Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Farms

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you could claim the same for nuclear energy if that is the case...

Nobody has posted proof that there will be an economic benefit to the Irish countryside from these turbines.

The only benefit will be some people who get appointed to nice jobs on boards of companies after they retire.

**** cough cough, no names mentioned. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Does anybody here realise over all yer arguments for and against wind turbines that these are being built to meet England's needs not Ireland's.If they ever get built.

Yawn.... And the dairy farmer down the road is producing milk to make cheese for English children,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yawn.... And the dairy farmer down the road is producing milk to make cheese for English children,

which is also eaten by Irish children.
    What is your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

kjkkments wrote: »
    I cant imagine they will build a separate interconnector just for this.

You can read Greenwire's own web page describing the project here. They do indeed plan 2 HV cables to Wales just for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    which is also eaten by Irish children.
    What is your point exactly?

The point of exports is to export them... The land owners who get paid for having roads and turbines on their land will be in Ireland, the money they spend will probably be local... The Crew that put up the turbines will be Irish, the controllers that run the system will be here... The money to pay for it will be foreign ....
    There's a limit to how much wind generated power can be on the grid...
    Because the uk demand is so much greater they can handle the extra power,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The point of exports is to export them... The land owners who get paid for having roads and turbines on their land will be in Ireland, the money they spend will probably be local... The Crew that put up the turbines will be Irish, the controllers that run the system will be here... The money to pay for it will be foreign ....

No they won't, the civil works(foundations etc) will eb Irish, the turbines will be installed by foreign crews, the hotels and B &Bs the foreign crew stay in will be Irish.

With regards the control crew, that'll probably be done remotely, tyhey are largely automated. each turbine will require 2 half days maintenance each year. a crew of two could probably cover this.

Our Grid (most grids) can handle at most 50% wind, we'll hit 40% very soon which is our target for renewables. so we don't really need anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

This article from an American civil engineering magazine gives a good overview of Element Power's proposal for the midlands. Doesn't sound like there will be too many Irish jobs generated.

Windmills Planned for U.K. Among World’s Tallest
    By Steve Goldstein

"Resembling massive propellers unmoored from a gigantic aircraft, some of the world’s tallest wind turbines may soon be spinning above the boggy midlands of Ireland, generating electricity to be delivered via undersea cables to the United Kingdom.

February 12, 2013—The scope and size of a plan to build ultratall wind turbines within the bogs of central Ireland are producing winds of controversy—as if the sheer engineering challenges aren’t daunting enough. For those who have visited the United Kingdom, a stiff breeze off the sea seems the norm. But the proposed wind farm site—five midland counties west of Dublin—is relatively windless, meaning that the turbines will have to reach high into the sky to capture wind sufficient to generate power. And despite some opposition to that plan, that is exactly what is proposed, according to Peter Harte, the chief technology officer for Element Power Ltd., the global renewable power developer, who answered written questions from Civil Engineering online. Harte says that Element’s plan, dubbed Greenwire, calls for turbines that will soar 620 ft above the ground, or roughly the height of a 60-story building."

Full story...
    http://www.asce.org/CEMagazine/Article.aspx?id=23622323435#.UhCYg9I3sUE

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

Somebody should tell Lumcloon Energy Limited that you don't need any fossil fuel backup for wind energy because they are planning to build a gas-fired power station at Ferbane to do just that.

"An application has been lodged with An Bord Pleanála for a €300 million 325 megawatt gas-fired power station in Ferbane, Co Offaly.

The application by Offaly-based Lumcloon Energy, which plans to feed into the national grid at peak times as a back-up to wind energy, could create 50 jobs. The proposed plant would operate on the site of the former ESB peat-burning Ferbane power station, which was demolished in 2002.

The plant will consist of two generating units - a flexible unit consisting of two gas turbines and one steam turbine and a smaller simple-cycle unit. The simple-cycle unit is a reserve/peaking unit to support wind energy power plants in the event of a rapid fall-off in wind generation."

http://www.enviro-solutions.com/dailynews/270809-lumcloon-energy.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Wrong the turbines in Cavan are controlled from Siemens in Germany no Irish workers involed in running of them

Somebody should tell Lumcloon Energy Limited that you don't need any fossil fuel backup for wind energy because they are planning to build a gas-fired power station at Ferbane to do just that.

Nobody said you don't need backup.

What I said was that spoofer's statement is bull. Having spinning reserve power generation does not mean that wind power generates as much CO2 as generating the same power from fossil fuels. It just means wind generation does not eliminate CO2 emissions completely.

• Advertisement

Nobody said you don't need backup.

What I said was that spoofer's statement is bull. Having spinning reserve power generation does not mean that wind power generates as much CO2 as generating the same power from fossil fuels. It just means wind generation does not eliminate CO2 emissions completely.

Incorrect because of the way energy is traded wind takes priority as a result plants are operating well below max capacity and hence the emmissions per Kwh increases greatly. This is as a direct result of wind energy a Nd the preference it gets on the SEM

ted1 wrote: »
    Incorrect because of the way energy is traded wind takes priority as a result plants are operating well below max capacity and hence the emmissions per Kwh increases greatly. This is as a direct result of wind energy a Nd the preference it gets on the SEM

Emissions per Kwh from the backup station are high, because ideally the backup station spins, gives off CO2 but generates zero power - infinite emissions per KWh!

But of course total emissions are lower than if the power was all generated from gas.

Emissions per Kwh from the backup station are high, because ideally the backup station spins, gives off CO2 but generates zero power - infinite emissions per KWh!

But of course total emissions are lower than if the power was all generated from gas.
    I'm not talking solely about spinning reserves but all the plants operating at reduced capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Will oppose it. 2,500 Proposed turbines, some up to 185m tall, and supplying electricity to the UK using an inefficient source of natural energy with definite health concerns for those unlucky enough to live literally in their shadow. Pretty strong opposition on the ground here, at least anecdotally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but it seems the proposed wind farms aren't going to go ahead
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/proposals-for-giant-wind-farms-are-shelved-30071008.html

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭paulski999

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but it seems the proposed wind farms aren't going to go ahead
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/proposals-for-giant-wind-farms-are-shelved-30071008.html

One of companies involved is ploughing ahead with their plans for wind turbines in an industrial scale, for example on my doorstep they plan to put up a proposed Wind Farm (North Meath) which totals 46 turbines over 169m tall (each over 550 feet tall)
    It will be a blight on the landscape not to mention the noise and glare from 46 turbines running 24 hours 7 days a week in a small rural landscape. They are being put in for 30 years!!

This is on an industrial scale, there are so many more in the pipeline in counties Offaly, Kildare, Westmeath, Laois & Meath, and this is only from one company. http://greenwire.ie/greenwire-wind-e...arm-locations/

Check out FB page and the pics therein come from the company who wants to install them!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Meath-Windfarm-Information-Group/149802808550984?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

I've lived within 5 minutes drive of the UK's largest wind farm site (Whitelee Windfarm, 215 turbines, each around 450 feet tall) and I find the things fairly majestic.

Electricity has to come from somewhere, and wind isn't an absolutely horrific option.
    There were a few days recently where there was enough wind energy in Scotland at least generated to power the whole country for a short period.

I would rather have a wind turbine in my back garden than a coal/oil fired power station, even with the noise from the wind energy.

Frankly I find all the opposition to wind energy both in the UK and here a bit distasteful.

I've lived within 5 minutes drive of the UK's largest wind farm site (Whitelee Windfarm, 215 turbines, each around 450 feet tall) and I find the things fairly majestic.

Electricity has to come from somewhere, and wind isn't an absolutely horrific option.
    There were a few days recently where there was enough wind energy in Scotland at least generated to power the whole country for a short period.

I would rather have a wind turbine in my back garden than a coal/oil fired power station, even with the noise from the wind energy.

Frankly I find all the opposition to wind energy both in the UK and here a bit distasteful.

but we're not going to build oil, gas or coal power stations in Ireland
    the energy from the turbines will be exported to the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Jayleen Mango Quintuplet

Just some humor..

"No matter how much we love green energy, we have to admit that wind turbines completely destroy the picturesque landscape"
    http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2gumwp/no_matter_how_much_we_love_green_energy_we_have/

C87vMI3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Distasteful ? Hyperbole much ? Many people oppose the "greenwash" that is being used to push through more and more taxpayer and electricity bill payer subsidised construction of wind turbines - And they have a perfect right to do so.

The energy density (power generation per area) of wind energy if far too low for wind energy to be considered as anything other than a very small part of the energy generation mix.

One of the largest of the current generation of wind turbines can generate about 5 MW (when the wind is blowing at the right speed....). Even a relatively small power station ( say having two 500 MW turbines ) generates 200 times that amount 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

There is not a simple choice to be made between centralised power stations and wind turbines - Wind energy has it's part to play but because of it's low energy density and dependance on the wind blowing at the right speed it can not replace conventional power stations.

This video clip tells you all you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7rRPrA7rg

Advertisement