Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gluten Free

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Is the diet that healthy? From what I have read, most people have suggested that we as a people should be eliminating grains entirely from our diet (where gluten is most prevalent) as they are nutritionally useless and are more harmful than good. Is this true and are starches an ok supplement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

William F wrote: »
    Is the diet that healthy? From what I have read, most people have suggested that we as a people should be eliminating grains entirely from our diet (where gluten is most prevalent) as they are nutritionally useless and are more harmful than good. Is this true and are starches an ok supplement?

Its a load of crap. Unless you are celiac, have crohn's etc they are completely fine, eat away.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

There's no need to eliminate gluten whatsoever from your diet unless you are a coeliac or gluten intolerant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Alexis Sanchez2

Gluten has been proven to be harmful to the general population in countless scientific studies. I'll post the links.

Gluten has been proven to be harmful to the general population in countless scientific studies. I'll post the links.

nah, thats ok. Posting links without baseline knowledge or without a grounding in the literature is pretty pointless. It leads to cherry picking studies and not fully understanding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 stickyfinger

Agree with fungie, there is no point in giving up gluten unless you have an allergy or intolerance. Also most gluten free foods have increased amounts of sugar and fat in order to compensate for the lack of gluten so you are probably ending up with a worse diet by buying gluten free when it's not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Also most gluten free processed foods have increased amounts of sugar and fat in order to compensate for the lack of gluten
    Fixed.

The main benefit I find from going gluten free every now and again is that I tend to make much better food choices. Have noticed this is universal amongst friends who also try.

Also the modern variant of wheat is a whole lot different to what we ate even 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I have heard so many idiots telling me they have gone gluten free coz they were allergic to gluten

Less than 1% of people are allergic to gluten

But 100% of stupid people are allergic to gluten

Its a grest source of fibre helps give a healthy gut, reducing cancer and is a healthy source of carbs. Grains also feed beneficial gut bacteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

There's a great blog post here on gluten by the always excellent Danny Lennon - well worth a read
    http://sigmanutrition.com/gluten-revisited-can-i-eat-that-sandwich/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

househero wrote: »
    I have heard so many idiots telling me they have gone gluten free coz they were allergic to gluten

Less than 1% of people are allergic to gluten

But 100% of stupid people are allergic to gluten

Its a grest source of fibre helps give a healthy gut, reducing cancer and is a healthy source of carbs. Grains also feed beneficial gut bacteria.

Many people are intolerant to gluten. I'm not coeliac but there are a lot of people like me who suffer from IBS and eating gluten would make your life hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I've been diagnosed a coeliac for 3 years.

I've talked to numerous people who are gluten intolerant and eliminating gluten has improved their life immeasurably.

However the people who decide to go gluten-free as a fad really rot my snot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

Gluten intolerance was never intended to be a lifestyle choice. It is the name given to a severe medical condition that results in levels of pain and discomfort ranging from mild to excruciating.
    If someone tells me they are on a gluten free diet I always ask them when they were diagnosed as Coeliac or gluten intolerant or if they have had a scope down their throat and found their Villi were abnormally short. If they haven't I tell them they are wasting their time as there are no benefits to refraining from gluten.
    There is nothing healthier about refraining from eating gluten free products. Gluten is not an E Number, an additive, a preservative or flavouring.
    If anything going 'gluten free' as a lifestyle choice merely restricts your choice of foods somewhat.

My wife has just got out of bed today after two days of excruciating abdominal pains, cramps and spasms that left her in tears.
    She didn't eat anything containing gluten. We pinpointed it down to a casual error resulting in a minor cross-contamination.
    If people want a healthier choice of foods speak to a nutritionist just don't think refraining from gluten will benefit you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gluten is fine for the vast majority, and the vast majority of people that think they have a problem with it. Blind case studies clearly show it's in those peoples heads and belittles people with these issues for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Gluten is proven harmful effects in humans. It contains anti nutrients and causes immune responses due lectins. There is growing evidence that it causes parkinson's diseases and other diseases similarly caused by the immune system. These are long term effects. You can't show these effects in short term studies.

A load of vitamins and nutrients are anti nutrients to other vitamins and minerals. If you can't show the effects then where is the evidence coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I find it nearly impossible to believe that the staple food of Europe, which kept our ancestors alive for millennia, is actually a dietary poison now.

Sure enough, back in simpler times (when "bread" was a synonym for "food" or even "money") they were just using local wheat: not - (as now) - high-gluten imported Canadian wheat with EXTRA gluten added to strengthen the dough so it can rise when swiftly and tastelessly accelerated in a factory process.

And yes, if you were a Paleo Person for real, you most certainly would have found that the sweet, nutrient-dense seeds of the graminiae were sustaining and filling and healthy. They do have to be smashed up between two stones and baked over a fire, but then they are good eating.

Sit easy: bread is not poison unless you are coeliac or allergic, and most people aren't.

If worried, make your own bread out of local cereals and allow plenty of time for a slow rise. [the fermentation makes it more digestible, too]

Bon appétit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gluten is proven harmful effects in humans. It contains anti nutrients and causes immune responses due lectins. There is growing evidence that it causes parkinson's diseases and other diseases similarly caused by the immune system. These are long term effects. You can't show these effects in short term studies.

Regardless of whether long term use affects you or not, the current short term intolerance felt by people is nonsense, which is the point. If these people eat something they think has gluten in it suddenly they have headaches and all sorts, when in fact it is all mental as they ate no gluten. Just a scare that everybody goes along with and a placebo. Easy to scare people, hard to unscare them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

clanpiper wrote: »
    Gluten intolerance was never intended to be a lifestyle choice. It is the name given to a severe medical condition that results in levels of pain and discomfort ranging from mild to excruciating.
    If someone tells me they are on a gluten free diet I always ask them when they were diagnosed as Coeliac or gluten intolerant or if they have had a scope down their throat and found their Villi were abnormally short. If they haven't I tell them they are wasting their time as there are no benefits to refraining from gluten.

Well apart from not getting horrible nausea, crippling cramps, and the other side effects. Just because I can't be arsed having a yoke sent down my throat doesn't mean it doesnt make me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

My wife had multiple test for gluten allergy, including endoscopy, and all came up negative. however, there is no denying that after going gluten free her quality of life has improved, as she had digestion and gall bladder issues that have dramatically subsided since.

So perhaps the 1% stat is for a particular category of gluten related illness, but there could be a much higher percentage who are legitimately intolerant, and as a result much better off without gluten.

Its easy to dismiss if you have no issues with it yourself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 The Lazy Raptor

Regardless of whether long term use affects you or not, the current short term intolerance felt by people is nonsense, which is the point. If these people eat something they think has gluten in it suddenly they have headaches and all sorts, when in fact it is all mental as they ate no gluten. Just a scare that everybody goes along with and a placebo. Easy to scare people, hard to unscare them.

The skeletons of hunter gathered who lived side by side with farmers has consistently shown that hunter gatherers were more healthy. They were bigger, had stronger skeletons and even showe'd almost no signs of tooth decay. The evidence against grains, gluten being amongst the worst, is very hard to deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

tails_naf wrote:
    My wife had multiple test for gluten allergy, including endoscopy, and all came up negative. however, there is no denying that after going gluten free her quality of life has improved, as she had digestion and gall bladder issues that have dramatically subsided since.

Did you ever think that it's not the Gluten but something that generally goes along with Gluten that is the intolerance? Or that when you avoided Gluten you ate much healthier?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Did you ever think that it's not the Gluten but something that generally goes along with Gluten that is the intolerance? Or that when you avoided Gluten you ate much healthier?

Actually yes, that has crossed my mind many times. GF foods usually are less mass produced, and as a result less junk (food additives, etc). Either way, it works. It would be great to know if this is the case, if there was a way to find out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

The skeletons of hunter gathered who lived side by side with farmers has consistently shown that hunter gatherers were more healthy. They were bigger, had stronger skeletons and even showe'd almost no signs of tooth decay. The evidence against grains, gluten being amongst the worst, is very hard to deny.

Yes it is, farming is a lot less demanding than a hunter gather lifestyle allowing "less healthy" people to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I feel much better when I don't eat wheat, I don't care if that makes me stupid, or fashionable. I am not in pain any more that's enough for me. I don't think I am allergic to gluten because I eat oats, I think I have a sensitivity to wheat.

For most people, you don't need to eliminate gluten or other grains. Bread and wheat is not really very nutritious, its like cake fine in moderation but don't fool yourself its a healthy food, its junk. There are much healthier grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I am the exact same as jam_mac_jam above.

I have IBS and as a result, cut out wheat as best I can because I know it effects my symptoms. I have a friend who is an extreme coeliac and our symptoms when eating wheat are extremely different- the tiniest cross contamination with gluten and my friend is head over a toilet bowl and bed ridden sick for days where for me, a bowl of wholegrain pasta leaves me bloated for 2/3 days, tired and generally uncomfortable but never sick.

I gave up bread entirely over two years ago. I wouldn't have eaten it any more than the normal person in the first place (maybe a slice of toast for breakfast or a sandwich for lunch) and I lost over a stone within 3 months as a result. I don't eat that many gluten free products because as someone already said, they are packed with sugars and god knows what else- I mean, some of the breads keep for like 6 months?! Toxic! I do eat the gluten free corn pasta from Aldi though because it's cheap and doesn't go gloopy like other gf pastas.

I find living a gf diet is fairly easy when you're used to preparing meals from scratch. A lot of processed foods and sauce packets eg Knorr sachets are wheat based so some people may find it difficult to adapt at the start. I wouldn't recommend a gluten free diet for losing weight or a better lifestyle if you're planning on replacing everything with gluten/wheat with a gf processed version though! I mean eating a 6 pack of gf butterfly buns as opposed to a 6 pack of normal buns is going to have the same effect on your waist line!! Although, Super Valu do a great range of homemade gf cakes and biccies if you want to treat yourself :)

I do think it's a healthier lifestyle and even my mum says she wouldn't feel as bloated when she replaces wholegrain pasta with gf pasta. It annoys me when people say things like "oh you shouldn't cut out gluten unless you have to" or people who shrug it off as a fad diet.There definitely doesn't need to be a medical reason for doing so. Many people can't stomach wheat or gluten and this doesn't necessarily mean they have a serious medical condition. It's the same principle as people who just can't stomach spicy foods or tea/coffee.. A colleague of mine suffered heavy bloating and weight gain from eating dairy even though tests for intolerance came back negative! She cuts it out entirely and as a result lives more comfortably. Completely agree with someone above who said they aren't prepared to under-go scopes etc for someone to tell them they are intolerant to wheat. My doctor told me that in order to test for an intolerance I would need to eat as much wheat as possible for 6 weeks and then assess the effects- eh noooo.. Not prepared to put myself through 6 weeks of feeling like a blow fish to confirm my relationship with wheat!

There's a great book you can buy in Easons- it's called Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis and it's a great starting point for those who may think that wheat especially is having an effect on you. Would definitely recommend it :)

Boosroles wrote: »
    The skeletons still remain and time and time again thee hunter gatherer skeletons prove that the hunnter gatherers were significantly healthier.

What was the average lifespan of a hunter gatherer again?

Boosroles wrote: »
    The average lifespan assuming no birth deaths or injuries was about 70 I believe.

older than expected. Still, gluten is fine unless you have certain diagnosed medical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nonsense. Farming allowed greater age, which results in degenerating health and tooth decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nibz2015

clanpiper wrote: »
    There is nothing healthier about refraining from eating gluten free products. Gluten is not an E Number, an additive, a preservative or flavouring.
    If anything going 'gluten free' as a lifestyle choice merely restricts your choice of foods somewhat.

My wife has just got out of bed today after two days of excruciating abdominal pains, cramps and spasms that left her in tears.
    She didn't eat anything containing gluten. We pinpointed it down to a casual error resulting in a minor cross-contamination.
    If people want a healthier choice of foods speak to a nutritionist just don't think refraining from gluten will benefit you.

This is something that really really frustrated me when I was first became diagnosed as a Coeliac as it became more noticeable to me that people were just eating the GF food for 'clean eating' and 'healthy eating'...
    its still a bugger and even a girl I was in college with questioned me (shes also diagnosed coeliac) why I was saying seeing 'Gluten Free' on the bulmers bottle was the bane of my life!
    When i had the blood test done & it came back positive i was told to cut out gluten and start on the GF diet but then a few days later the person doing the scope to confirm told me to start eating gluten again for at least 4-6 weeks so it'd be a true result and it was the worst 4/5 weeks of my entire life spending hours upon hours in the bathroom... (currently been glutened so reliving that atm).
    It's an awful pet hate of mine especially since its defiantly not a healthy diet of any sort so I was delighted to see your post on this topic and I'm not alone envious of these people who can go on the 'fad diet' and come off it whenever they please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The hunter gatherer of 10,000 years ago wouldn't be eating the same meat that we have today. Our meat has been bred to be more profitable for the supply chain which results in less nutritious for the consumer, fact.

The same is true with wheat products. Since bouncier dough demands a higher price the wheat we use is not what the ancestors of europe would have consumed. Gluten in modern wheat is 8 times higher than ancient or spelt wheat.

Most people who are intolerant of modern wheat products are not gluten intolerant when gluten is at normal natural '10,000 years ago' levels. They are intolerant at the extremely high, un-natural levels that we have today.

I fall into this category myself, proof is in the results. If I eat 4 slices of bouncy modern bread today I will be ill tonight. If I eat 4 slices of spelt bread I will be fine.

Deny this all you want, I see & feel the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ch750536 wrote: »
    The hunter gatherer of 10,000 years ago wouldn't be eating the same meat that we have today. Our meat has been bred to be more profitable for the supply chain which results in less nutritious for the consumer, fact.

The same is true with wheat products. Since bouncier dough demands a higher price the wheat we use is not what the ancestors of europe would have consumed. Gluten in modern wheat is 8 times higher than ancient or spelt wheat.

Most people who are intolerant of modern wheat products are not gluten intolerant when gluten is at normal natural '10,000 years ago' levels. They are intolerant at the extremely high, un-natural levels that we have today.

I fall into this category myself, proof is in the results. If I eat 4 slices of bouncy modern bread today I will be ill tonight. If I eat 4 slices of spelt bread I will be fine.

Deny this all you want, I see & feel the results.

The hunter gather of 10,000 years ago would also probably be dead before he hits 30. We have evolved a lot since then and our guts have similarly changed. Just because someone did something a long time ago under different circumstances doesn't mean its directly applicable to modern humans. Anecdotal evidence isn't real evidence, no matter how great you may or may not feel after a sandwich.

I'd be interested to see why modern irish beef is less nutritious than cattle 10k years ago.

• Advertisement

The hunter gather of 10,000 years ago would also probably be dead before he hits 30. We have evolved a lot since then and our guts have similarly changed. Just because someone did something a long time ago under different circumstances doesn't mean its directly applicable to modern humans. Anecdotal evidence isn't real evidence, no matter how great you may or may not feel after a sandwich.

I'd be interested to see why modern irish beef is less nutritious than cattle 10k years ago.

I'm not sure if it's here or just in the US but I read recently that meat is now fortified with things like B12 due to the lowering quality and processing. However everything you read is US centric so.

Advertisement