Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Just because it was legal doesn't mean it was right .

A lot of people use the law as a guide. E.g. many view the maximum speed limit as an invitation to drive at that speed. many drive while below the drink drive limit on the basis that the upper limit gives them permission to drive with that level of alcohol and deems them safe to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

A lot of people use the law as a guide. E.g. many view the maximum speed limit as an invitation to drive at that speed. many drive while below the drink drive limit on the basis that the upper limit gives them permission to drive with that level of alcohol and deems them safe to do so.

So, if a law was passed tomorrow stating that a child could be beaten to within an inch of its life, every child in the country would be beaten to within an inch of its life regularly thereafter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

The worst punishment I ever got was when I was a sixteen year old girl. I was beaten on the soles of my bare feet with a rod for defiance. The pain was terrible. I couldn't walk for three days. I had to crawl to the toilet on my hands and knees. I had to go backways down the stairs on my knees and take my meals in a kneeling position. It was an awful punishment and I never really got over it.

• The worst punishment I ever got was when I was a sixteen year old girl. I was beaten on the soles of my bare feet with a rod for defiance. The pain was terrible. I couldn't walk for three days. I had to crawl to the toilet on my hands and knees. I had to go backways down the stairs on my knees and take my meals in a kneeling position. It was an awful punishment and I never really got over it.
    Are you from (were in) the Middle East?

The worst punishment I ever got was when I was a sixteen year old girl. I was beaten on the soles of my bare feet with a rod for defiance. The pain was terrible. I couldn't walk for three days. I had to crawl to the toilet on my hands and knees. I had to go backways down the stairs on my knees and take my meals in a kneeling position. It was an awful punishment and I never really got over it.
    Are you from (were in) the Middle East?
    No. I am Irish. I was never in the Middle East in my life. I think my father was there when he was in the British Army, but it was before he inherited the shop and came home and got married.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sole whipping is a form of torture

wtf is wrong with people

i have nightmares from this bloody thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

bluewolf wrote: »
    sole whipping is a form of torture

wtf is wrong with people

i have nightmares from this bloody thread

I don't agree with beating the feet. A lot of damage can be caused to the small bones in the feet, including breaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Youve already been banned previously for posts made in this thread so dont post here anymore.
    Kosseegan wrote: »
    I don't agree with beating the feet. A lot of damage can be caused to the small bones in the feet, including breaking them.

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I was either a very good child or my parents were very patient people because I never got a slap from either of them ever.
    Some of the stories here make me realise what a good childhood I really had.

• No. I am Irish. I was never in the Middle East in my life. I think my father was there when he was in the British Army, but it was before he inherited the shop and came home and got married.
    I guessed that there had to be some connection, it sounds like something you would expect the Taliban to do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

No. I am Irish. I was never in the Middle East in my life. I think my father was there when he was in the British Army, but it was before he inherited the shop and came home and got married.
    I guessed that there had to be some connection, it sounds like something you would expect the Taliban to do.
    what does the fact that her father served in the Middle East have to do with her brutal torture.? She must have been caught killing, cooking and eating one of her younger siblings to get that punishment .

• what does the fact that her father served in the Middle East have to do with her brutal torture.? She must have been caught killing, cooking and eating one of her younger siblings to get that punishment .
    He had to have got the idea from somewhere! That's possibly one of the worst that's been posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Reading this thread makes me sad, angry and lose faith in humanity, if this is how people treat their own kids.

what does the fact that her father served in the Middle East have to do with her brutal torture.? She must have been caught killing, cooking and eating one of her younger siblings to get that punishment .

It was nothing like that. My mother got a report from the nuns that I had been seen talking to a boy from the Brothers school outside of the convent where I was going to school. My mother took me up to the bedroom and told me to remove my drawers so she could beat my behind with a cane. I refused as I hadn't been beaten on my behind since I was much younger. She told me a second time and I again refused. She called my father up from the yard and told him that I was defying her by refusing to remove my drawers. He grabbed me and threw me face down on the bed. He put my mother sitting on one of my arms. He then took off my shoes and socks and tied my feet to the top of the metal frame at the end of the bed. He looked at the cane my mother was going to use and said "too thick". He went off and came back after a few minutes. He started beating my bare feet and shouting "now will you remove your drawers". My mother was saying " Good man Jack" every time he struck a blow with the thin rod. I was screaming and trying to reach my drawers with my free hand but it was no good because I still had my pinafore on. My brothers and sisters could hear all the shouting and screaming and thought our mother and father had gone mad. In our house my father punished my brothers and my mother punished us. My mother nearly always beat us on the hands with a cane like at school. My father used a studded belt or sometimes a stick to wallop my brothers so beating the feet was very unusual. I don't think my parents meant it to be as severe as it was. They never did it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

giving (not selling) my Witness (the oxegen of its day) ticket to my cousin. I missed the white stripes and I was crushed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

It was nothing like that. My mother got a report from the nuns that I had been seen talking to a boy from the Brothers school outside of the convent where I was going to school. My mother took me up to the bedroom and told me to remove my drawers so she could beat my behind with a cane. I refused as I hadn't been beaten on my behind since I was much younger. She told me a second time and I again refused. She called my father up from the yard and told him that I was defying her by refusing to remove my drawers. He grabbed me and threw me face down on the bed. He put my mother sitting on one of my arms. He then took off my shoes and socks and tied my feet to the top of the metal frame at the end of the bed. He looked at the cane my mother was going to use and said "too thick". He went off and came back after a few minutes. He started beating my bare feet and shouting "now will you remove your drawers". My mother was saying " Good man Jack" every time he struck a blow with the thin rod. I was screaming and trying to reach my drawers with my free hand but it was no good because I still had my pinafore on. My brothers and sisters could hear all the shouting and screaming and thought our mother and father had gone mad. In our house my father punished my brothers and my mother punished us. My mother nearly always beat us on the hands with a cane like at school. My father used a studded belt or sometimes a stick to wallop my brothers so beating the feet was very unusual. I don't think my parents meant it to be as severe as it was. They never did it again.

That was heartbreaking to read.

I'm very sorry you went through that, and all that must have gone before it.

Giselle wrote: »

That was heartbreaking to read.

I'm very sorry you went through that, and all that must have gone before it.
    My parents have been dead for a long time. I have forgiven them and I pray for their souls. My mother had her heart set on me getting into nursing, and she thought there was no chance if I was in trouble with the nuns. My father did not really want to be bothered with girls. All he was interested in was football and fishing.

It was nothing like that. My mother got a report from the nuns that I had been seen talking to a boy from the Brothers school outside of the convent where I was going to school. My mother took me up to the bedroom and told me to remove my drawers so she could beat my behind with a cane.

What exactly was the offence? What were you supposed to have been doing that merited a beating with a cane on your behind? Were you smoking joints together, or having sex in full view of the whole town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Jo King wrote: »
    What exactly was the offence? What were you supposed to have been doing that merited a beating with a cane on your behind? Were you smoking joints together, or having sex in full view of the whole town?
    The original offense was the nuns complaining that she had been talking to a boy. For that her mother was going to cane her on her bare arse. When she refused to take off her underware, the mother saw it as defiance, called up the father and they went bat sh!t crazy. Scary stuff. Kinda like this disturbing video :(

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The original offense was the nuns complaining that she had been talking to a boy. For that her mother was going to cane her on her bare arse. When she refused to take off her underware, the mother saw it as defiance, called up the father and they went bat sh!t crazy.

Thank you for your summary of Mouldy Mary's post. I was able to work out that much myself however. What I am trying to find out is what was the alleged offence in the first place. Why was she being caned at all?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

The original offense was the nuns complaining that she had been talking to a boy. For that her mother was going to cane her on her bare arse. When she refused to take off her underware, the mother saw it as defiance, called up the father and they went bat sh!t crazy.

Thank you for your summary of Mouldy Mary's post. I was able to work out that much myself however. What I am trying to find out is what was the alleged offence in the first place. Why was she being caned at all?
    isn't it enough that the nuns thought there was something inappropriate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

My mam used to say that if I wasn't home by a certain time she'd come and find me, and my god she'd always stick to her word. I remember one foroige disco, 4 non blondes -what's up was playing, I was 'shifting' during the slow set and turned around to see mam standing in the middle of the dance floor staring me down arms folded. Mortified!! she roars laughing about it now, saying she was nearly willing us to be late so she could hunt us down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

having to sit through coronation street :(

cactuspaw wrote: »
    giving (not selling) my Witness (the oxegen of its day) ticket to my cousin. I missed the white stripes and I was crushed!

They never played Witnness because Jack White broke his hand. Every band played the riff from 7 Nation Army that weekend...and I got really sunburned. Good times!

The nuns had a rule that girls in uniform should not talk to boys in public. This was the rule even if it was brother and sister. The nuns said the school would get a bad name if their girls were seen talking to boys. I had a friend whose mother got TB. The mother was sent to a sanitorium and my friend was taken out of school to look after the house. I hadn't seen her for about three months when I met her brother when we were both coming from mass. We had been to an early mass before school to pray for our exams. I asked him how his mother was and how my friend was getting on. We serenity talking for two or three minutes. Someone reported us to the nuns. He was leatherd by the Brothers when they found out from the nuns. When he got home he got another fierce flogging. Rule breaking was taken very seriously in those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My uncle used to whip the soles of his kids feet, one time when the dog was on heat he caught her mating and kicked her half to death, his eldest daughter who was 15 and had a heart operation jumped in and stopped him, he proceeded to beat and kick her instead.

All my dads family were violent his other brother belted his step daughters back till it bled, we could here he screams 3floors below. One if his step daughters dress caught fire her legs and her bum were all burnt they didnt even seek medical attention for her. Another time back to my other uncle he made his 10 year old daughter walk on her broken swollen foot for a week before seeking medical attention. You think they were bad their parents (my grandparents) were worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

go to your room feckin hated being made to sit in my room :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

My uncle used to whip the soles of his kids feet, one time when the dog was on heat he caught her mating and kicked her half to death, his eldest daughter who was 15 and had a heart operation jumped in and stopped him, he proceeded to beat and kick her instead.

All my dads family were violent his other brother belted his step daughters back till it bled, we could here he screams 3floors below. One if his step daughters dress caught fire her legs and her bum were all burnt they didnt even seek medical attention for her. Another time back to my other uncle he made his 10 year old daughter walk on her broken swollen foot for a week before seeking medical attention. You think they were bad their parents (my grandparents) were worse.
    I actually feel like vomiting.
    Those are crimes against humanity:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mouldy Mary your story is heart breaking, I know my mothers school would kill the girls for talking to boys. Thankfully her parents were more attuned to normal life. Well her dad anyways her mom held a knife up to her throat when she came home drunk at 18..... One of her sisters had to talk the mom down, my mother was a black sheep her dad was fantastic her mother was bitter.

• Advertisement

Mouldy Mary your story is heart breaking, I know my mothers school would kill the girls for talking to boys. Thankfully her parents were more attuned to normal life. Well her dad anyways her mom held a knife up to her throat when she came home drunk at 18..... One of her sisters had to talk the mom down, my mother was a black sheep her dad was fantastic her mother was bitter.
    My mother left school before she was fourteen and became a live in maid. The woman of the house used to take a stick to her if her work was in any way unsatisfactory. She was always reminded of her background as the child of landless labourer. After a few years the woman died and she stayed on working for the man who was very quiet. A year after the woman died, the man died. Everything was left to his nephew, my father. He left the British Army and came home. He told my mother she could stay on for a while. They ended up getting married. I think it was a convenience for both of them. It was a big rise in social status for my mother. She was obsessed with her position in society. She thought it was a great honour for us to go to secondary school in a convent. She used to buy canes from the nuns. They were specially blessed. The nuns didn't use them in the school, they just gave us a note to bring home with a complaint made in it. The note had to be brought back signed by a parent saying that it wouldn't happen again. A month after my feet were beaten, during the school holidays, I went to see my friend whose mother had TB. I was five minutes late coming home because her mother was very bad. My mother took me to the bedroom and asked me if I was going to do what I was told or would my father have to come and put manners on me. I said I would do what I was told. She made me remove my underwear and bend over the metal frame at the end of the bed with my arms stretched out in front. She lifted up the back of my dress and put it in the small of my back. She gave me six cuts of the cane on my behind. It was very sore and I think she only did it to check if I had learnt my lesson. I got a job in the Civil Service about two years later and I moved to Dublin. It was only then that the fear of being caned on the bare behind went.

Advertisement