Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting sugar

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I've given up sugar temporarily but during that time I've been reading up a lot on the 'I quit sugar' programme, and watched the 'Fed up' documentary. It's quite scary how they portray it, highly addictive and extremely bad for us..in the quantities most people consume of course!
    I've kept fruit in my diet, but cut out as much other sugar as possible. I've discovered of course it sneaks into all kinds of everyday products, so it's encouraging me to cook more and more from scratch.

So, what do you think about sugar? Is it really evil? Do you love it? Are you addicted?(Like I am!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TracyWills

dearg lady wrote: »
    I've given up sugar temporarily but during that time I've been reading up a lot on the 'I quit sugar' programme, and watched the 'Fed up' documentary. It's quite scary how they portray it, highly addictive and extremely bad for us..in the quantities most people consume of course!
    I've kept fruit in my diet, but cut out as much other sugar as possible. I've discovered of course it sneaks into all kinds of everyday products, so it's encouraging me to cook more and more from scratch.

So, what do you think about sugar? Is it really evil? Do you love it? Are you addicted?(Like I am!)

i am not addicted to sugar. but i really love to eat sweets i just limit my self eating sugar. everything that is too much always have a bad effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Calling it the devil is a bit melodramatic but it should basically be way down the list of things to eat, it's pretty terrible. Unstable spikes in blood sugar and insulin, messes up hunger/satiety hormones, stresses the liver, rots the teeth, allows you to eat massive amounts of calories while still leaving you hungry, contributes to high cholesterol, and it's the main cause of the US obesity crisis, aka 'metabolic syndrome', which is effectively the body's reaction to extremely excessive sugar intake...just awful.

The one exception is exercise. If you eat sugar in and around intense exercise your body will burn it for energy then and there or uses it to rebuild glycogen stores after, which is fine. It drink a post-gym shake with glucose and powdered oats in it, for example, to kickstart recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So what are you subbing in for essentially all your carbs? I'd be ravenous all day if I couldn't get my carbs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Zillah wrote: »
    Calling it the devil is a bit melodramatic but it should basically be way down the list of things to eat, it's pretty terrible. Unstable spikes in blood sugar and insulin, messes up hunger/satiety hormones, stresses the liver, rots the teeth, allows you to eat massive amounts of calories while still leaving you hungry, contributes to high cholesterol, and it's the main cause of the US obesity crisis, aka 'metabolic syndrome', which is effectively the body's reaction to extremely excessive sugar intake...just awful.

The one exception is exercise. If you eat sugar in and around intense exercise your body will burn it for energy then and there or uses it to rebuild glycogen stores after, which is fine. It drink a post-gym shake with glucose and powdered oats in it, for example, to kickstart recovery.

I asked if it's evil, not the devil ;)
    Yep, all of what you've said ties in with what I've been reading. I think I was surprised at just HOW bad it is.
    So what are you subbing in for essentially all your carbs? I'd be ravenous all day if I couldn't get my carbs in.

I'm still eating fruit, and stuff with low levels of sugar, so I'm getting plenty of carbs :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Look into a macrobiotic diet, I've never felt better than after having those meals. It's a terribly addictive thing, better off to lower it if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement