Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protein shake side affects

Options
  • 21-03-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi folks, hope this is the right thread. Bought a tub of maxi cyclone to aid my workouts. It has creatine added to it.

Have been feeling quite depressed since around the time I started using it. Also stressed to the point where I blow/ can't seem to calmly deal with things. I'm 99% sure its this that's causing it.

Anyone else get the same symptoms? If so what type if protein fo u use to supplement instead?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Atola wrote: »
    Hi folks, hope this is the right thread. Bought a tub of maxi cyclone to aid my workouts. It has creatine added to it.

Have been feeling quite depressed since around the time I started using it. Also stressed to the point where I blow/ can't seem to calmly deal with things. I'm 99% sure its this that's causing it.

Anyone else get the same symptoms? If so what type if protein fo u use to supplement instead?

It is extremely unlikely that this product is causing your recent health issues. In fact it has glutamine which has actually been shown to reduce anxiety.

I would visit your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the obvious answer is to just stop.
    if you feel you need to supplement ( and I would suggest you research exactly why you are supplementing ) then buy the products individually and try each one to see what might be causing it.

I find that if I work my legs really hard, about 2 days later I feel a bit down and totally uninterested in pretty much everything, included working out. I think its just the DOM getting to me really but I dont get it from DOMs anywhere else.

I think hormones have a huge part to play and I suspect something in your supplment is causing your hormones to go off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Atola

conzy wrote: »
    It is extremely unlikely that this product is causing your recent health issues. In fact it has glutamine which has actually been shown to reduce anxiety.

I would visit your GP

I am fairly certain and my other half has pointed out quite a few occasions after drinking this that my mood has changed totally.

One time i drank some and she went out for 15mins and came back to a totally different mood in me. I researched online and other people have the same problems. I am maybe more suceptable with a family history of depression.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    the obvious answer is to just stop.
    if you feel you need to supplement ( and I would suggest you research exactly why you are supplementing ) then buy the products individually and try each one to see what might be causing it.

I find that if I work my legs really hard, about 2 days later I feel a bit down and totally uninterested in pretty much everything, included working out. I think its just the DOM getting to me really but I dont get it from DOMs anywhere else.

I think hormones have a huge part to play and I suspect something in your supplment is causing your hormones to go off a bit.

Hi, I have noticed that I don't get sore until nearly exactly 24 hours after exercise. Would that be age related?

I'm trying to get fit for my wedding so am pushing quite hard and feel the need to supplement.

Thanks for the replies btw

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Hi, I have noticed that I don't get sore until nearly exactly 24 hours after exercise. Would that be age related?

I hope not!

24 hours later for me the pain on movement sets in, peaking at 36-48 hours.

In regard to the supplements: correlation does not equal causation.
    However, come off the supplements and go see a doc for the depression.

I know the gym does weird things to my mood. I'm high as a kite after sometimes, supplements or not, it's just the hormones from the workout I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Few options:

1) Ditch the protein you're taking and try another fairly widely used protein.

2) Track your food intake and see how much protein you get on board from food and see if you need a supplement.

People take some of these supplements because they're training and think they are a requirement. Yes, they're an easy way of getting extra protein but they're a supplement to what you get from food.

But if you think what you're taking now is the problem, bin it now.

I haven't had a high for 2 weeks now.

Yea the cyclone protein is ditched. The money I paid for it isn't worth it. My diet isn't great so I do need to supplement vitamins etc

Has no one else experienced this?

My other problem us that I keep getting ill. I've had the flu more times this year than the 2 previous years put together. Was off work for a week with a flu.I want to train so much but can't!

If your diet isn't great, then work on that rather than looking for an array of supplements to get some nutrients.

That alone would likely have significant impacts.

What you eat and drink will have a bigger impact on your body than working out so if you want to get in shape for your wedding, sort your diet out.

Post up a typical day's food and people will be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Has no one else experienced this?

I've used Cyclone for training in bulking periods over 2 years and I've never had these kind of issues. I actually get great gains and strength boosts. While I get these effects, that doesn't mean it's not something that is affecting you badly.

Everyone is different.

The advice given here has been pretty good consistent - Try different things and possibly visit a GP if it continues.

Your diet could be a big part of it too. As someone noted, post it.

• Advertisement

Post up a typical day's food and people will be able to help

OK yesterday I had 2 weetabix with some cashu nuts + pint of waterfor breakfast, semi skimmed milk.

Nothing til lunch, 3 eggs scrambled, 50/50 bread and few slices cheese

Cup of coffee no sugar

Pints of water in between

Dinner was steak burger in a wholemeal bap with side salad tomatoes and sweet potatoes chips

Dark chocolate and 2/3rds a bottle of red wine later watching a movie

I'll do a weekday when I get time

OK so today again same breakfast with a pint water and berocca,

tea break cup of tea no sugar, 2 belvita plain or nut wholegrain biscuits

pasta salad for lunch, 2 wholegrain rolls with cheese no butter or mayo, an orange and a banana + tea no sugar

dinner 2nite is frozen fish fillets with breadcrums, sweet potato chips and a good amount of peas

probably try and get some weights in and then id have 2 slices of 50/50 bread with peanut butter and an apple or some grapes.

Sorry the fish wasnt breadcumb it was battered, realised once i got home and took it out of the freezer. Instead of the peanut butter i had 3 boiled eggs with some of the 50/50 bread and pint of water.

Looks a fairly carb-heavy diet yesterday alright. Weetabix for breakfast, pasta and two wholegrain rolls for lunch, couple of slices of bread in the evening.

There's scope for subbing in more protein options there.

For example, you could have a small tin of tuna as a snack instead of the bread. That will get you at least as much and probably more protein (26g) as one serving of a shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

conzy wrote: »

I would visit your GP

This...while I appreciate the benefits of diet and exercise for mood, I think that chasing this avenue as the expense of professional advice is foolish. Go to a GP and explain how you feel, its very common and there a lot of good treatments.

For example, you could have a small tin of tuna as a snack instead of the bread. That will get you at least as much and probably more protein (26g) as one serving of a shake.

Thanka Alf, any other ideas instead of tuna? the smell turns me off

This...while I appreciate the benefits of diet and exercise for mood, I think that chasing this avenue as the expense of professional advice is foolish. Go to a GP and explain how you feel, its very common and there a lot of good treatments.

Yea probably right. My main focus was on the wedding and looking my best. Ive had mood swings for the past 3 weeks and snapped at my kids a couple of times. Ive also been on the shake for 3 weeks and since i stopped it hasnt happened. My partner brought it to light at first.

Anyway less carbs, more protein and speech writing to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hey look, we are all cross when we are dieting. If you feel its more than that seek professional advice.

Hey look, we are all cross when we are dieting. If you feel its more than that seek professional advice.

OK point taken. Ill see how i go

• Advertisement

Thanka Alf, any other ideas instead of tuna? the smell turns me off

Meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's entirely normal.
    I am fairly certain and my other half has pointed out quite a few occasions after drinking this that my mood has changed totally.

One time i drank some and she went out for 15mins and came back to a totally different mood in me. I researched online and other people have the same problems. I am maybe more suceptable with a family history of depression.
    Where did see this referenced online. In relation to what exactly.

There really anything in the protein that isn't in a diet normally.
    The ingredients are:
    Sugar (glucose) (this is the main ingredient), milk proteins, creatine, glutamine, cocao powder, soya, calcium HMB, MCT, guar gum, sucralose, zinc gluconate, black pepper, chromium.

So unless sugar, milk, red meat, black etc have the same effect it's unlikey to be them. Soya, guar gum, sucralose are probably in lots of other food you eat.
    Do it happen with other foods at all?

HI Mellor,

Interesting discussion on it here:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1190381

Says that maybe the dehydration caused by creatine use may trigger mood swings, especially if ur not used to it, like i was.

(3xwdot)livestrong.com/article/529888-does-creatine-cause-depression/

"A 2007 study conducted by the Ness Ziona Mental Health Center reports the effects of creatine in treatment-resistant depressive and bipolar patients. The study involved eight depressive and two bipolar volunteers receiving 3 to 5 g of creatine monohydrate over a course of four weeks. One depressed participant improved significantly after a week of the study. The other seven depressive patients significantly improved while the two bipolar volunteers went into mania or hypomania. The researcher concluded that the preliminary study suggest creatine is beneficial for people suffering from depression, but may trigger mania in bipolar patients."

Abstract here (3xwdot)ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17988366

Some more side effects here:

(3xwdot)muscle-health-fitness.com/side-effects-of-creatine.html/

Mellor wrote: »
    That's entirely normal.

Where did see this referenced online. In relation to what exactly.

There really anything in the protein that isn't in a diet normally.
    The ingredients are:
    Sugar (glucose) (this is the main ingredient), milk proteins, creatine, glutamine, cocao powder, soya, calcium HMB, MCT, guar gum, sucralose, zinc gluconate, black pepper, chromium.

So unless sugar, milk, red meat, black etc have the same effect it's unlikey to be them. Soya, guar gum, sucralose are probably in lots of other food you eat.
    Do it happen with other foods at all?

I didnt as such see it referenced online. Some debate about it alright and conflicting views. As i said i might be a bit more prone to depression than most people. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any similar experiences with that brand of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I didnt as such see it referenced online. Some debate about it alright and conflicting views. As i said i might be a bit more prone to depression than most people. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any similar experiences with that brand of protein.

Actually there are very very few conflicting views about protein supplement and creatine usage that are based in actually legitimate studies. The overwhelming majority of credible studies are extremely positive about usage.The study you linked to was a single study that shows possible issues in 2 people - hardly significant data to be basis anything on.

Its just protein, as mellor said - unless a steak and a glass of milk makes you feel the same it is not the supplement that is causing your issues. You said you felt severe effects after 15 minutes - it would only just have begun to enter the bloodstream after that time so any physical effects would be both minimal and not hormone related.

Are you exercising more, changing eating amounts/times etc? Those would have more of an actual effect on you.

Yes getting more cardio and increasing weights gradually. Havent had the flu for a good few weeks now so hopefully can get a good run. Concentrating on having a better diet and improving week on week. Eating times are the same 4 times a day.

Tried the creatine shake again as an experiment and no negative effects this time so maybe just a change getting used to it. Creatine was the only ingredient I found online linked to depression and the mayo clinic says about bi-polar disorder.

It also references caffeine usage with creatine as "adverse effects" but more research required.

"Avoid in people with impaired kidney function, dehydration, or bipolar disorder. Avoid in combination with ephedra. Avoid with known allergy or sensitivity to creatine. "

Yes getting more cardio and increasing weights gradually. Havent had the flu for a good few weeks now so hopefully can get a good run. Concentrating on having a better diet and improving week on week. Eating times are the same 4 times a day.

Tried the creatine shake again as an experiment and no negative effects this time so maybe just a change getting used to it. Creatine was the only ingredient I found online linked to depression and the mayo clinic says about bi-polar disorder.

It also references caffeine usage with creatine as "adverse effects" but more research required.

"Avoid in people with impaired kidney function, dehydration, or bipolar disorder. Avoid in combination with ephedra. Avoid with known allergy or sensitivity to creatine. "

That study is very very shaky so i wouldn't take it as gospel - creatine is a natural substance that most people injest on a regular basis -its used to create atp which is a foundation of how your muscles work.

Exercise in general though will result in hormone changes, usually for the better. Being hungry on the other hand can result in mood changes etc until you adjust. Creatine and caffeine are supposed to negate each other, but if i remember right that was also not confirmed.

If you are feeling stressed and depressed have you spoke to a professional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

That study is very very shaky so i wouldn't take it as gospel - creatine is a natural substance that most people injest on a regular basis -its used to create atp which is a foundation of how your muscles work.

It's never taken to the levels of supplementation though. We get it through red meat but very little.

Still it is regarded as one of the safest supplements and is definitely the most highly studied. Has a tonne of benefits!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    It's never taken to the levels of supplementation though. We get it through red meat but very little.

Still it is regarded as one of the safest supplements and is definitely the most highly studied. Has a tonne of benefits!

we get about 1g on average (but what is average anyway) - most supplements recommend 3-5g. I take about 30 when i supplement it though and have not noticed any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

we get about 1g on average (but what is average anyway) - most supplements recommend 3-5g. I take about 30 when i supplement it though and have not noticed any issues.

30g per day long term!? Seems excessive when the recommended is 5g. I even think I'm pushing it taking 10g

Advertisement