Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Camera recommendations

• 03-03-2015 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Off to Thailand soon on my first scuba trip and looking to get a camera/camcorder that I can use underwater. Does anyone have any recommendations? GoPro seem very expensive.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi all,

Off to Thailand soon on my first scuba trip and looking to get a camera/camcorder that I can use underwater. Does anyone have any recommendations? GoPro seem very expensive.

Thanks!

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Catmologen wrote: »
    What's your budget?

400ish

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Magenta wrote: »
    400ish

Ok, id go with the gopro 4 silver. They were 335 in Dixon's in Dublin airport a couple of months back. As you are going outside the EU you might even get it cheaper than that. It would be worth giving them a call to check the price.

Its a great camera and you will get some lovely video in the clear waters of Thailand.

You could also get a samsung class 10 32gb micro sd for about 15 euro from amazon, that still leaves you with a small budget for additional mounts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

+1 on the GoPro

I got one last year (Hero 3+) and have used it for a bit of diving/snorkelling.

The videos are great - have a look at this short one I took in Malaysia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MoistNSquishy

If you buy an underwater camera, It will only perfrom well underwater. If you buy standard camera, you will need t get a waterproof case, which will cost twice the amount of the camera itself. I also use a go-pro for scuba. The go-pro will work fantastic for clips and video, however any still images wont come out great unless you capture a still from a clip.
    Also I wouldnt splash out on a go pro unless you plan on using it alot or any camera for that matter.
    Go to www. divegear.ie and look here for camera's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 raouls

+1 GoPro, however I would certainly get the LCD back as well (€85). It gives a real time view of what the camera sees and makes it far easier to 'frame your shot' especially underwater. You can then get some pretty good grips and mounts depending on your preference, myself I use a wrist mount which works well.

Moving on up the scale, the next best would be something like a Compact 2/3 camera such as a Cannon G16 (€500 camera, €240 dive housing). Then at the top of the scale you have your DLSR and housing which will set you back €2,000+.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Gopro Hero 4 Silver and get the filter for blue water. The weak euro has pushed up the price of them though so 400 may not be enough anymore.

Advertisement