Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Official Server

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Sure once I seen bland pretending to be a baby cow and I tried to lure him with wheat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Maybe BlandKitten is the disguise, maybe I really am a calf!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

We are everywhere :)
    Btw, speaking about server events, that survival one based off the hunger games could be awesome.
    Few teams of two several rounds depending on how long each take.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

So how many Factions will we have? Can people form splinter groups of existing factions? How many members to a faction?

Also, just to throw out some names for the two main ones:

Townies and Boggers/Culchies?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

How is the server going? I'm interested in joining up with my fellow Irish gits to mess around. I'm pretty new to minecraft but I'm not a massive eejit. :)

• Advertisement

teishen wrote: »
    How is the server going? I'm interested in joining up with my fellow Irish gits to mess around. I'm pretty new to minecraft but I'm not a massive eejit. :)

Not a massive eejit eh? Ah we'll get you down to our level soon enough! :pac:

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Not a massive eejit eh? Ah we'll get you down to our level soon enough! :pac:

We could hit him on the head a few times :p

So how many Factions will we have? Can people form splinter groups of existing factions? How many members to a faction?

Also, just to throw out some names for the two main ones:

Townies and Boggers/Culchies?

I'd imagine you'd want to be in a faction with people you talk to regularly , I.e. your friends on the server

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'd want to be in a faction with people you talk to regularly , I.e. your friends on the server

aye, but in that case basically everyone will want to be on the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

aye, but in that case basically everyone will want to be on the same one?

I very much doubt that.

People should be aloud to join which ever faction they want, and create whatever faction they want.

• Advertisement

Mak_United wrote: »
    I very much doubt that.

People should be aloud to join which ever faction they want, and create whatever faction they want.

And will a faction have to approve a new member?

elect a leader?

vote eejits out?

this will be awesome and confusing!

on another point, if a house has a gold block in the floor, and you take it, is it considered looting or griefing, or if you break through a wall into someone base, and loot, is it okay? Cause the way I've always played makes the voice in my head say "NAO!!! BAD NIM!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

And will a faction have to approve a new member?

elect a leader?

vote eejits out?

this will be awesome and confusing!

on another point, if a house has a gold block in the floor, and you take it, is it considered looting or griefing, or if you break through a wall into someone base, and loot, is it okay? Cause the way I've always played makes the voice in my head say "NAO!!! BAD NIM!!!"

No idea how it would work, but I say new members would have to be approved by current members.

Personally I don't see how it will work, I can see a lot of crying to mods when stuff is taken etc. "Oh, but I wasn't online and I couldn't defend it".

I say most people will stay in the safe zone, only going out to the mainland when no one is online to mine for diamonds etc, in which case they will head back to base before anyone is even on.

I honestly can't see base's being stacked with full of goodies either.

I know myself, I will go out eventually with my 'faction', build a nice ass base but that will probably be that, no one is going to leave diamonds etc lying around, they will have them in there inventory and go offline, use an ender chest to transfer them back to the safe zone or carry them to the safe zone when no one is on or around.

Will just be abit of fun really, I can see people getting a bow and a few arrows with there friends and going out for a mess hunting people with no risk of loosing anything other then a bow and maybe 64 arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mak_United wrote: »
    No idea how it would work, but I say new members would have to be approved by current members.

Personally I don't see how it will work, I can see a lot of crying to mods when stuff is taken etc. "Oh, but I wasn't online and I couldn't defend it".

I say most people will stay in the safe zone, only going out to the mainland when no one is online to mine for diamonds etc, in which case they will head back to base before anyone is even on.

I honestly can't see base's being stacked with full of goodies either.

I know myself, I will go out eventually with my 'faction', build a nice ass base but that will probably be that, no one is going to leave diamonds etc lying around, they will have them in there inventory and go offline, use an ender chest to transfer them back to the safe zone or carry them to the safe zone when no one is on or around.

Will just be abit of fun really, I can see people getting a bow and a few arrows with there friends and going out for a mess hunting people with no risk of loosing anything other then a bow and maybe 64 arrows.

Talk about being pessimistic. We have never tried this on boards before. Why not try something new for a change? It's just a map. If it doesn't work as planned we can simply take off the plugin and continue with the same map as survival... or start a new map again. I for one can't wait to get started on factions.

As for your view on enderchests. We will have to wait to see how the official plugin is adjusted to take them into consideration. If they don't do anything then we, as a community will discuss it. Like I have said in my other post, I would consider banning enderchests due to the ability to, effectively, remove values from the playing field. But like I said, if that problem arises then we will deal with it.

Now. To stem some confusion. Here is what I got from bobs tutorial that he gave me and xenon on the K1l server.

As a member of a faction, you have 10 points. It costs 2 points (I think) to /f claim land. When you claim a piece of land, that land becomes protected. ie Anyone outside of that faction cannot break blocks in that chunk. So in essence a faction on our server will be able to gain a several chunks between them. There is a limit on how many bases you can have... I think it is 10 chunks per player? Not sure on that, but it is a considerably large area.

If, for example, the faction is surround by a wall, in order to gain entry you must use tnt to blow a hole. Tnt is the only way to break a faction wall. (other than climbing over it with a ladder)

When you gain entry to the faction you must kill all members of the faction online before you can claim their land as your own. When you claim their land, you can then and only then gain access to their loot (chests are protected on faction land)

When you die you lose points. Points can go into negative numbers and if you don't have enough points you cannot claim or reclaim land.

Players are invited to factions by people already in them. Titles in factions can be assigned, ie creator, leader etc. Not 100% sure what is available.

I think we are going to limit the number of factions on the server to max 5. We don't want it to be the case where everyone goes off and makes their own faction.

Griefing of factions will not be a banable offence. Due to the idea of factions, griefing is the nature of the game. We could look into protecting the main faction buildings on each factions island. Perhaps we could implement world protect on those structures and make it so that tnt damage regens after 5 minutes. Not sure if that is possible but I think it might be. That way we can make the capitals nicer to look at and promote some sort of competition to see which faction has the lushest centre.

It would be cool if capitals are up for grabs... so in essence 1 faction could control all capitals perhaps leading to some allies being formed to de-throne the main faction.

If two factions are allies, PVP is turned off for members of those two factions... you don't have a right to build on their land though.

I think that is about all I can think of. For those of you talking about the map reset, it is going to be a good while yet, probably a month +. We need to, firstly, wait for the update, then wait for the plugins to be updated (because we will be waiting for the factions plugin to be updated we will be waiting longer than normal) and then we will need to make adjustments to the plugin to adjust it to our needs. Keep logging in to this server and contributing to what has been a good map.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭electronige

ya that was bland out for a walk :) . also their should be 3 wool in the chest it doesnt matter the colour if not musta forgot to put it in.
    delta36 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is really relevant to post up, but a villager randomly appeared in my (underground) house, walked down into my mines and disappeared. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Also, is this an animal free server? I have not for the life of me been able to find any, thought they usually spawned in bright areas? Been holding out for another block of wool so I can finally build a bed and move out of the cakehouse!

Edit: Another thought, if the server is going to end up being reset, could we have the 24 hours before the new server starts to destroy the old one? Could be fun, you know, give everyone a lighter, some TNT, see where the day takes us..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭electronige

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    When you gain entry to the faction you must kill all members of the faction online before you can claim their land as your own. When you claim their land, you can then and only then gain access to their loot (chests are protected on faction land)

A potential flaw with this:

If I were to gain access to a factions land when no one is online I could wait for a single person to log in. If I kill that person I can then loot everyone's chests, And claim the land as my own. It seems rather unbalanced that if I were to kill 1 player I could potentially gain access to multiple other players loot and eliminate an entire faction. If the faction has lets say 10 members, 9 of those will log in with no land or possessions through no fault of their own.

If specific raiding times were to be introduced then you can sort of remove this problem but then introduce a new one, Players will be almost required to be at their computers each day at a specific time which I know from experience can be rather annoying and is the main reason I don't play WoW anymore.

I am looking forward to this map but as the same time I would rather the flaws be worked out now rather than 2 weeks in when everyone is pissed off with each other and asking for the plugin to be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Can I be whitelisted please?

Username is Spoontron :D

If I were to gain access to a factions land when no one is online I could wait for a single person to log in. If I kill that person I can then loot everyone's chests, And claim the land as my own. It seems rather unbalanced that if I were to kill 1 player I could potentially gain access to multiple other players loot and eliminate an entire faction. If the faction has lets say 10 members, 9 of those will log in with no land or possessions through no fault of their own.

If specific raiding times were to be introduced then you can sort of remove this problem but then introduce a new one, Players will be almost required to be at their computers each day at a specific time which I know from experience can be rather annoying and is the main reason I don't play WoW anymore.

I am looking forward to this map but as the same time I would rather the flaws be worked out now rather than 2 weeks in when everyone is pissed off with each other and asking for the plugin to be removed.

Good Point , how about if you kill me , you only get to loot my stuff , no one else's ,

To gain a factions land you have to kill the majority of a faction within a certain time , say an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Gents, there's a simple solution to this problem. Make the map massive. Build your base underground. That way if you're found it's tough ****é

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Good Point , how about if you kill me , you only get to loot my stuff , no one else's ,

To gain a factions land you have to kill the majority of a faction within a certain time , say an hour

Unfortunately we are limited, to some extent, by what the plugin has unless someone wants to tackle the coding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

It does not quite work like that. Each faction member has between 10 and -10 power (that is the default number and can be changed). For every one power your faction has, you can claim one chunk. Every time a member dies, you lose a certain amount of power, the default is 2. You also gain one power every 5 minutes that you are on the server.

Now if you attack a faction that has 20 land and 40 power. You would need to get a total of 11 kills to reduce the amount of power to 18. Since the power of the faction is now two below the amount of land they have your faction can claim two of their chunks and only take the items from those two chunks. It would be impossible to get the items of the other 9 players as the max number of power that can be taken from one player is 20. Also, what are the chances of you being able to kill one player 10 times in a row?

I hope I explained the above well enough to show that specific raiding times are not necessary as to be effective, you need other players online not just one single player.

Once 1.3 is announced we must get together for a few days with the factions plugin and do a crash course. I am no good at writing guides for these things.

11 kills seems a bit excessive, it is possible for admins to change the amount of power lost to 4 per kill. Which would lower the amount of kills in that specific scenario from 11 to 6. Six kills is a lot easier to achieve if there is only 2-4 faction members online. We just need to tweak the settings of the plugin a bit for this to work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Jebus90, I saw the doors to your house was open and I locked your chests and furnaces and put your name on the signs. There was a lot of coal, stone etc. waiting to be stolen. When we are both on at the same time I can remove the signs for you and you can replace them. I am sure a mod could do this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

Thanks man that was awesome of ya. But I leave my house open with the furnaces unlocked in case people wandering by need to use em. The important chests are all locked anyway :p

Roorah wrote: »
    Thanks man that was awesome of ya. But I leave my house open with the furnaces unlocked in case people wandering by need to use em. The important chests are all locked anyway :p
    If only there more people like you :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Just a thought, but we can't make any maps of the upcoming server... you could spot other factions' stuff from orbit :eek:

AFAIK, we could stop maps from being made, the same way we talked about the ender chest.

Though it wouldn't be too over powered using maps , for a faction to come up on a map , you have to travel pretty close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scody94

Solitaire wrote: »
    Just a thought, but we can't make any maps of the upcoming server... you could spot other factions' stuff from orbit :eek:
    AFAIK, we could stop maps from being made, the same way we talked about the ender chest.

Though it wouldn't be too over powered using maps , for a faction to come up on a map , you have to travel pretty close to it.

i presume he means the rendered arial maps that they do every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carmackpc

can i be whitelisted?
    username - Carmackpc

Scody94 wrote: »
    i presume he means the rendered arial maps that they do every so often

Ah that makes more sense, don't think thats a big problem considering we only did one and that was only two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Ah that makes more sense, don't think thats a big problem considering we only did one and that was only two weeks ago.

Nah we had one before that as well, a few months ago.

But true It shouldn't be a huge problem. Even we could if the factions wanted, blur/black out their land from the map? At least we could show a map of the safe zones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement