Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft ordered to hand over overseas email, throwing EU privacy rights in the fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However why do people use email from Google, MS, Yahoo, Apple in Europe anyway? These companies along with Facebook and Twitter only want to exploit you. Google is worst and Facebook 2nd worst for "spying" on and exploiting their users.

Use email of your European ISP. Avoid ISPs that subcontract email to Yahoo, Microsoft or Google.

Here there is talk of gunboats

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/31/microsoft_overseas_data_ruling/

Get the popcorn ready.

So if you use Azure or Office365 you may be making your Irish Business subject to USA law, according to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

re:McDowell's claim that MS would be breaking the law without a judges signature
    don't they still hand over flight manifestos and credit card details with no judge signing?

I understood they'd changed the eu data protection to allow this once national security was cited... and that the us agencies cite it all the time. I remember this became a big issue when it was reported that SWIFT was just handing over any information requested.
    From wikipedia
    A series of articles published on 23 June 2006, by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Los Angeles Times revealed that the US Treasury Department and the USA Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and other United States of America government agencies had a program to access the SWIFT transaction database after the 11 September attacks called the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program
    From that article I see that they did have an interim agreement to share but then it becomes confusing because it reads as if the interim agreement was not implemented but europol had a report that the US agencies requests are too vague... which would seem to indicate there is an agreement or data sharing.

After watching a few of those Ed Snowden interviews, and reading a little about some of the programs, I would not be surprised if this is all just fuss in the papers is just some charade to make their targets more relaxed and perhaps some will store the data or communicate online. Soon after Snowden did his TED talk, some spokes guy [or should that be a spooks person :)] for the NSA also did a talk. He pointed out that because of Snowden's revelations the bad guys had stopped using all these online US services companies and so Snowden had put lives in danger.

Personally I just assume someone is reading anything and everything I have online! Not that I have information (online or offline) that would make any difference to the world. But just because I have nothing of value does not mean I agree or am happy with the situation... there are basic principals being abused.

Advertisement