Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Options
  • 08-07-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Page 6 limerick post.
    3 men armed with paint have been going around city covering up all the graffiti. They have been telling people they are from limerick city council but they are not.
    So far they have done skateboard park + the spot on dock road.
    Well done mystery men.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those damned kids.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Be Feck!!!! The graffiti in the skatepark really brightened up the place, I hope theres a marathon of spraying down there this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I'm sure the mystery men are fighting a loosing battle but fair play to them for trying to clean up city.

I'm sure skateboard park has been graffited again already as they have blank canvas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Arty graffitti and murals on walls of derelict places can brighten the place up. Tagging on the other hand is just moronic.

I'd be happy if they concentrated on erasing just the latter.

Spray%20Paint%20Karmah%202.jpg

Saw them earlier just off Little-Catherine St. and took this Photo.....

Seems that if you're going to wander around Limerick Guerilla-over-spraying then you have to be camouflaged, wear body-armour and carry an Assault Rifle......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fair play to them. Residents in Raheen also carried out a war against vandals and their graffiti - a rather successful one

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fair play to them. Residents in Raheen also carried out a war against vandals and their graffiti - a rather successful one

I assume you mean Mob violence/Vigilante justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »

You never got the memo then? :p

Page 6 limerick post.
    3 men armed with paint have been going around city covering up all the graffiti. They have been telling people they are from limerick city council but they are not.
    So far they have done skateboard park + the spot on dock road.Well done mystery men.

You mean they have gone and covered up the two spots where it was actually art and not an eyesore then?

If that is the case then the three of them are nothing but arseholes, as a lot of time and effort went into what was done at the skatepark and the dock road spot with the Munster players out front, plus all that "graffiti" was done with permission, unlike the scumbag tagging that pretty much is everywhere else around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Graffiti and skatebording go hand in hand, they should have left that well alone. It wasn't upsetting anyone.
    If anyone gets their hands on the tool who has tagged G* all over raheen/dooradoyle, please consider giving me a call before giving the bloke a hiding. I'd like to join in.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Kess73 wrote: »
    You never got the memo then? :p

I took the now infamous Roxboro Garda Station approach to the situation when I received the calls for assistance - I farted and changed TV channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

They should leave the artistic graffiti and get rid of the tagging (like all the crap on the new bridge by the Crescent SC). Murals etc. can be quite impressive, as seen eblow:

Some of these were even exhibited at LSAD last year, and they looked amazing in a gallery space.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I think there are some very talented graffiti artists in limerick and some of them made some money selling their graffiti on canvas in sarsfield street recently. So any budding graffiti artists buy some canvas and sell your art, lots of money to be made if you have talent.

As for the vandals destroying the city why don't you graffiti the outside of your own house if its such art, leave public property alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Spray%20Paint%20Karmah%202.jpg

Saw them earlier just off Little-Catherine St. and took this Photo.....

Seems that if you're going to wander around Limerick Guerilla-over-spraying then you have to be camouflaged, wear body-armour and carry an Assault Rifle......

Looks like they are doing it in falujah wearing that gear.
    Besides, they wouldnt need full machine guns, simple pistol/shotgun would have done the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Where did the end of that article go? It kinda got covered up by some big photo didn't it? :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm actually disgusted. The artwork at the skate-park and that yard on the Dock Road was fantastic. These people who covered it up are as much idiots as the taggers, and should be punished as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

phill106 wrote: »
    Looks like they are doing it in falujah wearing that gear.
    Besides, they wouldnt need full machine guns, simple pistol/shotgun would have done the job!
    It's actually in Karmah, a small city between Fallujah and Baghdad: http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/04/the-liberation-1.php (about 15 pictures down)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Wasn't Pat Shortt's brother involved in the graffiti around the skate park .....

Covering up that and the place on the Dock Road is just silly , two places where it actually fitted in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

jonski wrote: »
    Wasn't Pat Shortt's brother involved in the graffiti around the skate park .....

YES, good on him....

Covering up that and the place on the Dock Road is just silly , two places where it actually fitted in .

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Pat Shortt himself is a graduate of the art college so it's a possibility. (edit: just saw above :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

I'm sorry but that skate park has been absolutely filthy since they first opened it. Graffitti aside, which is to be expected, that place is just teaming with rubbish every time i pass it.
    Shame after so many years of campaigning for it to be provided for them they cant keep it clean or just aren't bothered. Seems like these alternative indie/hipster kids far from being alternative are just exactly like every other scumbag and cant clean up after themselves.

Cue abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Seems like these alternative indie/hipster kids far from being alternative are just exactly like every other scumbag and cant clean up after themselves.

Cue abuse.

The indie/hipster kids have moved on because the park has become full of scumbags . ( according to my " indie/hipster kids " )

The indie/hipster kids have moved on because the park has become full of scumbags . ( according to my " indie/hipster kids " )

Well maybe thats the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

As for the vandals destroying the city why don't you graffiti the outside of your own house if its such art, leave public property alone.

Your confusing graffiti with tagging similar but not the same.. the less arty stuff you see everywhere is tagging unlike arty graff the main aim here is to just get your name (tag) in as much places as you can.. its a worldwide phenomenon bigger and more funded cities have tried and failed to stem the rise of tagging.. as an ex tagger i quite like it as long as there is effort and style.. wouldnt be into doing myself anymore ive grown up (slightly)!!
    Seems like these alternative indie/hipster kids far from being alternative are just exactly like every other scumbag and cant clean up after themselves.

I have yet to see someone use a public park and then clean it.. fair enough if you drop a paper/can you should pick it up.. but to call these kids names cuz the whole city has dirtied their park is a joke.. have you seen the talent limerick is producing skaterwise these days? but hey lets paint every one of those kids with the same brush eh..:rolleyes:

Stab*City wrote: »
    Your confusing graffiti with tagging similar but not the same.. the less arty stuff you see everywhere is tagging unlike arty graff the main aim here is to just get your name (tag) in as much places as you can.. its a worldwide phenomenon bigger and more funded cities have tried and failed to stem the rise of tagging.. as an ex tagger i quite like it as long as there is effort and style.. wouldnt be into doing myself anymore ive grown up (slightly)!!

I have yet to see someone use a public park and then clean it.. fair enough if you drop a paper/can you should pick it up.. but to call these kids names cuz the whole city has dirtied their park is a joke.. have you seen the talent limerick is producing skaterwise these days? but hey lets paint every one of those kids with the same brush eh..:rolleyes:

Hmmm, I didn't know the whole city was coming down to the dock road to dump their rubbish. I've certainly never thrown any rubbish near there.

The skaters kids use the skate park, the skate park is full of rubbish therefore the skater kids must play some part in contributing to the build up of rubbish down there.

Are you seriously suggesting that they have no part to play- that they're simply patsies in a twisted garbage dumping plot? Come on get real.

I also have no doubt that they are talented, but does having talent mean that you're less likely to dump rubbish or something?

I'm not saying these are bad kids, I'm just saying the place is dirty and it's surprised me that after years of campagning for it, that they dont seem to bothered about keeping it clean.

Just home and drove back along the Dock road on the way. The painting of Paul O' Connell and O'Gara has been covered badly with cheap beige paint as has many of the sections of wall inside that yard.

There is already dirty manky looking tagging on the beige bits, and where the two rugby players faces were.

Well done to the arseholes who painted over the graffiti art, the area down there looks terrible now with big beige sections withy tagging on it.

From what I saw the places that they have painted over now look worse and more tatty than before now.

I hope they get caught and done for it tbh. Three attention seeking idiots with paint who are no better than the scum who tag walls. With luck they get caught and charged for it.

Just because the rubbish is there doesn't mean the Kids who use it are responsible for 100% of it - Or 5% of it for that matter?

Anyhow, in most Cities across the Planet the Public Authorities collect revenue and fund essential Public Services from this financial reserve, often times they'll sweep Streets/Collect Litter etc.

All of this is coming soon to Limerick circa 2028 AD*

DISCLAIMER: Limerick may never be run as a modern-day, progressive, first world City and be afforded basic sanitation etc.

I also have no doubt that they are talented, but does having talent mean that you're less likely to dump rubbish or something?

I'm not saying these are bad kids, I'm just saying the place is dirty and it's surprised me that after years of campagning for it, that they dont seem to bothered about keeping it clean.

I think the scum that go in there drinking and sunbathing when the weather is fine do more in terms of litter than the kids to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

wheelsonthebus

Quit your trolling or I will have to quit your trolling for you

Any more off-topic trollery will result in bannings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement