Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,

I too have been reading this thread with great interest. Reading everyones experiences is actually quite uplifting. I know that I am not alone.

Like most people, as a child i endured years and years of chronic bullying. I was able to hide it from my parents but by the time they found out the damage had been done. 14 years later (im now 24) all those insecurities are weighing me down. It's not a case of BDD, where I perceive I have physical "flaws". I know that I have.

This episode started last May (ive had 2 major episodes; 2004 and 2007 and i came very close to being hospitalized on both occasions). I was working till last July but then was let go. Since then I have tried my best to stay indoors. I go out enough not to get people suspicious, I go to family outings, meet my friends etc but i count down the minutes till im in bed fast asleep. I look forward to going to bed, it literally is complete peace of mind. The thoughts of having to commit to going somewhere gives me a panic attack. I know that I should be seeing a professional and I was extreeemely lucky that I had the most wonderful psychiatrist looking after me in 2007, and i know that I could go back and he would be like a father and comfort me and cheer me up. However how do you go about saying that you "don't like what you look like".

Ok now i really am ranting. It's nearly 10, hopefully be asleep by quarter past :)

One more thing. The expression "you have your health", well it's not much good if you don't have good mental health. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

One more thing. The expression "you have your health", well it's not much good if you don't have good mental health. Sigh.

Well said.

Hang on in there, things have to get better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Started taking anti-depressants today for the first time. Not sure if I like them. Felt like a cross between the high of ecstasy and the paranoia of smoking weed. Is that an initial thing or is it like that every time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Just sitting here listening to the lashing rain outside. I'm finding it oddly theraputic and calming!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Started taking anti-depressants today for the first time. Not sure if I like them. Felt like a cross between the high of ecstasy and the paranoia of smoking weed. Is that an initial thing or is it like that every time?

It's all different for different people. I should think it's just an initial thing my friend. Give it time they take a while to even out. Any real worries about them go back to your doctor,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Oh god. I've a driving lesson this weekend. I'm finding it very tough anxiety wise and it doesn't help tat i'm crap at it. I'm dreading it but i dpn't want to quit coz i have to learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

no offense but maybe the fact that you have tried both ecstasy and weed (both mind altering substances) is part of the reason you find yourself having to take these anti depressants now

mickman wrote: »
    no offense but maybe the fact that you have tried both ecstasy and weed (both mind altering substances) is part of the reason you find yourself having to take these anti depressants now

Even if it was the reason, do you think that saying something like that is gonna help someone who has depression???? Get off your high horse you self-righteous ****.
    Only ever did pills maybe 5 times in my quarter of a century on this planet. I've had depression long before I ever experimented with drugs/alcohol.

Even if it was the reason, do you think that saying something like that is gonna help someone who has depression???? Get off your high horse you self-righteous ****.
    Only ever did pills maybe 5 times in my quarter of a century on this planet. I've had depression long before I ever experimented with drugs/alcohol.

havent u ever read the potential side effects of "pills" as you call them. one tablet of ecstasy can damage your mental health for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Bebs

havent u ever read the potential side effects of "pills" as you call them. one tablet of ecstasy can damage your mental health for life

What's your point? Are you saying that he's responsible for his mental health problems?

• Advertisement

Bebs wrote: »
    What's your point? Are you saying that he's responsible for his mental health problems?

potentially yes, ecstasy and other "pills" can cause mental health problems

potentially yes, ecstasy and other "pills" can cause mental health problems

Ok, so what did you hope to achieve by voicing such an opinion?

Ok, so what did you hope to achieve by voicing such an opinion?

nothing but i dont think the poster should be comparing his taking of anti depressants to a mixture of the feelings he had when he was taking multiple kinds of mind altering drugs. its not a good thing to be posting in this forum for people who may have to take these meds and not want to experience what it feels like to be on "ecstacy" and "weed"

nothing but i dont think the poster should be comparing his taking of anti depressants to a mixture of the feelings he had when he was taking multiple kinds of mind altering drugs. its not a good thing to be posting in this forum for people who may have to take these meds and not want to experience what it feels like to be on "ecstacy" and "weed"

Aren't anti-depressants also mind altering drugs? Do you think it'd bother people to know that there were similarities between the experiences or does it just bother you?

of course it would bother people. a lot of people are nervous about starting antid's and dont want to think they will experience the feelings of weed and ecstasy (where they see adds all over the internet about the frightening effects of both drugs)

and lets face it , anti d's are a little safer then ecstasy

i have never taken either so it dosent bother me one way or the other. but if you read the posts on this forum there are a lot of nervous people on it and they dont want to listen to this guy spouting the simillarites between anti d's and ecstasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

We're all grown ups here though. And this thread is meant to be here for people to talk about their experiences of coping with an illness with a huge social stigma. It's meant to be open and welcoming. And I think the poster was trying to find out whether his reaction to his meds are normal or not, using the nearest comparison to the sensation that he could think of.

He wasn't saying they were the same, he was asking was his reaction normal. Looking for support, like we all are.

i-digress wrote: »
    We're all grown ups here though. And this thread is meant to be here for people to talk about their experiences of coping with an illness with a huge social stigma. It's meant to be open and welcoming. And I think the poster was trying to find out whether his reaction to his meds are normal or not, using the nearest comparison to the sensation that he could think of.

He wasn't saying they were the same, he was asking was his reaction normal. Looking for support, like we all are.

grand. everyone is entitled to their opinion but i dont agree with it.

Perhaps I have more faith in people but I'd like to believe that they're well capable of making up their own minds when it comes to judging claims about medication.

Anyway, blaming this gentleman's mental illness on his drug use which neither you nor I know much of anything about is a bit different from protecting the innocent forum goers from spurious claims about medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Pat D., I'm on effexor and although I find that I'm a little numb, I don't usually have the effects that you describe. If it's really getting to you maybe go back to your doctor, it might be that that particular one doesn't agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 holden1

I can't find any work at all, my wife of 18 years does not understand this as she is a civil servant and has thrown me out of the house, I had no prsi stamps left so was not getting a dole payment, as my wife earns a lot. I loved her so much. now the tax payer is paying my dole and my rent.
    I bet there is a lot of men out there like this and that there will be a lot more. I allways belived in feminism but how many men with good jobs end their marriage over money. I loved her so much I can't take this anymore I have now starting drinking I can't stop crying and really just whant to die.

men are people too:(

• Advertisement

holden1 wrote: »
    I can't find any work at all, my wife of 18 years does not understand this as she is a civil servant and has thrown me out of the house, I had no prsi stamps left so was not getting a dole payment, as my wife earns a lot. I loved her so much. now the tax payer is paying my dole and my rent.
    I bet there is a lot of men out there like this and that there will be a lot more. I allways belived in feminism but how many men with good jobs end their marriage over money. I loved her so much I can't take this anymore I have now starting drinking I can't stop crying and really just whant to die.

men are people too:(

how did she manage to throw you out of the house? stop drinking and get back into the house, its half yours as well as hers. if she wants a divorce let her do it and take half of what she has. stop letting her walk all over you

Exactly. Go see a solicitor or free legal aid centre. Get to know what you're entitled to and what she can and can't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 holden1

Exactly. Go see a solicitor or free legal aid centre. Get to know what you're entitled to and what she can and can't do.

and to mickman too thanks youre prob right

You're better off knowing your rights and getting as much information as possible. If nothing else it keeps you motivated and has you working towards something.

It's rough but it's not the end of the world.

grand. everyone is entitled to their opinion but i dont agree with it.

what do you not agree with exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Ah lads lets not be turning on eachother. We're here to help eachother through this.

what do you not agree with exactly?

From what I gather he believes that you shouldn't be comparing illegal mind altering drugs with the legal kind as it will make people feel insecure about their own medication. So I think he disagrees with you making such a statement.

From what I gather he believes that you shouldn't be comparing illegal mind altering drugs with the legal kind as it will make people feel insecure about their own medication. So I think he disagrees with you making such a statement.

Well that's a bit silly...... in my opinion of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So how's the mental health today?

Ive found a new way to combat my leaving the house fear. Sunglasses. It's like wearing a disguise, when im not making eye contact I feel like a different person!

Does anyone know of any support groups that we can attend? I know that OCD ireland run a few but any time ive emailed them they havent been very supportive.
    Also im not sure if we're allowed suggest publications but i'm reading a book now that I find quite good and i'd recommend it to people. Even if it doesnt work for you, you can at least be proud of yourself for giving it a go :) it's called "Shoot the damn dog"- Sally Brampton.

I walked 5 miles in the hope that it would have me fast asleep by 11. Clearly that didn't work. Maybe ill count some sheep.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Check out the aware.ie They do support groups all over the country.

There is Grow too - it's based along the AA style 12 steps. I tried it once but it wasn't my cuppa tea at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement