Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

Dunphus wrote: »
    My girlfriend applied from the Netherlands, where we both live together, and they didn't accept the application as we don't live in Ireland.

Did they tell you that this is why your application was not accepted. It says on the INIS website:

The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland.

It seems like a catch 22 situation. They won't give you a visa because you are not in the country, but you can't live in the country because you can't get a visa....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SantaBaby

Hi Everyone,

I just received my letter granting me permission to temporarily reside in Ireland as a De Facto Partner of an Irish Citizen a little over a week ago!

I wanted to share my experience with you because I found the information on boards to be extremely valuable while preparing our application. Note that I applied before they posted the change of departments on the INIS website, when I was preparing the application, the only option was to apply after you arrived in Ireland.

At the time of application, we had known each other for 3 years and had been living together for 2.5 years. I am American and my partner is Irish. We decided to move to Ireland and apply for De Facto 6 months before doing so, during that time, we saved money to sustain us at the beginning. It took us over 2 months after arriving in Ireland for my partner to get a job and for us to get settled here with an apartment before applying. After applying, we waited for about 6 months to receive a final decision. During that time, I was unable to leave the country or work. After 3 months of waiting, we did contact a local politician who contacted INIS on our behalf, they replied that the process was taking about 8 months. I don't know if contacting a politician made a difference to our wait time or not. Before that, I contacted them via the e-mail listed on the INIS defacto webpage and they were very prompt in their reply. If you have any questions, I would recommend contacting them that way so you can get an official answer.

Our application was complete when we sent it in and we were never asked for any additional information. It included a cover page, table of contents, contact information, a letter from each of us, relationship history, and copies of passports. Then we included every single document we ever received for our proof of shared address, proof of joint financial accounts, and proof of financial stability. Finally, we added a facebook timeline of relationship, e-mail correspondence, dated photographs, greeting cards, event tickets, plane tickets, police clearance from home country, and private insurance details. The whole collection of documents filled a 2 inch binder.

Once you receive your letter, you have to go to your local Garda Immigration office. I recommend arriving maybe 30 minutes or more before they open in the morning to get in line. We arrived 15 minutes after they opened and waited for about 5 hours before we were seen. People who had been to the Dublin office said you need to arrive 1+ hours before opening. You and your partner need to go together with your passports. You need to bring your letter, proof of insurance, and 300 Euro for the registration (they don't take cash). 10 days later you have to go back to pick up your new GNIB card!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this board! Hope this is helpful too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tonydub2

rasher83 wrote: »
    Tony, did you and your partner apply for defacto from within Ireland? or in USA?
    Thanks,
    Denis

Hi Denis,
    We applied from within Ireland that's the only way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

qdawg86 wrote: »
    Did they tell you that this is why your application was not accepted. It says on the INIS website:

The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland.

It seems like a catch 22 situation. They won't give you a visa because you are not in the country, but you can't live in the country because you can't get a visa....

Fly over with the docs and post it addressed from your parents place might be a way around?
    I was told that marriage is the easier way to get the stamp 4 and actually I have some friends that got it by this way because they didnt have 2 years together as needed to apply in the De facto Relationship. Maybe you should check it again.

If you don't have a stamp 4 prior to marriage it might get you a stamp 3 to enable you to stay without working.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

I would like to know who was the dunderhead who stopped local immi gards from printing out GNIB cards on the spot. By forcing people to pay €300 you should expect to get their card and stamp on the same day instead of waiting 10 days for it come down from Dublin. Absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

All, I know me/my partner maybe judged here but I am looking for advice.
    Is there any hope getting the stamp 4 for my partner who overstayed a tourist visa for a no. of years so is undocumented (or 'illegal' as some people call it).
    I'm an irish citizen and we have been living together for over 2 years in my home. We.don't.want to have to leave the country to stay together. Any advice or shared experience is appreciated. I will be getting legal advice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Octopsc

Hi All,

I've made an application for de-facto status in June 2014, all i heard from dept was acknowledgement that they have received the application, since then i haven't heard anything yet, just wondering has any one heard anything since 4 months of their applications dropped? my current visa has expired on 30 Sep 14, not sure - can we approach GNIB and ask for temporary stamp until we get decision.

Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Octopsc wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've made an application for de-facto status in June 2014, all i heard from dept was acknowledgement that they have received the application, since then i haven't heard anything yet, just wondering has any one heard anything since 4 months of their applications dropped? my current visa has expired on 30 Sep 14, not sure - can we approach GNIB and ask for temporary stamp until we get decision.

Please advise.
    Four months + wouldn't be all that unusual, though some people have been processed quicker than that.

It's important that you always have a current immigration stamp on your passport, so treat this matter as urgent.

You need to go with your partner ASAP to your local Garda Immigration Officer or to GNIB in Burgh Quay. Bring the acknowledgement letter as well as both your passports & ask for an extension of your current visa. If they only give you a stamp for a month make sure that you get another extension stamp before this one expires.

In fact it might be better for both of you to arrive & ask what you are meant to do seeing you have heard nothing further about your defacto application. Just play dumb & let them suggest that they stamp your passport with an extension.

They will probably advise you to contact the defacto section by email to enquire about the status of your application. Certainly if you haven't heard anything by the six month mark you should contact them.

Thanks Butterfield,

As you said I've approached GNIB in Dublin with my partner before my visa expired, I've visited 3-4 times in Sep'14, met different officers - all they say is its legal to stay until decision is pending, but they have no rights to give temporary visa that has to be advised by department of justice, so in this situation no idea what to do. Do you have any idea or have you heard any cases that GNIB has stamped temporary visas in this situation until decision is pending?

I've even emailed De-Facto department saying my current visa has expired, I've got reply in Sep 2014 saying that they are processing files from Jan 2014 :(

Thanks,
    Octo

Octopsc wrote: »
    Thanks Butterfield,

As you said I've approached GNIB in Dublin with my partner before my visa expired, I've visited 3-4 times in Sep'14, met different officers - all they say is its legal to stay until decision is pending, but they have no rights to give temporary visa that has to be advised by department of justice, so in this situation no idea what to do. Do you have any idea or have you heard any cases that GNIB has stamped temporary visas in this situation until decision is pending?

I've even emailed De-Facto department saying my current visa has expired, I've got reply in Sep 2014 saying that they are processing files from Jan 2014 :(

Thanks,
    Octo
    My information could well be out of date, but I have heard of people getting short extensions & also people being advised for a Stamp 3. A quick search shows this post over in the long defacto thread.: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83453889&postcount=185

However, once you have actually gone in & been told you don't need one plus the fact that you have the email in which you stated that your visa has expired there is no more you can do.

• Advertisement

Thanks will update if any new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vbIE

Hi everybody,

I have a friend that got the Civil Partnership with another guy last month. He is not from Europe and his partner is from France. They got the partnership in the french embassy. He applied for the Stamp 4, and he already got the immigration stamp 4 for 5 years in his passport. Now He is just waiting for the GNIB card to arrive in his house and the card is probably arriving in maximum 4 months. The problem is that they broke up last week and He doesn't know if he is still allowed to keep the Stamp 4 or if it will be cancelled. Does anyone could give me any help about it?

Thanks a million.

vbIE wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I have a friend that got the Civil Partnership with another guy last month. He is not from Europe and his partner is from France. They got the partnership in the french embassy. He applied for the Stamp 4, and he already got the immigration stamp 4 for 5 years in his passport. Now He is just waiting for the GNIB card to arrive in his house and the card is probably arriving in maximum 4 months. The problem is that they broke up last week and He doesn't know if he is still allowed to keep the Stamp 4 or if it will be cancelled. Does anyone could give me any help about it?

Thanks a million.
    He was probably issued with a Stamp EU Fam 4 which is governed by an EU Direcive & depends on the holder's ongoing relationship with an EU citizen & gives more rights than a plain old Stamp 4 which depends on the holder's ongoing relationship with an Irish resident citizen.

However, as both are dependant on the holder's ongoing relationship with thier Irish/EU partner the holder is meant to inform immigration authorities of their change in circumstances. Their are certain circumstances which allow for the holder to retain independant residency status following separation, but these are mainly for domestic violence/abuse victims.

I'd advise your friend to seek proper legal advice. He could start with GLEN http://www.glen.ie/ , Irish Immigrant Support Centre http://www.nascireland.org/know-your-rights/domestic-violence-and-immigration/ , & Crosscare Migrant Project http://www.migrantproject.ie/index.php/what-we-do/immigration-information

All the above offer free information & advocacy services & are well versed in the legalities of individual situations & could provide tailored advice to your friend & more than likely some sort of legal aid/details of legal aid, immigration lawyers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alessa86

Hi BRazirland,

I was hoping you can help me as I'm in your same situation. I don't know if you finally give the de facto to your partner in Brazil and if this helped you to get yours for Ireland. I'm from Colombia. And my boyfriend and I want to do that if it helps.

Any help or advice will be very helpful!
    Thanks.

quote="Brazirland;90872198"]Hi guys.. as many here I'm worried about the 2 year rule and as I far as I know they are being reeally strict about that! Im Brazilian and my boyfriend is Irish.. we will be together for 2 years by the time we apply for the defacto visa.. but we will be living together for 1 and 1/2 years or something like that. We intend to get married in case they refuse the application. I have a few questions:

1. We are gonna apply for the same thing in Brazil.. where is much easier to get. I was told you just have to go to the office and sign the papers. Would that help us here? Could they take that into consideration because we won't be living together for 2 years yet but are, by the laws of Brazil, partners already?

2. If they refuse, would they give us time to get married if we decide to do so? I think it takes 3 months to get married here because you have to book a time in the office or something. I'm worried they will tell me to leave the country and we wont be able even to get married before that.

If someone knows something to help us, please, let us know. Thanks![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flicka10

Hi everyone,

This thread was a great source of information for my partner and me during the application process, so I feel that it's only fair to share our experience in case there is something of use for somebody else.

My partner is Korean, and we had been together for more than six years when we applied for de facto partnership. We met in Korea, and had been sharing an apartment there for four years. We moved to Ireland in May 2014, and it took us a month to get some documents translated so we were finally able to submit our application on June 16th. We received a letter from INIS by registered post yesterday which informed us that the application had been successful and that she has been granted a Stamp 4 for 12 months. The letter was dated November 18th, so the processing time was almost exactly five months.

Our application contained 204 pages in a large binder which I delivered by hand to INIS. In it, we included a cover page with a picture of us, followed by a letter from each of us, a detailed summary of our relationship history (about 3-4 pages long), copies of every page of both of our passports, and police clearance checks and official records from Korean immigration with stamped translations. In the next section, we included bank statements from Korea and Ireland with relevant sections highlighted (transfers to each other's bank accounts) and the statements spanned the previous three years. Then there were employment records for her and reference letters from previous employers and a bank statement from me showing that I am currently employed. In the final section, we had emails, plane tickets (alongside copies of relevant passport pages with stamps side by side), Facebook screenshots, and pictures organised by year since 2008. I made sure to include pictures of us with mutual friends along with Facebook messages from the same friends, and I also put in a lot of emails from my parents and other family members in which they mention my partner.

We were never asked for additional information, and I found the department to be very helpful and prompt whenever I emailed them throughout the process.

Hopefully this is helpful for somebody else, and best of luck to everyone applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chelsey2a

Hello all , i got the de facto visa with my partner two years ago and we are due to renew it for the second time. Im wondering does anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can renew this visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

chelsey2a wrote: »
    Hello all , i got the de facto visa with my partner two years ago and we are due to renew it for the second time. Im wondering does anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can renew this visa?

Dont think there is a limit, but after 5 years your partner will be able to apply for a permanent residency visa.

Dont think there is a limit, but after 5 years your partner will be able to apply for a permanent residency visa.
    Thanks thats what i thought, have another two years and then i can get residency

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yolili57

I have a relationship with a Irish citizen. we have been living together for 2 years and we have a baby boy who is one year.

At the moment we are in Australia but we want to go to Ireland to live there with his family it because in Australia we dont have family and it is difficult with small baby.

The reason why I post this is because I have ready looked for information about it on the webside for apply for visa (long term join family) but the webside doesnt have clear information about which documents we need in order to do the aplication.

could anyone help me.

our soon is Australian citizen.

Thanks.

Hi all, I went to renew my de facto visa for the second time since being approved for the visa in 2012. Well after waiting over two hours I was told that I need to get health insurance before they renew my visa. This was news to me as I know the health insurance was a condition when I originally applied for the visa but there was no mention of it last year when I renewed it. The guy at least was nice of enough to write me a note so I don't have to queue the next time I go in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 o_so_awkward

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out or maybe offer some pearls of wisdom.

I received a stamp 4 allowing me to stay in Ireland on the basis of my relationship in January 2014. We broke up over the holidays this year. My visa expired on January 6th. I re enrolled in school in December, but registration didn't take place until January. I had to wait for my college to sent a letter to the GNIB so I could switch to a stamp 2 visa. When I arrived a very nice gentlemen told me I wouldn't want to switch because a stamp 4 is better, etc. I explained the situation and he said that I would need to contact a different office. So I did. They promptly emailed me back the following:

</i>The De Facto Relationship Unit cannot advise the GNIB to register you under
    Stamp 2 student conditions. Your immigration permission to be in Ireland is solely based on your
    committed long term relationship with an Irish National or Irish Resident.
    If the relationship ends the permission ends.

In order for a renewal of your permission to remain in the State to be
    considered it will be necessary for you to make a written application to
    the De Facto Relationship Unit, Residence Division - Unit 1, INIS, 13/14
    Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 outlining the circumstances surrounding your break-up
    and why you left it to now to advise INIS.

What were the circumstances surrounding the break up?
    How long were you in a durable relationship for? Please give exact
    details regarding same
    When did the relationship finally break down? Please give exact details
    regarding same
    Are you currently in contact with your partner? If not, when was the
    last time you were in contact with him?
    Please provide documentary evidence to show how you are currently
    maintaining yourself whilst in the State
    Are there any prospects of reconciliation
    Full copy of your national Passport
    Two passport photos
    Original evidence of your current address
    Copy of your GNIB Certificate of Registration Card
    Evidence of your enrolment and include details of the course of study being pursued.<i>

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips or advice? I've already paid my student fees for the semester and right now have no visa. It's a massive ball of stress. Any advice or wisdom will be massively appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 o_so_awkward

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out or maybe offer some pearls of wisdom.

I received a stamp 4 allowing me to stay in Ireland on the basis of my relationship in January 2014. We broke up over the holidays this year. My visa expired on January 6th. I re enrolled in school in December, but registration didn't take place until January. I had to wait for my college to sent a letter to the GNIB so I could switch to a stamp 2 visa. When I arrived a very nice gentlemen told me I wouldn't want to switch because a stamp 4 is better, etc. I explained the situation and he said that I would need to contact a different office. So I did. They promptly emailed me back the following:

<i>The De Facto Relationship Unit cannot advise the GNIB to register you under
    Stamp 2 student conditions. Your immigration permission to be in Ireland is solely based on your
    committed long term relationship with an Irish National or Irish Resident.
    If the relationship ends the permission ends.

In order for a renewal of your permission to remain in the State to be
    considered it will be necessary for you to make a written application to
    the De Facto Relationship Unit, Residence Division - Unit 1, INIS, 13/14
    Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 outlining the circumstances surrounding your break-up
    and why you left it to now to advise INIS.

What were the circumstances surrounding the break up?
    How long were you in a durable relationship for? Please give exact
    details regarding same
    When did the relationship finally break down? Please give exact details
    regarding same
    Are you currently in contact with your partner? If not, when was the
    last time you were in contact with him?
    Please provide documentary evidence to show how you are currently
    maintaining yourself whilst in the State
    Are there any prospects of reconciliation
    Full copy of your national Passport
    Two passport photos
    Original evidence of your current address
    Copy of your GNIB Certificate of Registration Card
    Evidence of your enrolment and include details of the course of study being pursued.</i>

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips or advice? I've already paid my student fees for the semester and right now have no visa. It's a massive ball of stress. Any advice or wisdom will be massively appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

Hi All,

Thanks for help so much here for helping me in getting de facto visa .Its been two years I got defacto visa in Ireland and my query is if I am moving to UK with bf ,as he is searching jobs their as many jobs available for him in UK .I want to stay with him in UK too but not unsure Ireland defacto stamp 4 EUFAM visa is considered valid their and when applying citizenship in Ireland or permanent resident card I need to stay here in Ireland.Can anybody say me please in this case what will be the options to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Riat wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for help so much here for helping me in getting de facto visa .Its been two years I got defacto visa in Ireland and my query is if I am moving to UK with bf ,as he is searching jobs their as many jobs available for him in UK .I want to stay with him in UK too but not unsure Ireland defacto stamp 4 EUFAM visa is considered valid their and when applying citizenship in Ireland or permanent resident card I need to stay here in Ireland.Can anybody say me please in this case what will be the options to proceed.

Almost positive it's not valid there.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Almost positive it's not valid there.

I concur. You will need to apply for a visa for the UK as the first step of the UK immigration process. The UK will not give any recognition to or credit for the Irish Defacto Stamp 4 EUFAM visa.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Riat wrote: »
    Hi All,

If your boyfriend is an Irish citizen he is entitled to exercise EU trety rights and so can travel with his non eu registered partner. Unfortunately the residence requirements for ciizenship are strict and being in the UK will not increase your overall residence time and will break your one year continuous residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ucdhead25

Hi I have a stamp 4 defacto visa with my partner. We are considering getting married next year. Do we have to go through a reapplication process for a spousal visa or when we renew the registration of the defacto visa do they automatically convert the defacto visa to a spousal visa. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

Hi all,

I have query for STAMP4EUFAM ,I already obtained this visa in year 2013 but now planning to move UK and applied same visa their,my query is what will happen to STAMP4EUFAM I obtained in Ireland,I send them email no reply,anybody have idea what need to be done ,hope to hear from you all.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishgirl88

flicka10 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

This thread was a great source of information for my partner and me during the application process, so I feel that it's only fair to share our experience in case there is something of use for somebody else.

My partner is Korean, and we had been together for more than six years when we applied for de facto partnership. We met in Korea, and had been sharing an apartment there for four years. We moved to Ireland in May 2014, and it took us a month to get some documents translated so we were finally able to submit our application on June 16th. We received a letter from INIS by registered post yesterday which informed us that the application had been successful and that she has been granted a Stamp 4 for 12 months. The letter was dated November 18th, so the processing time was almost exactly five months.

Our application contained 204 pages in a large binder which I delivered by hand to INIS. In it, we included a cover page with a picture of us, followed by a letter from each of us, a detailed summary of our relationship history (about 3-4 pages long), copies of every page of both of our passports, and police clearance checks and official records from Korean immigration with stamped translations. In the next section, we included bank statements from Korea and Ireland with relevant sections highlighted (transfers to each other's bank accounts) and the statements spanned the previous three years. Then there were employment records for her and reference letters from previous employers and a bank statement from me showing that I am currently employed. In the final section, we had emails, plane tickets (alongside copies of relevant passport pages with stamps side by side), Facebook screenshots, and pictures organised by year since 2008. I made sure to include pictures of us with mutual friends along with Facebook messages from the same friends, and I also put in a lot of emails from my parents and other family members in which they mention my partner.

We were never asked for additional information, and I found the department to be very helpful and prompt whenever I emailed them throughout the process.

Hopefully this is helpful for somebody else, and best of luck to everyone applying!

Thanks so much for sharing. Do you both have to be living in the country to apple.. My US bf cannot afford to not work for five months and Therfore wants to stay in the US before moving here -thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Thanks so much for sharing. Do you both have to be living in the country to apple.. My US bf cannot afford to not work for five months and Therfore wants to stay in the US before moving here -thanks!

No, I dont think so. Just have all the required iinformation, documents proof of relationship etc. and then play the waiting game. Your bf will be waiting for a visa to join his partner.

Advertisement