Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corrib Logboats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 anglingcharts

You'll also find some more details of the Carrowmoreknock Boat in the Corrib wrecks section on my website.

wwx.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks/thecarrowmoreknockboat.html

Naturally the link wont work.......

Anglingcharts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

http://www.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks/thecarrowmoreknockboat.html
    Impressive work...as usual, it takes a dedicated individual to get stuff done in this country. I'm not particularly berating the relevant agencies, they tend to be restricted by funding and regulations etc. but if it were not for the efforts of certain individuals, artifacts such as these would remain at the bottom of our lakes.
    Make no mistake, these finds are of European if not global importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dublinviking

great video. Is there a place where we can see the cargo? Or at least a description of it?

They will, I think, be covered in a special feature in this months "Current Archaeology". Several papers, including yesterdays UK Times have run articles, mainly rather inaccurate and with the wrong photos, however the details carried by these publications are as follows.

3 x Battle Axes - now on display in the national Museum
    1 x Work Axe
    2 x Spear Heads (Darts)
    1 x large flat shaped piece of pink sandstone
    1 x fossil bearing rock

The fossil bearing rock I knew nothing about, and I've yet to hear from the UAU about it.

Many published articles, in fact the majority, have run with a picture of the Rinnaknock boat, a small 9ft single man boat in poor condition, to accompany their description of the Carrowmoreknock Boat or the Annaghkeen Boat. I'm patiently waiting for one to get it right !

AnglingCharts

I'm patiently waiting for one to get it right !

AnglingCharts
    ..you may be waiting a while for that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Abstract from an article on the Corrib boats in Current Archaeology.
    http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/the-logboats-in-the-lake.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

slowburner wrote: »
    I fail to see the value of a newspaper report from eight years ago.
    There is no question that the NMI was under-resourced then, and is probably even more so now.
    It is not as if the staff of the museum wantonly and maliciously set out to ensure that objects are stored in poor circumstances, inaccessible and hidden away. The museum is duty bound to accept all archaeological material found during excavation and they have been doing so for 200 years - that's a whole heap of material - close to 4 million objects and rising! They are bound by law to store material and that is the primary reason why objects are slow to show up in regional museums. Furthermore, accreditation criteria are particularly strict for decentralised museums and the funds necessary to fulfill those requirements (storage conditions, archiving, conservation methodologies etc.) can be prohibitively expensive - especially in these austere times.

The most up to date report recognises the knowledge and expertise of the museum's curatorial staff and indeed anyone who has had reasons to research collections will attest to that. Equally, anyone who has tried to pick their way through the antiquated indexing systems will know that it is seriously in need of an overhaul.

The good news is that it seems that the museum's shortcomings are about to be mitigated somewhat as funding will become available through a shared €21 million fund for digitisation and outreach and €30 million towards a shared off-site storage facility.

Sorry for the late reply here ,but could you kindly point me in the direction of any newer reports please?:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

davycc wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply here ,but could you kindly point me in the direction of any newer reports please?:)

This thread is about the Corrib boats.

I've put some new images and information about the recently announced Lees 5 Boat onto my FB page - loughcorrib.charts. This vessel is at least as well preserved as the Carrowmoreknock boat (Viking axes), but is some 1400 years older. The objects found inside are probably unique in Irish archaeology in their level of preservation. I'm looking forward to seeing both the axe, and the oar exhibited - hopefully locally one day.

anglingcharts

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Nationwide had a piece about the Corrib logboats yesterday evening, starts around 2 minutes in. Great stuff from all involved!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Nationwide had a piece about the Corrib logboats yesterday evening, starts around 2 minutes in. Great stuff from all involved!

Excellent to see the finds. The early iron age axe is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

"Current Archaeology" article now available online in full. Very good read.

talk about the log boats by Karl Brady of the Underwater Archaeology Unit, Oughterard Courthouse next Thursday at 6:30pm

[URL="htthttps://www.facebook.com/WildTroutCapitalofEuropep://"]https://www.facebook.com/WildTroutCapitalofEurope[/URL]

Advertisement