Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

whiz wrote:
    The picture attached shows some of the Gluten Free options in McDonalds in Lisbon in Portugal. McDonalds in Spain have similar options. Has the coeliac association of Ireland ever approached McDonalds etc to ask them could they ever launch similar offers in their large outlets here ?

There was a petition, I think it was on this thread not 100% on that, that someone set up to get McDonald's to bring in the gluten free here too, haven't checked to see how it's getting on but if I can find the link I'll check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

There was a petition, I think it was on this thread not 100% on that, that someone set up to get McDonald's to bring in the gluten free here too, haven't checked to see how it's getting on but if I can find the link I'll check

There was a separate thread also, but I linked to it here

Less than 1000 votes.. doesn't really say much for the 1/100th of the population with Coeliac Disease, let alone those on GF diets for other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm Coeliac. Never knew about the petition. I wouldn't eat there anyway. I'm over McDonald's now since the childer grew up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There was a separate thread also, but I linked to it here

Less than 1000 votes.. doesn't really say much for the 1/100th of the population with Coeliac Disease, let alone those on GF diets for other reasons.

Did the 0.01% of the population that has coeliac disease see the petition though?

Jellybaby1 wrote:
    I'm Coeliac. Never knew about the petition. I wouldn't eat there anyway. I'm over McDonald's now since the childer grew up!

Ah, but be nice to have the choice tho. Emergency for example ;)

• Advertisement

Did the 0.01% of the population that has coeliac disease see the petition though?

Unlikely. I shared far and wide, can't speak for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

To be honest, its McDonalds.....why bother when there are far nicer fast food places. Super Nachos in Captain Americas..........drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

I think online petitions are useless, I think if coeliacs are reading this thread, and they want to do something, then the best way to approach this in my opinion is as follows:

1. Emailing McDonalds ( Info@ie.mcd.com) to request can they make more gluten free options available e.g. gluten free buns etc. In addition to gluten free buns, they offer gluten free soups, gf salads etc in Europe.

2. Emailing the Coeliac Association of Ireland (info@coeliac.ie) and asking could they approach McDonalds and Burger King , asking them could they increase the gluten free options (buns, soups etc) to mirror what is in Spain / Portugal etc.

I think people need to do the above. In the long run we are consumers and the more options that are available to us the better ðŸ‘. There is very few restaurants outlets that cater for coeliacs, which is not ideal ☹️ and hopefully these firms could make money on it.

whiz wrote: »
    I think online petitions are useless, I think if coeliacs are reading this thread, and they want to do something, then the best way to approach this in my opinion is as follows:

1. Emailing McDonalds ( Info@ie.mcd.com) to request can they make more gluten free options available e.g. gluten free buns etc. In addition to gluten free buns, they offer gluten free soups, gf salads etc in Europe.

2. Emailing the Coeliac Association of Ireland (info@coeliac.ie) and asking could they approach McDonalds and Burger King , asking them could they increase the gluten free options (buns, soups etc) to mirror what is in Spain / Portugal etc.

I think people need to do the above. In the long run we are consumers and the more options that are available to us the better ðŸ‘. There is very few restaurants outlets that cater for coeliacs, which is not ideal ☹️ and hopefully these firms could make money on it.

My point was that less than a 1000 votes/signatures on a petition wasn't representative of anything except for maybe the low visibility of the petition amongst the target audience.

While I'm sceptical of the value of a lot of petitions, they do at least show a volume of people who share an opinion and that would translate to McDonalds in this case as a potential customer base that they might be able to reach. If they don't do anything, it's probably because there wouldn't be enough return for the cost/effort.

I disagree if you look at Lisbon the city there only has a population less than 1 million people ....McDonalds in that city are offering a lot more gf options there than in Dublin - which has a slightly bigger population

• Advertisement

I disagree if you look at Lisbon the city there only has a population less than 1 million people ....McDonalds in that city are offering a lot more gf options there than in Dublin - which has a slightly bigger population

Disagree with what?

Disagree with what?

You suggested they may not be able to make a return on introducing gf products....however Dublin is a slightly bigger city than Lisbon, thus I would think they would make a return if they are doing so in Lisbon etc

You suggested they may not be able to make a return on introducing gf products....however Dublin is a slightly bigger city than Lisbon, thus I would think they would make a return if they are doing so in Lisbon etc

I didn't say there isn't a return to be had. I said it's a reason they might not.

I have no idea if it is or not but if they believed it would make them a lot more money, they would do it.

Anyway as a coeliac I think if we want nationwide outlets (e.g. McDonalds) to stock gluten free products like they do in countries in Europe ....the best action is as follows :

The more options the better for us and hopefully the gluten free product market continues to grow for coeliac and non coeliacs....I have noticed in recent times a lot of non coeliacs preferring to eating gf food too

Forget about McDonalds. Would all Coeliacs please ask the Coeliac Society to contact The Happy Pear, as they have sod all to offer Coeliacs! If you are vegetarian, well and good, but they have no interest in anyone else! That makes me very unhappy!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Sorry to hear you cant find veggie stuff to suit that is GF Jellybaby. I usually manage with selection of salads and a fresh made soup. I must admit that lunch out is the worst option. I miss Bewleys all day brekkies with bacon, egg and tomatoe fryup.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Re McDonalds

Why do we have to make a big deal out of GF options in Ireland? surely the high rate of celiac in Celtic population is a given and add in to that the high number of children here.

I must confess to enjoying their coffee... just bring my own biscuit. And have threatened to bring a soft GF bundy and ask for a burger to be made up. They claim they will do that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Is there no filler in the burger patty itself? Usually cheap burgers have rusk as filler making them no-go for coeliacs

The patty etc is gf, only the bun isn't ....I think it be great if a chain like McDonalds offered a gf bun in some of their larger outlets in the country or in all of their outlets in Ireland.

The other thing is Burger King in Spain / Portugal etc offers gluten free burger meals with gf bun.

The only way I think we can get these outlets to offer these products is by us asking them to introduce them and also getting the Coeliac Association to approach them..

If McDonalds or Burger King introduce a gf bun in Ireland , their competitors might follow

As mentioned in the above post, I saw Burger King in Barcelona (Spain) had a gluten free burger meal and gluten free bun ( see pictures attached), that's probably down to McDonalds offering similar meals in the same country.

Thus if people are interested I think we should contact Burger King too (info@whopper.ie) about introducing similar meals here....I feel the more choice in gluten free items for celiacs and non celiacs, the better it is for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Are burger king and mcdonalds burger meat actually gf yeah? I've felt fairly dodgy after eating the burger king meat before, i assumed they use filler, most places seem to

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are burger king and mcdonalds burger meat actually gf yeah? I've felt fairly dodgy after eating the burger king meat before, i assumed they use filler, most places seem to

No I had the burgers in both chains in Spain / Portugal....I got no gluten reaction and I would be very sensitive to gluten

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No I had the burgers in both chains in Spain / Portugal....I got no gluten reaction and I would be very sensitive to gluten

You're a star. Had the quarter pounder with cheese twice from MCD sans bun now and all good.
    Still afraid to try burger king again but at least there is mcd! thanks!

Hi Guys, I was looking at these products on the SuperValu website, now it's says they are gluten free but has anybody ever tried them and if so did you get zero gluten reaction ?

SuperValu Ketchup
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Chilli
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Curry
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Sweet & Sour
    SuperValu Ethnic Tikka Masala
    SuperValu Mild Korma
    SuperValu Mayonnaise

List of products here
    https://supervalu.ie/real-food/free-from/gluten-free-supervalu-products

Any response appreciated

I haven't tried any of those SV foods. But wouldn't it be nice if there was a computer screen in every supermarket which could be used to find GF food? In fact it would help to find any product in the supermarket you are looking for. I was searching for GF Buckwheat flour recently, if I'd had a screen to search for it I could have saved myself the time of wandering up and down aisles looking for something that wasn't there! Something akin to the screen in the FAS offices for searching for jobs! I'd say it is technologically very possible to do. As for asking staff, some of the products I have asked for the staff never heard of.

Hi Guys, I was looking at these products on the SuperValu website, now it's says they are gluten free but has anybody ever tried them and if so did you get zero gluten reaction ?

SuperValu Ketchup
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Chilli
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Curry
    SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Sweet & Sour
    SuperValu Ethnic Tikka Masala
    SuperValu Mild Korma
    SuperValu Mayonnaise

List of products here
    https://supervalu.ie/real-food/free-from/gluten-free-supervalu-products

Any response appreciated

The site says they're all listed in the CSI list. If they are, you can be fairly sure they're safe. No point going by the 'reactions' of other people, as everyone is different and 'no reaction' does not necessarily mean 'no damage'.

Just going by the above list, you might find the below useful:

Chef Ketchup is GF.
    Pataks Indian range is GF.
    Thai Gold range is GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

whiz wrote:
    SuperValu Ketchup SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Chilli SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Curry SuperValu Ethnic Sauce Sweet & Sour SuperValu Ethnic Tikka Masala SuperValu Mild Korma SuperValu Mayonnaise

Nephew is GF and he only uses the ketchup and mayo from SuperValu, loves them and never gets a reaction. Can't vouch for the other sauces as he wouldn't eat them

I was sure heinz is gf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

cobham wrote: »
    Re McDonalds

Why do we have to make a big deal out of GF options in Ireland? surely the high rate of celiac in Celtic population is a given and add in to that the high number of children here.

I must confess to enjoying their coffee... just bring my own biscuit. And have threatened to bring a soft GF bundy and ask for a burger to be made up. They claim they will do that for you

I tried that once and they said they can,t do that but they could have changed since then. I also tried it in Supermacs and they were the same. Needless to say I don't eat there anymore.
    Mckenzies is great but I wish they offered more than just chicken burgers or baps.

Has anyone here tried the new gf range of dinners from Tesco? They look lovely but my local one does not stock them unfortunately and the nearest Tesco that does is over an hour away so I have not tried them yet. Could order online I suppose.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Is this available in Ireland yet, or just for catering companies?:

https://www.caterite.co.uk/55276-bisto-gravy-granules-gluten-free/

I haven't tasted Bisto in almost 20 years. What wouldn't I give to find a pack of it gluten free!

Advertisement