Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dubai Thread [Merged]

• 03-12-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

I have an opportunity to move to Dubai at short notice to work across the UAE. I've taken a salary hit in Ireland and my job prospects over the next few years are not good.

I could have worked in Dubai in the past and been able to double my salary. The current offer isn't huge, but is above average. What salary level would be needed to sustain myself well (to a reasonable standard) over there, while still servicing some debts over here.

Also, the job is located in Sharja. Would it be possible to live in the marina area of Dubai and commute. I'm told it is only 40mins by car.

I'd appreciate any insights...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

You're right about Sharjah being only down the road... I worked in Qatar for a year in 2007 and travelled through UAE a few times, usually stayed in Sharjah... however during rush hour it took us 2 and a half to 3 hours to travel from Dubai to Sharjah. However a friend of mine recently came back from an 8 month work placement in Dubai, he said the road system has improved drastically. I'd say your best bet might be to try some UAE expat forums though.

Thanks gaf, aparently it is against the rush hour traffic & apparently that is much reduced due to the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 London Irish

You don't say where exactly in Sharjah you'll be, but yes, 40 mins or so will take you to the general vicinity of Sharjah via the Sheik Khalifa road. I take that commute most days and it's generally 120 km/hr all the way. The opposite direction is bumper to bumper at rush hour though. I've only been in Dubai 9 months and have heard how much busier the commute was prior to 2008, but it's a pretty easy drive for me.
    You should live in Dubai and commute - the rents are higher in Dubai, but there is nothing to do in Sharjah and alcohol is banned. Your social life will be centered on Dubai.
    Regards living expenses, since I moved from London to here, any comparison I make back to Ireland will be a little skewed. But food prices here seem to be on a par with Ireland (i.e more expensive than UK). We save what we can can shopping in Lulu's or Carrefour, rather than Waitrose. Petrol is cheaper than water. Alcohol is eye-wateringly expensive in bars, but there are ways to buy alcohol for consumption at home, that is really affordable. Rent has come down a lot and continues to drop as residential space is wildly overbuilt. Still, rent is still expensive and you should see if your company will give you an accommodation allowance. Try http://www.bayut.com/rent.html as a starting place for apartments.

Thanks for that London Irish. I'll be working in the Free Zone in Sharjah, near the airport. I have agreed the move now & will have a living & car allowance. I'm hoping the salaries have come down in general there as the salary offered is in sterling and on a par with London salaries - however, it is tax free, it'll be interesting to discover what standard of living I can achieve.

I'm looking forward to the move... Can you suggest good areas to live? I'm aware of the marina, but would like to look at areas that might offer access to good social life/activities etc... I'd like to look at getting a two bedroom so my family/friends can visit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Don't live in the Marina if you're working in Sharjah, it's miles out. Look at Garhoud, Oud Metha, Zabeel, perhaps Jumeira 1. Dubizzle.com is the place to look. Depends what your needs are too, Mirdif might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 London Irish

useruser wrote: »
    Don't live in the Marina if you're working in Sharjah, it's miles out. Look at Garhoud, Oud Metha, Zabeel, perhaps Jumeira 1. Dubizzle.com is the place to look. Depends what your needs are too, Mirdif might be worth a look.

Dubizzle is good, I'd agree.

I live in the Marina, and yes, its almost as far as you're likely to live from Sharjah. The Marina does have access to a lot of social stuff. The other areas I would suggest to the OP are listed above - centered around the world trade and business bay areas. I can't say very much about them myself, from a social perspective - I just know the Irish Village in that part of town.

I actually have to travel to a client site in Ajman going up the SZR, so a commute from the Marina is doable (at least to me). Of course, the closer to work the better.

I suppose any commute is do-able but I certainly wouldn't want to have to do the Marina to Sharjah and back every day if I didn't have to. Rents have dropped sharply over the last 6-12 months so it should be possible to find something suitable in Dubai areas much closer to Sharjah these days. Taxis are numerous and cheap in Dubai so it makes more sense to base yourself closer to work. If you really want to save money you might consider living in Sharjah itself but beware the power cuts in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I recently made this move and I'm living and working in Dubai. I have seen stories about the traffic jams that happen in Sharjah and they seem to be pretty crazy. Altho everyone here says the traffic is a lot less than what it used to be.

As for the cost of living it is on a par with what it was in Ireland. Well apart from being out drinking. That is what you call Temple Bar prices after 1 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

I'm really happy to read that people think the cost of living is on par with Ireland. I am moving to Dubai in a few weeks and am trying to figure out where to live. The address I have been given for my office doesn't seem to exist on google maps so need to talk to some future colleagues. I am getting a housing allowance with work so I will just have to verify what it is compared to what I need.

• Advertisement

Polleta wrote: »
    I'm really happy to read that people think the cost of living is on par with Ireland.

Hmm., not sure about that - I would say that it is significantly more expensive, generally speaking. The cost of rent has dropped a lot in recent months but the price of everything else continues to rise.

Cool. I will be having some conversations before I sign my contract anyway on what I realistically need to live, do some travel and be comfortable.

My friend in dubai sent me this link for cost of living comparisons. It is worth checking out for people to have a comparison point

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

I looked at the countries I knew prices for and it seemed about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leelaw17

Hi there!
    I have been just offered a primary teaching job in Mamzar in dubai in a private school. Offering me 8000AED a month was wondering does anybody know if this is good salary wise and if I will be able to live fairly comfortabley with this amount in Dubai?
    Also am female and heading on my own so any advice from fellow females there on how ye are finding it etc?

Oh also if anyone knows anything about the Mamzar area?

Such a big decision am a little stressed by it all!

leelaw17 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I have been just offered a primary teaching job in Mamzar in dubai in a private school. Offering me 8000AED a month was wondering does anybody know if this is good salary wise and if I will be able to live fairly comfortabley with this amount in Dubai?
    Also am female and heading on my own so any advice from fellow females there on how ye are finding it etc?

Hi leelaw17, I've just moved to Dubai & don't know Mamzar - from the map, it looks okay. Its on the far side of the old town, which is a bit run down, but it could be very nice. Jumeirah Beach is not far away - which is one of the better beaches & there is some nightlife nearby (Elegante nightclub isn't far). I would say that 8000AED isn't a huge amount. Do you get a living allowance & car allowance on top of that? Do they provide accomodation? Do they cover any other costs? Depending on where you live/work a car is a big asset here - but like I said, it depends on where you live & work. Taxis are cheap, so you can get around. A 25 min journey is about €9 & that will cover most areas you'll want to go - it should be allot less to get taxis around Mamzar. Its worth taking a trip over to see the place, before commiting. My company did that for me, although many won't. There's not much restrictions on girls here, you can wear what you want and do what you want (within the same limits as home). You aren't suposed to live/stay with fellas, but no one seems to enforce these things. No kissing in public... But that doesn't mean a life without affection, it is quite liberal here and the whole system is set up to let westerners live a normal life.

Before I moved out, I came over for a few days to check the place out. It was very worth while, but when I did move over I changed most of my ideas on where to live etc...

All in all its a great place, very easy to settle in. Easy to make friends, I have been taken in by a bunch of South Africans.

Hi Leelaw17,

I'm a fellow female who has just moved to Dubai also. My first instinct would be the same as bluefoam. That is equivalent to about 1650E a month which is tax free but if you need to fund accomodation or you have any financial commitments back home I would say its not enough. I don't know much about shared accomodation costs but I know that for your own place most or all of that 8000AED would be gone on accomodation and bills alone.

As a young single female so far I like the place. I get looked at a small amount due to my paleness but that's life and I get that whenever I visit a warm place. The things people talk about like needing to be somewhat covered up all the time I haven't found a problem. I have a single female friend who is a teacher out here(not in your school) and she has be covered up while at school and by that I mean she must cover her shoulders and her knees at all times so really nothing crazy.

Best of luck with your decision!

P

Like the others said, it depends on your entire package but if you are not getting anything extra (flights, accommodation, transport, health insurance) then that will be a miserable amount to try to live on in Dubai (even with all of these it is still not great, Dubai is expensive).

Mamzar is nowhere near Jumeirah by the way - it's nearly in Sharjah, pretty rundown and industrial with a a lot of construction and very heavy traffic. Not that great a place IMO but it would at least be cheap to live there.

Dubai has a liberal veneer but scratch the surface and you find something quite different, it's not Kuwait or Saudi Arabia but it's definitely not a Western liberal state either. People regularly get themselves into serious trouble by forgetting this.

Hi guys!
    Thanks so much for all yer help! teh contract is 8000 AED per month- they supply shared accomodation and rent is paid for( though i have not seen this acomodation) the 8000 Aed is made up of rent allowance, transport cover and what they describe as "other" on the contract. There is basic medical care.

At the moment most people seem to be saying that 8000 AED wouldnt be quite enough to live quite comfortabley, from what i can see teachers salary is often more. Howver i applied through and agency that told me the wage last minute before the intervieww and sai if i was not happy with it they would cancel the interview...i went ahead as did not expect to get the job and put it down to experience...the 8000AED is now quoted on my and i have to let them know by thursday. I feel that if i ask for a raise on that thy may not be happy at all!...butalso sounds like im getting paid at the lowest scale....any advice would be great on this?
    I have also been advised that i am within my rights to ask them to send me on an email of photos of the accomodation?

Sounds dodgy to me. I suggest you post on the Middle East forum on britishexpats.com and on http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/ you could name the actual institute there and hopefully some people will know them and be able to advise accordingly.

8000 AED is very very little in Dubai and shared accommodation could mean anything - 6 to a room in Deira or 2 rooms in a lovely apartment in the Marina. My instinct would be to walk away, there must be better packages available than this.

Don't sell out. It would be very difficult to get by here on little money as there is a cost for everything. Keep applying, I believe there are teaching jobs available here. Remember that its not as easy to change jobs here as it is at home. Your visa is linked to your job.

Also, I have witness some of the accomodation compnaies provide here. Some is great, such as that provided for Emirates Crew, but some is awful... block after block of nondesript apartments - some withouit even balconies and often in crappy areas...

There are two types of employer here... those who will offer a reasonable package and make sure their staff are well looked after, in order to get the best and most motivated people & those who don't, their employees are then somewhat trapped, because its not easy to change job...

It used to be a case that you could come to Dubai, double what you earned at home & live tax free... Those days have changed and salaries are more realistic.

My advice is to make sure the package is right before making a decision. Good luck with it, whatever you do...

• Advertisement

I would agree with Bluefoam.. 8000AED is not a lot to live on here. And as said shared accmodation could mean anything here.

I would hold out for more to be honest with you.

Leelaw17 there are better jobs for you out there I think. Personally I couldn't sign something that said shared accomodation provided as I am rather picky about who I would live with esp when as the others say you are in that job for the long haul if you move.

Just for your own comparison I get a housing allowance from my company of 85k a year. I get a decent salary on top of that as well as health insurance and a flight back to Ireland once a year and one or two other company specific benefits.... My job is a regional manager position and I have several years experience but I don't think I could live on less over here(granted that I've been living alone too long to go back to sharing!).

My friend who is a department head teacher gets a two bed apt of her own, a decent salary(I would work it out as maybe double your salary offer) and health benefits in her school. The thing I have learnt about Dubai is you must ask every question under the sun about everything or you will get no where! Even ones that in Ireland would be irrelevant you are better to ask!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fun times

Leelaw17 im moving to the same school in Mamzar, wit less of a salary (7000) , but I think with accomodation and air fare paid , it should be ok . Im not going in order to save a huge amount of money but i definetly think it is enough to live on . I think a lot depends on experience, and with less than two years experience it seems a lot tougher to get a job paying more than this .

Hiya! wow small world!do you know when you are starting?they havent given me dates yet, nto much info at all really! where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fun times

No, I havent heard anything back really after i signed. A bit worried about that ! cos that was a few weeks ago. anyway the guy in the teachin agency assures me its all good , they jus take a while to sort it out. Im a bit worried , the school isnt on google which is weird, like it doesnt have a website. I was thinkin of just applying for some new jobs bbut someone told me that because your job is linked to your visa and i have already signed, that I wont be able to change. Anwyay I tink im jus gunna take it and hope for the best !

Basically you can come to Dubai for 30 Days on a tourist visa and gain a job. Although it can take a month for a visa to be processed here. Well that is if they are processing the visa before you get here. Took me a month and a half to gt mine when I got here.

They are making some changes to the visa laws but nothing really major. What is the name of the school I can have a look around and see if I can found out anything here for you.

And if it is thru and agency you gained the job is it an irish one or a UAE if it is a UAE one what was the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lollipoplady

leelaw17 wrote: »
    Hi there!

Hey! I have actually just returned from dubai in the last 3 weeks i was teaching in a local private school in Mamzar.8000 is fairly standard. Generally teaching contracts cover accom, yearly flights, visa so really your only worry is food and drink!! we used to save about 300-500e a month (but its possible to save a hell of a lot more by doing grinds and not going out all the time!!) I lived in a place called Al Nahda 2, its about 15minutes from the school, teachers in Mamzar generally live here. There is very little to do in Mamzar as its very "working class" but there is a beautiful beach there and a shopping centre (deira city centre) nearby. Teaching out there is seriously tough work. In Mamzar schools are generally local arab, Indian or pakistani. I dont know of any international expat school in the area.
    if you have any questions anyway just ask!! Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

my wife has just accepted a teaching job in Abu Dhabi for 13,000 AED a month inc accommodation for us both and flights as well. Also being given an allowance to furnish our accommodation once we get there.

Anyone else any experiences of Abu Dhabi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Hey, boyfriend is after being offered a job in Dubai and he is taking it, he is heading over in the next 2 weeks and I will hopefully follow him over once he is settled. I will be heading over augist some time with the dog :rolleyes:

I will be going over on a tourist visa and will be looking for work, does annyone no do I need to have a return flight book since I will be on a holiday visa:confused:

• Advertisement

Its best to book a return flight.

When I fist moved over, I was still traveling around the UAE quite a bit before getting my Visa & had a return flight booked just in case I got stopped going through the airport.

Advertisement