Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So Annoyed wrote: »
    filled out the form for my son, forgot to put in his dependant siblings, how can I change it?

email the susi helpdesk

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

Did that, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

Hi,I am stuck in section D.

My mother is my legal guardian.

I have a step father what should I write for Type:Forster parent,estranged ... ?

Also my mother is unemployed,do should she write unemployed for her or home duties,not sure if home duties means she is housewife.

Not sure what she must write for her occupation ,she finished Law in a different country ,must she write higher professional,lower professional...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micly

Hi,
    could someone please give me some advice. I lived in Australia in January 2010 to May 2010. I have emailed the firm that I worked for a few times looking for the equivalent of the Irish P60. I have not got any reply so its not looking that I will be able to get it. I have not got any bank statements either. Anyone know what I can do. without the grant I am Screwed. Really appreciate advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 allthesmiles

Just filled out the susi form and finished it when i realised I forgot to put the details of the course I am going to be doing in September, the name of course and college. Will this mess up my application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Advice needed please.....im filling out grant aplication im on did a plc last year was on BTE ive been accepted into cource starting september which i will also be getting BTE for.

where on the grant aplication form do i state that im only applying to have my student services charges and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on my behalf. is this in the notes section of last page?

also im a mature independant student i have no support from parents or any spouses or partners. In one of the sections it says to list all detals of any one your cohabiting with, i have lived in rented acomadation for the last year and have no connection with any of my housemates most of them have been students with no income or rasmus student which are gone home now. do i have to fill out there details in that section or when it says cohabitation does it just mean with an other half or long term partmer or something

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Advice needed please.....im filling out grant aplication im on did a plc last year was on BTE ive been accepted into cource starting september which i will also be getting BTE for.

where on the grant aplication form do i state that im only applying to have my student services charges and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on my behalf. is this in the notes section of last page?

also im a mature independant student i have no support from parents or any spouses or partners. In one of the sections it says to list all detals of any one your cohabiting with, i have lived in rented acomadation for the last year and have no connection with any of my housemates most of them have been students with no income or rasmus student which are gone home now. do i have to fill out there details in that section or when it says cohabitation does it just mean with an other half or long term partmer or something

I can only answer the question on cohabiting - this refers only to partners that you are in a relationship with so you can ignore it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Completed the application last week.. when will I be asked to send on documents?

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Completed the application last week.. when will I be asked to send on documents?

Not sure but have them ready anyway

Terry Pratchet

Not sure but have them ready anyway

Thanks! what documents will I need exactly?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Will the one p21 suffice for both parents?

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Thanks! what documents will I need exactly?? :)

See the very end of what SUSI says here

http://www.susi.ie/What-you-have-to-do-to-finalise-your-application.aspx

Terry Pratchet

Thanks! Do we need a photocopy of our JC results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

On the evidence of previous education bit on the susi document schedule, it states a letter from a college or institution confirming attendance,and a copy of the award you received if you completed the course.

I completed my course ten years ago, I wouldnt know where to look for the confirmation letter for the course? Would the award and results sheet be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

bri007 wrote: »
    On the evidence of previous education bit on the susi document schedule, it states a letter from a college or institution confirming attendance,and a copy of the award you received if you completed the course.

I completed my course ten years ago, I wouldnt know where to look for the confirmation letter for the course? Would the award and results sheet be enough?

You just need to go into the college and ask them for a letter that states the date when you started and finished college. If you can't physically go to the college you could send them an email asking for said letter.

I sent the college an email requesting the letter. for the residency 3 out of 5 years bit, I havent been using my bank account much, as I havent been working or paying anything as I live at home, would car insurance certs, or a garda clearance form be sufficient along with some social welfare statements?

bri007 wrote: »
    I sent the college an email requesting the letter. for the residency 3 out of 5 years bit, I havent been using my bank account much, as I havent been working or paying anything as I live at home, would car insurance certs, or a garda clearance form be sufficient along with some social welfare statements?

There are some guidance notes here

http://www.susi.ie/What-you-have-to-do-to-finalise-your-application/Section-B.aspx

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

what do you do after submitting online applications HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi All,

I'm filling out the grant application form for my younger sister who will hopefully be starting college soon. I did not qualify for a grant when I was in college so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process.

There is a section on the application that asks about other dependent children of my parents. I have a 31 year old sister that has an intellectual disability. She still lives at home with my parents and always has. She is in receipt of a disability allowance from the Department of Social Protection (I think it's nearly 200 euro a week). My question is would she be considered a dependent of my parents for the purposes of applying for the grant?

My Dad retired from his job in September 2011 and is well below the income threshold so would it even matter if my older sister was considered a dependent of my parents?

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm filling out the grant application form for my younger sister who will hopefully be starting college soon. I did not qualify for a grant when I was in college so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process.

There is a section on the application that asks about other dependent children of my parents. I have a 31 year old sister that has an intellectual disability. She still lives at home with my parents and always has. She is in receipt of a disability allowance from the Department of Social Protection (I think it's nearly 200 euro a week). My question is would she be considered a dependent of my parents for the purposes of applying for the grant?

My Dad retired from his job in September 2011 and is well below the income threshold so would it even matter if my older sister was considered a dependent of my parents?

Thanks

From reading the Act I think she is classified as dependent

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0004/sec0016.html
    (7) (a) In this section “dependent child” means a child, including a foster child, of a person referred to in paragraph (b) which child, on a day to be prescribed—

(i) has not attained the age of 16 years, or

(ii) has attained the age of 16 years or more, resides with a person referred to in paragraph (b), and

(I) is pursuing a full-time course of education, or

(II) is certified by a registered medical practitioner (within the meaning of section 2 of the Medical Practitioners Act 2007 ) as being permanently unfit to work by reason of a medical condition.

I am not sure if you need to declare the disability allowance as your parents income though. I don't think you do!

Maybe contact SUSI helpdesk and ask?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

looking for bit of help, I sent all my susi documents back yesterday by registered post. They said they would get it today, I have been tracking it but said attempted delivery! I rang customer service and they said all susi mail gets diverted to their cork office.

The deadline to have my documents back is tomorrow, what will happen if it doesn't get there on time now? Will they allow for an extra day?

Is anyone waiting 3+ to hear anything back from SUSI after completing the online regestration ? Absolute joke of a system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

From reading the Act I think she is classified as dependent

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0004/sec0016.html

I am not sure if you need to declare the disability allowance as your parents income though. I don't think you do!

Maybe contact SUSI helpdesk and ask?

Thanks mango salsa. I rang the SUSI helpdesk but they were not really much help. I discussed it with my parents and we didn't list my older sister as a dependent of my parents in the end. I think my father's income since his retirement (a 21k a year pension which is the sole income for the house) is sufficiently low enough for my younger sister to qualify for the full adjacent grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

hi all, i took a year out to complete failed exams, now i have to reapply for the grant, should
    I mention that I have been working or not? cheers

kennethk wrote: »
    hi all, i took a year out to complete failed exams, now i have to reapply for the grant, should
    I mention that I have been working or not? cheers

You will need to yes

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If you're going into 4th year, when its an optional year, do you list the ordinary degree as a separate course or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 brax

hi all,looking for some advice, I'm trying to fill out the grant form but am now stuck on section D. My mam is not working and stays at home (i.e. a housewife or whatever you call it.) Which option do I go for in the employment status question and what do I choose for the occupation part???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 sanitygone

Filled out my daughters form on line wasn't till later when I received a request for paperwork I didnt have, that I rearlised I had answered one of the questions yes instead of no Not able to go back in to form to change it. Wrote to SUSI but they just dont get it keep asking for stuff i dont have. Filled in form last year all ok, wrote to susi to say that the form should have been filled in the same as last year as my daughter is only moving up a level, and explained my mistake what are the chances of her getting a grant this year, can I reaply for her

• Registered Users Posts: 41 colml cule

can anyone tell me what bank details they ask for, i can only do it once and i want to make sure that i do it correctly

• Advertisement

Name of bank, account number and sort code
    colml cule wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what bank details they ask for, i can only do it once and i want to make sure that i do it correctly

Advertisement