Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to rollout ftth?

• 29-08-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭

eircom results

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Full_Year_and_Fourth_Quarter_Results_To_30_June_2014_/

“I am also delighted to announce that our ambition for the delivery of high speed broadband services across Ireland will take us further with an additional investment commitment over the coming two years. This includes the deployment of fibre to the home technology, supporting symmetrical speeds of up to 1Gb to locations in Ireland where we see demand emerging. In addition, we are expanding the overall fibre footprint to 1.6m premises, ensuring more customers across Ireland will be able to avail of fibre broadband. Our rollout should be completed by December 2016.”

Let's see if this actually happens or is another fibre to the Press Release rollout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭clohamon

bealtine wrote: »
    eircom results
    In addition, we are expanding the overall fibre footprint to 1.6m premises, ensuring more customers across Ireland will be able to avail of fibre broadband. Our rollout should be completed by December 2016.”
    I'm not sure this is necessarily good news even if it gets delivered.
    If Eircom are increasing their footprint it probably means the NBP footprint will be reduced accordingly.

The experience in the UK is that EVDSL simply cherry picks the centres of settlements and leaves the surrounding areas uneconomic for anything at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hopefully this means I can get a FTTH connection to the fibre Eircom recently laid outside my house as part of the VDSL "eFibre" roll out.

Advertisement