfair to posters like ford2600 who believe in the benefits of HFLC because it works for them and don't push it as a silver bullet.

I also eat HFLC and I don't push any agenda on here, I post quite irregularly in this forum but I do read it a lot.
    There are advocates of all types of diets and ways of eating who go over the top with their soapboxing.

What's your point?

The point is you talk a lot of nonsense.

The point is you talk a lot of nonsense.

In your head. You changed the goalposts as you like to say.

• Advertisement

This is my most popular of thread on boards ever. Delighted with that.
    I think the big thing is to find out what works for you. There is no 1 size fits all diet. You take some advice try it. If it works you keep it, if it doesn't you try something else.
    Last week I ate porridge in the morning. I felt great last week, this week I have substituted porridge with eggs and salad. I don't feel as great. Maybe I need to keep a small element of carbs in my diet.

Advertisement