Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dating Technique

• 21-07-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I am trying to find out if there is any easy way to date concrete.

I found a piece stone that initially was thought to be from a fireplace, had that pumice sort of look to it.
    However it turns out that it is a lump of concrete.

Was found near a Motte that has a hole dug in the side by rabbits.

Anyone have any ideas about dating it?

Thanks.

Comments

Society might frown upon your relationship, but don't let that discourage you.

Sorry... I couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Ha Bleedin' Ha,

What happens in a Motte, Stays in a Motte!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, the first documented modern use of what we would call mass concrete took place in France, when the Canal du Midi was built around 1667 - 81.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_du_Midi

A revival of interest in concrete in the 18th century occurred when engineers and scientists began to experiment with new cements culminating in the development of Portland cement by Joseph Aspdin and later by Isaac Johnson.

In the early 19th century concrete began to be used extensively in houses, generally as un-reinforced mass concrete, clad or rendered in other materials.

tac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hey folks,

I am trying to find out if there is any easy way to date concrete.

I found a piece stone that initially was thought to be from a fireplace, had that pumice sort of look to it.
    However it turns out that it is a lump of concrete.

Was found near a Motte that has a hole dug in the side by rabbits.

Anyone have any ideas about dating it?

Thanks.

Could it be lime mortar?

I have a couple of pictures, not great quality but might be enough for somebody that knows they're stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Not so sure that it is concrete. It could easily be a piece of lime mortar attached to a stone. It could also be a natural conglomerate stone.
    Might get a better answer if you post it up in the Geography forum.

Hi Slowburner,

I don't think it is natural, the photo's do not show it too well, but the lighter areas are slightly lighter in colour than Pumice.

The reason it caught my attention was the fact that it looks like it was part of a fireplace, has that look as though it has been exposed to heat over a long period of time.

If that helps any.

Hey Slowburner,

What sort of period would Lime Mortar date from?

It seems like it might be as you suggested.

The item was found near a Motte which just happens to be on the site of a previous earthwork from around 200AD.

There are a few pieces of stone which look cut and shaped that appear to have been dug out of a hole by a rabbit.

Just as point of interest, how heavy would Lime Mortar be?

Hey Slowburner,

What sort of period would Lime Mortar date from?
    C12th, at the earliest. Your example - if it is a lime mortar - looks much later than that though, perhaps as late as the C18th.
    Just as point of interest, how heavy would Lime Mortar be?
    That varies with the aggregate content but it should be quite a bit lighter and more friable than concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I have a couple of pictures, not great quality but might be enough for somebody that knows they're stuff.

Id have limited experience in lime mortar and had the pleasure of seeing it produced I dont think however this is it..seems to me theres small pieces of white quartz in your sample. .which I dont think would be in lime mortar..part of the process involves crushing everything to dust you see..however I have come across similiar pieces of the "concrete" type material in a quarry near me and was puzzelled how it got there til a local geologist explained that it was a natural conglomerate. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Id have limited experience in lime mortar and had the pleasure of seeing it produced I dont think however this is it..seems to me theres small pieces of white quartz in your sample. .which I dont think would be in lime mortar..part of the process involves crushing everything to dust you see..however I have come across similiar pieces of the "concrete" type material in a quarry near me and was puzzelled how it got there til a local geologist explained that it was a natural conglomerate. .

Advertisement