Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Do You Kill Your Fish???

Options
  • 16-09-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

There was a lot of controversy over my videos on this and other forums... because i smack a fish with a 310 gramm knife...

it is killed fist blow and I only hit it a few more times to kill all neural activity...

I would like to know how you kill fish...:D

May it be by bending there necks back... to break... and gills rip and poo everywhere or whatever method you use...

and by the way an average priest is only 120 gramms
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Priest does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Priest does the job for me.

do you hit it a few times or just once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Once usually kills him but I always hit a few just in case, even if I think he's dead.

Once usually kills him but I always hit a few just in case, even if I think he's dead.

do you think a 310 gramm short 160mm blade knife does the job? i.e 11 ounces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Depends on the fish on how I dispatch them,- macks I'd break their neck by putting finger in their mouth and pulling back, others priest, others a knife through the gill cage cutting their throat and gills which also bleeds them, bit like breaking their necks.

Has anyone ever used those spikes in the brain that the Japanese apparently use? They are meant to be the fastest method of dispatch and very humane.

Dry fly, that knife you use seems very effiecient at the job - what is is and where do you get one?

• Advertisement

snow ghost wrote: »
    Depends on the fish on how I dispatch them,- macks I'd break their neck by putting finger in their mouth and pulling back, others priest, others a knife through the gill cage cutting their throat and gills which also bleeds them, bit like breaking their necks.

Has anyone ever used those spikes in the brain that the Japanese apparently use? They are meant to be the fastest method of dispatch and very humane.

Dry fly, that knife you use seems very effiecient at the job - what is is and where do you get one?

i dont want to promote people buying knifes..

the knife is like a mini axe... take good size branches down to fly cast a river...

i dont want to promote people buying knifes..

I didn't ask you to promote people buying knives.

If it is your secret weapon used on your wonderous rambo fishing missions, you keep it to yourself, I understand. ;)

I didn't ask you to promote people buying knives.

If it is your secret weapon used on your wonderous rambo fishing missions, you keep it to yourself, I understand. ;)
    LMAO
    any knife with a short blade and is 10 or eleven ounses will do the job...

LMAO
    any knife with a short blade and is 10 or eleven ounses will do the job...

Cheers, I might just stick to biting their heads off! :eek:

BTW do you bleed any of your fish?

Cheers, I might just stick to biting their heads off! :eek:

BTW do you bleed any of your fish?
    no need iv a fridge freezer in the back of the van;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

priest does the trick,cant see why you coudnt use a heavy knife,im sure people have improvised here

no need iv a fridge freezer in the back of the van;)

Aye Mr Whippy... your career as an icecream man obviously has its perks! ;)

Aye Mr Whippy... your career as an icecream man obviously has its perks! ;)

i dont think we have the climate that you need to bleed fish...

water temp is always cold enough.... keep them in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I drown them
    Only messing i use a Ike Jime

I drown them
    Only messing i use a Ike Jime

you mean you do the Ike Jime ...... no its not a celebratory dance ..... ike jime is a technique for slaughtering fish by which the brain is spiked and the spinal cord is destroyed by a wire or needle that is pushed into the spinal cord ....just so people dont need to google......presume you follow on by bleeding it...

seen a few videos on that and i think my fish get off very light compared.... depends on how warm it is though.... if it needs to be done it needs to be done.... messy though

by any chance are you from japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Jesus dryfly a freezer in the back of the van im getting seriously worried about you, how many poachers have you got in the back of that thing!!!
    I use a bog oak priest myself!

TimMac wrote: »
    Jesus dryfly a freezer in the back of the van im getting seriously worried about you, how many poachers have you got in the back of that thing!!!
    I use a bog oak priest myself!

show us a photo of the bog oak priest... did you make it yourself... or is it literally a stick

Im afraid nothing fancy only a stick.
    show us a photo of the bog oak priest... did you make it yourself... or is it literally a stick

Im afraid nothing fancy only a stick.

show us a photo of your priest even though it is a stick... like to see bog oak priest:) never seen one before..

ya could sell that on e-bay for 60€ to the yanks...

Will do
    show us a photo of your priest even though it is a stick... like to see bog oak priest:) never seen one before..

ya could sell that on e-bay for 60€ to the yanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I use a priest I made myself. It's a big socket (you know, from a tool box, goes on a rachet to open a nut) full of lead that's stuck on about 10 inches of a brushpole handle.
    The weight the of lead gives it a nice swing. One crack between the eyes always works.

Will do

anyone know the guy who sold mud to the states... made a million or more...

just because the irish americans wanted to walk out on their irish sod...

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I use a priest I made myself. It's a big socket (you know, from a tool box, goes on a rachet to open a nut) full of lead that's stuck on about 10 inches of a brushpole handle.
    The weight the of lead gives it a nice swing. One crack between the eyes always works.

do you only hit the fish once or do you do a couple or three for good measure...

that would do the job, what does it weigh?

Not sure. The handle is light and all the weight is at the end. Much better than ones you get in the shop! My dad made it and it was so good all the lads wanted them!
    We made a great one one time, it was a steel big ball bearing welded on to about a 10 inch long metal rod. We put about 3 inches of wood brush handle at the end over the rod and a strap on the end. It was savagely good, but left it on an oar pin somewhere. Looked good too! The socket one doesn't look as good, but it's as effective.

do you only hit the fish once or do you do a couple or three for good measure...

2 or 3. Once probably does the job if you have it gripped nicely and get a sharp crack on the head. But does no harm (the irony!) to give it another couple of bangs to make sure

Anyone tried a karate chop on them or punching them out?

I'm sure a swift chop with the side of the hand is as good as any priest... so how come no one uses hand-to-fin combat on them?

...the fish that is not the poachers! ;)

2 or 3. Once probably does the job if you have it gripped nicely and get a sharp crack on the head. But does no harm (the irony!) to give it another couple of bangs to make sure

iv a habit of 3-5 smacks.. bit of overkill... a well sure at least i did not use the battery and car leads....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone tried a karate chop on them or punching them out?

I'm sure a swift chop with the side of the hand is as good as any priest... so how come no one uses hand-to-fin combat on them?

LMAO

here seriously you need to respect the fish..... the C&R guys will be on here in a min... and then were done for,...

what do you think is the most humane way of killing a fish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement