Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

greatest set of headphones?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dorgasm wrote: »
    If it's just for general listening, these Bowers & Wilkins headphones are the best I've ever heard. Quality is amazing, bass is deep and satisfying but not
    overpowering. Has anyone ever used them?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/H6807ZM/A/Bowers-and-Wilkins-C5-In-Ear-Headphones

The fact that they're on sale in the Apple Store would make me think they're more style over substance, or at the very least, you'd be paying a premium for the association with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

For travel Shure SE535

ARGINITE wrote: »
    For travel Shure SE535
    $500!!! :eek:

For Travel? To where? The Lotto headquarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

BaZmO* wrote: »
    $500!!! :eek:

For Travel? To where? The Lotto headquarters?

I find them great for the train to work :D
    No need to win the lotto to own them.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

i've a pair of these babies.

You won't find better value in terms of sound. They're not the coolest looking 'phones you'll ever see though so maybe not suitable for outdoor wear. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The fact that they're on sale in the Apple Store would make me think they're more style over substance, or at the very least, you'd be paying a premium for the association with Apple.

Yeah I would usually think the same, I don't buy into the Apple hype but these are a brilliant set of headphones.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nice one - traveling through myself this Monday so might be tempted if they are still there.

Going through Dublin airport this morning and I almost resisted checking if there was any left... wandered into Dixons and they had them reduced again to 80! Snapped up a pair, there were only 2 left. Feckin thrilled - I'm away now till Wednesday so won't get to test them really till I'm home, impressed though even on my mp3 player. The build quality is excellent and very comfortable... clearly quite bass heavy but I expected that from the reviews I've read. Downside is that I've now used my planned budget on some new tunes :(

Oh and... :pac:

tma1.jpg
    dorgasm wrote: »
    If it's just for general listening, these Bowers & Wilkins headphones are the best I've ever heard. Quality is amazing, bass is deep and satisfying but not
    overpowering. Has anyone ever used them?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/H6807ZM/A/Bowers-and-Wilkins-C5-In-Ear-Headphones

They were a set I had considered when I last upgraded my IEMs but went for the Sennheiser IE8 at the time, love them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-IE-8i-High-fidelity-Ear-Canal/dp/B003WV391Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326144273&sr=8-1-spell
    loadwire wrote: »
    i've a pair of these babies.

You won't find better value in terms of sound. They're not the coolest looking 'phones you'll ever see though so maybe not suitable for outdoor wear. ;)

Grado are high on my list of headphone wants - I hope to get either the SR60 or SR80 at some point.

I have a bit of a headphone addiction I have to admit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Going through Dublin airport this morning and I almost resisted checking if there was any left... wandered into Dixons and they had them reduced again to 80! Snapped up a pair, there were only 2 left. Feckin thrilled - I'm away now till Wednesday so won't get to test them really till I'm home, impressed though even on my mp3 player. The build quality is excellent and very comfortable... clearly quite bass heavy but I expected that from the reviews I've read. Downside is that I've now used my planned budget on some new tunes :(

tma1.jpg

You kidding me?!?! :pac:

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You kidding me?!?! :pac:

I nearly didn't want to mention it given the bargain I got :pac: - my thought process this morning was if there was still some there at 110 I'd probably go for it, when I saw them at 80 there was no thinking about it!

Still a steal though at the 110, I see Amazon are back up at GBP165 so pretty much 200 euro...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AIAIAI-TMA-1-DJ-Headphone-Black/dp/B00404H6DQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326145127&sr=1-1

As for the Beats ones, I was really sceptical, but my mate (who i trust completely) tried a pair and fell in love with them straight away - says they're useless for anything studio or dj related, because they're really "dishonest" and colour the sound completely, but if you're after an amazing listening experience with huge amounts of clear and defined bass you can't go wrong. Very overpriced for what they are though, and very fragile too.
    In fairness to the Beats, they have an incredible sound, I just couldn't justify the price tag. But for overall listening experience I think they're hard to beat. Wouldn't be suitable for DJing though, as I'd say they'd fall apart after a few weeks.
    Cianh wrote: »
    whats the difference between the sennheiser hd25 1 - II and the hd 25 II?
    from here

HD 25 II 502105
    as HD 25-1 II, but with 2m steel cable, straight jack plug

HD 25-C II 502104
    as HD 25-1 II, but with 3m coiled cable, straight jack plug

HD 25-13 II 502102
    as HD 25-1 II, but with 600 ohm impedance, 3m steel cable, straight jack plug

I have the HD 25-C II's. Great cans, but the 3m coiled cable, while it's great for DJing (which I don't do a lot of lately), it's a pain in the hole for just general listening. Replacement cables are a ridiculous price.

tma1.jpg
    Picked up a pair today for €80. I've only listened to them using my iPhone but they're ridiculously bassy (which like yourself I expected), which makes them definitely more suited to more dance/electronic music.

Serious bargain though! :) (and still another 3 out on the shelves)

• Advertisement

Picked up a pair today for €80. I've only listened to them using my iPhone but they're ridiculously bassy (which like yourself I expected), which makes them definitely more suited to more dance/electronic music.

Serious bargain though! :) (and still another 3 out on the shelves)

Nice one - I must say I'm loving them, I've had a good at least 5 or 6 hours of listening time on them now and they just continue to impress. Only home tonight and not sure if I've the energy to crank up the decks for the ultimate test, might need to wait till tomorrow evening for that.

Had a listen on the laptop and they sound even better. But yeah, the decks are the next test! I'll leave that for tomorrow. Old man that I am!! :D

Had a listen on the laptop and they sound even better. But year, the decks are the next test! I'll leave that for tomorrow. Old man that I am!! :D

Yeah I've mine running direct to a CD player now and really delivering - can't get away from the fact that they are dull and bass heavy but in a good way though! Gas alright with age, a few years back and the lids of the decks would have been torn off to test drive a new addition such as headphones :pac:

Yeah I've mine running direct to a CD player now and really delivering - can't get away from the fact that they are dull and bass heavy but in a good way though!
    I think that ties into what Steve was talking about earlier. They give a very "true" sound, in that if a track is not mastered correctly or ripped correctly the inadequacies will be shown up. I think this would be were the Beats would come into their own, they are so much more forgiving. That said, the right track on the TMA-1's just sounds amazing (even on an iPhone!)

They look amazing though, and the build quality is super.

Gas alright with age, a few years back and the lids of the decks would have been torn off to test drive a new addition such as headphones :pac:
    Shush! I blame the 12 hour shifts! ;/

On a side note: Apparently this is where they get their name from.

I think that ties into what Steve was talking about earlier. They give a very "true" sound, in that if a track is not mastered correctly or ripped correctly the inadequacies will be shown up. I think this would be were the Beats would come into their own, they are so much more forgiving. That said, the right track on the TMA-1's just sounds amazing (even on an iPhone!)

They look amazing though, and the build quality is super.

I've completely resisted even listening to a set of Beats due to all the negative reviews from 'purists' around the web - plus the fact that I felt anything with an artist endorsement has to be shyte - I should take the blinkers off though and judge for myself.

Oh yes absolutely, most of what I've thrown at the TMAs has been dub techno, dubstep and D&B - all of which sounded stunning. I did briefly try some Velvet Underground but only lasted a minute or so of one track... so the TMAs will know their place around here :pac:

Shush! I blame the 12 hour shifts! ;/

Ha yeah I read that - just after I bought my set on Monday morning, I was sitting at the departure gate wondering whether I'd be like a big kid and open my new toy - I decided against it so went with reading up reviews for them on the iPhone :D

Yeah I love that, they really put effort into creating a story around the cans.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Yeah I love that, they really put effort into creating a story around the cans.
    And it gives them scope for the follow up TMA-2 and the retro TMA-0 :D

And it gives them scope for the follow up TMA-2 and the retro TMA-0 :D

I need to read these books.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2tek

Just rang the airport now and they are out of stock..wonder how such a sweet deal passed me by :( shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

LaVail wrote: »
    I own a pair of sony MDR-7509HD's

Don't know about them being the best headphones ever but they're pretty good none the less.

Yeah, I still use my Sony MDR V700 from 10-12 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement