Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

To fix the xbox 360 not connecting, you will need to visit your router IP address, the whole process is as follows...

Visit http://192.168.192.1/ via the url bar at the top of your browser or clicking on the link if its easier.

Enter admin as the user and as the password also

Go to Wireless in the top menu

On the left select Security

In the main section, make sure Wireless Security Mode is set to WPA-Personal

Change Authentication to WPA instead of WPA2 or WPA/WPA2 as the xbox does not support the WPA2 protocol and WPA is more secure than WEP

Enter a passphrase and re-enter it below, probably best to enter something you will remember that contains 10+ letters and digits unless you don't mind people piggybacking your wifi (and possibly stealing log in details via packet sniffing)

Hit Save - You will now have to re connect all devices to the new network with your new password, should be straight forward.

To turn on uPnP (A protocol that xbox live uses for some of its services) do the following:

Log into the IP address as above, go to Advanced in the top bar, turn on uPnP then hit save and viola.

Hope this all helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

Hi,

I got my Horizon TV on Thursday and after all the excitement I getting an issue with the sound disappearing intermittently. It's become so bad I can't watch TV anymore. I've been onto UPC support and was told to check my HDMI cable, I did this, I even changed my HDMI cable to one I know works. I even changed to a different HDMI port on my TV but the problem is still there. UPC then told me they would boos the signal andI should restart the box after 10 minutes. I did that and the problem still exists. I'll be back in touch with UPC first thing today.

Is anyone else getting this issue?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

knoxor wrote: »
    Hi,

I got my Horizon TV on Thursday and after all the excitement I getting an issue with the sound disappearing intermittently. It's become so bad I can't watch TV anymore. I've been onto UPC support and was told to check my HDMI cable, I did this, I even changed my HDMI cable to one I know works. I even changed to a different HDMI port on my TV but the problem is still there. UPC then told me they would boos the signal andI should restart the box after 10 minutes. I did that and the problem still exists. I'll be back in touch with UPC first thing today.

Yep. Turning it off and on again solves it temporarily but it comes back eventually. We can't pause/rewind etc without it happening. Absolute butt pain.

Let us know how you get on with them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dandysandy

Got the xbox problem sorted yesterday evening after calling customer support again. Had some problems with the tv itself last night and with scheduled programs not being recorded but hoping these problems are just glitches that will be ironed out as the trial goes forward.
    I am running into another problem now however with my desktop which keeps dropping the wireless connection (it was working fine until we changed the settings to wep to adapt for the xbox). Would anyone know if there is anything I need to change on the actual computer? I am running windows xp if that helps. I have tried the usual steps of disconnecting, reconnecting etc to no avail and infact even when I am connected its telling me I am not, if that makes sense. I fear if I call customer support again, they may blacklist me alltogether...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Try changing the wireless channel, I had constant dropouts at first but none since I did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

Still no Internet :(
    Stil no phone either after I went back to old router....

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Evilbart

iDann wrote: »
    Does anyone know any alternative to twonky for iPhone??

Mediaconnect seems good

Try changing the wireless channel, I had constant dropouts at first but none since I did that.

Having some dropouts myself any channel in particular should I change to or just pick any?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

knoxor wrote: »
    Hi,

I had that same issue too. If you go in to the Settings/Horizon TV HD+ box/Diagnostics/TV Signal you will see that the quality of signal is bouncing.

When I had the problem, and called UPC, I told them this, and they then sent a signal through to the box. I had to reboot, but since then, the signal quality has been constant and high, and my audio is just fine.

But, I have lost audio on my HD channels, except for TG4HD and RTE2HD.

I will be phoning again this morning to get that resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Anyone have any problems with YouTube. Can't seem to get any videos to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RQ2013 wrote: »

same, still no broadband either was told it would have been fixed as of first thing this morning

Yep,video cannot be displayed......on fone past 40mins to customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I managed to get my serviio DLNA server working with the Horizon box (for some types of content). It works a lot better than Twonky server, and even supports controls (like pause, fast forward and rewind) for some types of content (specifically AVI). Has better presentation options too (though I know they're customizable in Twonky). It also displays the TV meta-data (may be possible in Townky, but haven't seen the option).

Still not playing MP4 or MKV, but I'm wondering if I applied one of the device profiles to the Horizon box IP, could it transcode on the fly for the Horizon box? Not sure if my PC is beefy enough to transcode on the fly, but will give it a try, if I can find a profile that matches the Horizon boxes' limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So can we not use our own routers now? I use my own d-link one at the moment.

Sorry if its been answered in this thread. But I could not find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Evilbart wrote: »
    Having some dropouts myself any channel in particular should I change to or just pick any?

I usually go for one of the higher ones, I'm on channel 11 and its working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

My Horizon tip of the day...

Pressing and holding the 'up' button gives a different way of choosing another channel to watch while staying on a channel.

(Edit)
    In fact looking through the manual (now there's a new thing for me!) there's a few menu choices which require a longer press (2 secs) that give a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DutchDude

Evilbart wrote: »

I would recommend downloading the free tool "Inssider", which gives a good overview with channels are most frequency used by others in your environment.

You should pick the least busy one.

I wanted to post a screen shot and a link, to explain further, but as I am a newbie here, I am not allowed to (yet), but google is your friend.

Simon201 wrote: »

Pressing and holding the 'up' button gives a different way of choosing another channel to watch while staying on a channel.

Great find I can see myself using this a lot thanks for sharing

DutchDude wrote: »
    I would recommend downloading the free tool "Inssider", which gives a good overview with channels are most frequency used by others in your environment.

You should pick the least busy one.

I wanted to post a screen shot and a link, to explain further, but as I am a newbie here, I am not allowed to (yet), but google is your friend.

I will try that thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Can you please tell me how I'd do this. Having problems with internet dropping out. Thanks

• Advertisement

Can you please tell me how I'd do this. Having problems with internet dropping out. Thanks

Go to settings/home network settings/wi-if settings/wi-if channel
    Chose the channel you want and hit back and save settings

Upc are aware of issues with boxes with no fone/broadband etc,its an issue/conflict with MAC address .......horizon team working to get it resolved

Simon201 wrote: »

(Edit)
    In fact looking through the manual (now there's a new thing for me!) there's a few menu choices which require a longer press (2 secs) that give a different result.

Yeah just noticed when choosing a channel when in guide holding ok for a second or two rather than just pressing it will show the channel straight away rather than bringing you to a sub menu of view/info etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Got mine installed today, very happy! Box is a major improvement on the old silver + box

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Got the self install early this morning. All plugged in and welcome screen comes up...then nothing but snow. Broadband gone too. Rang UPC and they said the transfer had "error codes". They are aware of these problems with lots of boxes today. Told it'd be fixed between lunchtime & 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

surf board wrote: »
    Got the self install early this morning. All plugged in and welcome screen comes up...then nothing but snow. Broadband gone too. Rang UPC and they said the transfer had "error codes". They are aware of these problems with lots of boxes today. Told it'd be fixed between lunchtime & 4.
    Snow via HDMI doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

two absolute cowbys came over to install the box today saying my cable wasnt the right one thats wired through the apartment. Their other humdinger was they didnt even have the box with them and they would have to drive across the City to get it so called to check the cabling and low and behold I had the wrong one put in. Absolute joke they are. Their excuse for not coming back until next week was that they are contractors and wouldnt get paid by doing a recall the same week...

Onto UPC on on hold....

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Just had mine installed have to say so far no problems. The lads that done it couldn't be more helpful in the end it was right lads you can go now and let me play with it. Also 160MB download on wired connection sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Glad its working for you, I dont mind issues or waiting around but when two cowboys come in taking the piss and without a box in hand its joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Did the self-install now, everything seems to be working fine. Broadband speed has gone up to 50, and didn't have any problems connecting my PC and PS3.

The only problem is that I'm missing Sky Sports as was expected from the order confirmation I got.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement