Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragonflies and Damselflies 2010

• 27-05-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

I'd love to have great intentions for this thread, giving identification pointers etc, but time will not permit this type of indulgence. Instead I'll start this, hopefully as encouragement for you to notice these stunning creatures and refer back to here with any queries.
    I'll add photos, but I use a compact point and shoot camera, so quality will be suspect, but I'll mention diagnostic features.
    Usefull website DragonflyIreland

I have 5 species on the wing at my pond at moment. Here are a couple.

Pyrrhosoma nymphula Large Red Damsel Large Red Damselfly
    3F80D9667CFD4999A500F6D1B1295826.jpg
    B74D169AEA644B2B909602F883803527.jpg
    The only red coloured damselfly recorded in ireland. Widespread and found at nearly any watery habitat from bog pools, to lakes, to rivers to garden ponds. It is larger than the "blue" damselfies and smaller than the demoiselles.

Libellula quadrimaculata Four spotted Chaser
    Medium sized dragonfly unlikely to be confused with any other species fund in Ireland. The only species with a spot in the middle of each wing. Found at a wide range of habitats including bogs, ponds, canals etc. They rest on perches overlooking their territory and the flight includes much hovering with quick darts in between.
    729DCDAC15ED4C7CA243A0823D169213.jpg
    F638944BB6444CD086E84FCDE01AD124.jpg

You may notice 2 English names for the Large Red damselfly. There has been a recent movement to standardise english names across Europe. This has meant a change to a number of the common english names.
    This page has the Irish list with old and new vernacular names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nice one, I love these too. Here's a photo I took of a Large Red Damselfly taken last year on 1st June in Mount Usher Gardens, probably not far from you.
    ma9ija.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I’m giving an insight into the blue damselfly species here. Get these cracked and you’re well on the way to identifying most species.

The are 6 blue damselfly species in Ireland.
    Ischnura elegansCommon Bluetail Common Blue-tailed Damselfly
    Ischnura pumilioSmall Bluetail Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly
    Enallagma cyathigerumCommon Bluet Common Blue Damselfly
    Coenagrion lunulatumCrescent Bluet Irish Damselfly
    Coenagrion puellaAzure Bluet Azure Damselfly
    Coenagrion pulchellumVariable Bluet Variable Damselfly

4 of these are common and widespread and can all occur together at same site. Crescent Bluet Irish Damselfly is local in northern half of Ireland and Ischnura pumilioSmall Bluetail Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly is widespread but very local.
    What complicates making identifications is that males and females usually differ within a species , there are various colour forms within many species and colour changes from newly emerged adults to when they are mature.
    For now I’ll deal with males of the 4 common species
    I’ve highlighted the critical areas to look at in this photo. I’ll refer back to them regularly. The numbers are the segments of the abdomen(tail)EE68483F677944D7B7A4E99D8839F804.jpg

I have photos of Common Bluetail, Azure Bluet and Common Bluet. Variable Bluet is an irregular visitor to me garden and I haven’t seen one yet. It is abundant a mile away though so I may get a photo.
    I’ll start off with Ischnura elegans Common Bluetail Common Blue-tailed Damselfly
    Main feature is that segment 8 is blue with rest of abdomen black. Both sexes can appear like this though some females have a a brown segment 8.
    861BDB5900434E1C8F50524F85CA19F1-800.jpg

Unfortunately you can't assume that a single blue segment is this species because Small Bluetail is similar. In this species segment 9 and part of segment 8 is blue. It is a smaller light species. See photo
    All of the following are various form of Common Bluetail. There are 2 photos of one in which the wings did not inflate successfully and the wings have hardened deformed. It'll never fly. The 2 stripes on side of thorax can be seen.

9786C7060D1947FA8B47BB0B8D5C3C50.jpg
    4E4AF64257214896BD90E17A4F1ED6AB.jpg
    A596631F8C7043DA848C047B9AE01531.jpg
    8E0A8C2DFBE44FCB9D6B5E72326149E3.jpg

Enallagma cyathigerum Common Bluet Common Blue Damselfly
    Segments 8 & 9 blue but can contain bits of black. Single strip on side of thorax and a club shaped marking in segment 2. The 2nd photo shows a male recently emerged (Teneral) It doesn't have the blue colour yet. This takes a few days after emergence.

C2025238E561454BB669785B924474A3.jpg
    61667ABB3B404E2B861810693FA60CE4-800.jpg

Coenagrion puellaAzure Bluet Azure Damselfly
    2 stripes on side of thorax, u shaped marking in segment 2 and segment 8 and much of segment 9 blue.
    5443439363A0418BB44D33BF15E39883.jpg

Pair of Azure Bluet in tandem
    251D216DB5AE496DB56111475D778533-800.jpg

Another pair in tandem and an exuvia can be seen on leaf on left. An exuvia is the left over larval skin from which the adult emerges.
    D5E2E6463F6440ECA0912C245438CC40.jpg

Another male Azure Bluet, but the colours have not matured yet
    EB524E255AA54469A8C2E4956B8DFC12.jpg

Coenagrion pulchellumVariable Bluet Variable Damselfly
    I don't have photos of this species, but see photo here
    Its main features are
    2 stripes on side of thorax, a wine glass marking (u with a stem) in segment 2, narrow or even broken antehumeral stripes, Segment 8 and a small part of segment 9 blue.

Coenagrion lunulatumCrescent Bluet Irish Damselfly
    I've never seen this species
    See details and photos of this species on the dragonflyIreland website

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Here's one I got last year by the river Lennan, Ramelton, Co.Donegal. Don't know much about them but they are very striking to see flying around the river bank.
    4273713731_3f68f855fe_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Some nice shots and info there Mothman , here's another Red ( i think) from Tacumshin Co Wexford last summer.
    Regards Tom.

muckish wrote: »
    Here's one I got last year by the river Lennan, Ramelton, Co.Donegal. Don't know much about them but they are very striking to see flying around the river bank.
    Banded Demoiselle.

There are 2 Demoiselle species. They are the largest damselfy species in Ireland. Both are river species, Banded breed in muddy beds and Beautiful Demoiselle in pebble or sandy beds. They can occur together where both types of river beds exist adjacent to each other. Both have tinted wings. Banded as in the photo, Beautiful has all its wings tinted. The tinting applies to males only.

Banded is country wide, Beautiful southern half

• Advertisement

Cardynal wrote: »
    Some nice shots and info there Mothman , here's another Red ( i think) from Tacumshin Co Wexford last summer.
    Regards Tom.
    This is Ruddy Darter. It is a Dragonfly and rests with its wings open. All of the above pictures are damselflies and they rest with wings closed or slightly ajar.

There are 2 red species of Darter that are resident. Common and Ruddy. Sometimes can be difficult to tell apart. Ruddy has slightly shorter abdomen that is slightly pinched. It is usually more red in colour.
    A foolproof way of separating them is that Ruddy Darter has black legs, Common Darter has yellow stripes on legs. These stripes are not really obvious, but they make the legs not black.
    Apart from the legs, the above applies to mature males. Females and immatures of both species are generally yellow in colour. Both species are late summer species though can be on the wing in June.

Mothman wrote: »
    This is Ruddy Darter. It is a Dragonfly and rests with its wings open. All of the above pictures are damselflies and they rest with wings closed or slightly ajar.

There are 2 red species of Darter that are resident. Common and Ruddy. Sometimes can be difficult to tell apart. Ruddy has slightly shorter abdomen that is slightly pinched. It is usually more red in colour.
    A foolproof way of separating them is that Ruddy Darter has black legs, Common Darter has yellow stripes on legs. These stripes are not really obvious, but they make the legs not black.
    Apart from the legs, the above applies to mature males. Females and immatures of both species are generally yellow in colour. Both species are late summer species though can be on the wing in June.

Thanks for that , plenty of these guys around that day , would this be a female ?.

Thanks for that , plenty of these guys around that day , would this be a female ?.
    I've just looked at your first one again and its a female! A very red one. The anal appendages at the tip of abdomen are different between sexes.

The 2nd one is also a female but I'm not sure it isn't a Common Darter. I'm trying to see if the legs are pure black or whether there is yellow on them.

One from today Hairy Dragonfly (i think)

It is, a male. Female have yellow instead of blue along abdomen.

Emperor Dragonfly are on the wing now, keep your eye out. They're just emerging so I don't expect any to be holding territory for a couple weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

One from the river Liffey today
    Four spotted chaser
    P5301929.jpg
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Jeez, what a great shot of the Chaser!

I only snapped a red over the last week as I was interested in butterflies on the wing in the sand dunes at Sheskinmore, Donegal, and was hoping to see marsh fritillaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I saw some damselflies in Co. Leitrim today, they had the most amazing electric blue body, wish I had have had the camera with me..

when do the dragonflies start to appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

nice shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Need some identification help for my garden Damselflies
    rsh3md.jpg
    Took this one last week

6ftdg2.jpg
    This one from today I'm certain it's a Beautifull Demoiselle (male), took through telescope.

Took this one last year not too sure what it is?
    30t575l.jpg

Thanks for help (hopefully)

The 3
    Female Large Red Damsel/Large Red Damselfly
    It is Beautiful demosielle
    and last one is a female Common Bluetail/Common Blue-tailed Damselfly

Thanks Mothman for that just one last one.
    Is this a female Banded Demoiselle? (from last year)

33bllhy.jpg

Does the female large red damselfly stay that colour the whole time?

The demoiselle is either one or the other. Its quite hard to tell females of Beautiful and Banded apart and I can't do it from photos. Beautiful has brownish wings, whereas Banded has slightly greenish wings.
    But by the time the photo goes from being taken via processing at your end to screen at my end, the chances of me seeing what was the actual colour is slim.
    Add in that the tinting gets stronger as the specimen ages...it alladds up to me not identifying females of these 2 species from photos.

about the Large Red, I have good photo (for me) of a pair which I'll upload sometime, but she won't change much. There are different forms with varying amount of red on abdomen but the all black abdomen as in yours and the one in my photo atays this way. The eyes may get more red and the may be a hint of red at very end of abdomen where it is currently pale.

Large Red + Common blue together.

I have an Blue Emperor Emperor Dragonfly in control of my pond today. Quite early for a mature specimen. Usually they start to emerge about now and it takes 10 days or so to mature.
    You know what most of my photos are like, but you get the idea of apple green body (thorax) with a blue tail (abdomen). Ireland's largest dragonfly.
    59275C63E6F24F42A29E01B8C76C8317.jpg

I said I had photo of a pair of Large Red in tandem.
    527C5E32AC4C477F97541DF7D280A7D4.jpg
    0BE331BE575D489AA031BFCF4B9B694C.jpg

Also a pair of Azure Bluet in cop.
    The sperm is being transferred. Before this the male has already passed the sperm from near end of his abdomen to under his second segment.

2DFBC5BCB5FC4260B507794FE72513A5.jpg

A damselfly emerging
    95631535C03F4CD3952389A7AD0A3E30.jpg

and 45 minutes later, the abdomen is not fully extended yet. Basically fluid is pumped into wings to inflate them, then the fluid drains out into the abdomen and the wings dry out.
    DE3DD3ADB0EB4147A9080510CA1E4368.jpg

• Advertisement

It is utter mayhem at the pond today, would put Dublin Airport to shame :D

About a dozen Emperor Dragonfly
    c 30-40 Four-spotted Chaser
    Common Darter are now emerging
    Throw in a handful of Hairy Hawkers
    100s if not Thousands of Blue Damselflies, Common Blue, Blue-tailed and Azure and its likely there's be the odd Variable amongst them
    Some Large Red Damselflies

I've rarely seen it so busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So when are you going to start offering tours and charging admission, I'd love to visit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Mothman..... would also like to visit and take some pics of these beauties !!

Ok, I'm on for that. It would be nice to have a small group. One issue with this is that dragonflies are sun creatures though if its still warm enough then they'll be in the air.

Anyone interested, please pm me and we'll see if we can get a small group. :)
    <
    my location

Mothman wrote: »
    Ok, I'm on for that. It would be nice to have a small group. One issue with this is that dragonflies are sun creatures though if its still warm enough then they'll be in the air.

Anyone interested, please pm me and we'll see if we can get a small group. :)
    <
    my location
    Can I rob some dragonfly nymphs for my ponds? I only have damselflies in my garden. I've only ever seen one common darter ever in my garden:mad:

(only joking about the robbing of course:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Large Reds laying eggs. Very interesting thread, Mothman. :)

4663158073_fc5db8a883.jpg

Nice shot there Angus.
    With most damselfly species, the male keeps hold of female while she lays. This prevents others males coming in to replace his sperm. With some species the female may even go underwater to lay, sometimes for as much as 30 minutes. Usually the male will let go if this happens.

And Feargal, I've seen it so often myself, but I am a believer that ifthe habitat is right then the dragonflies will find your pond and from what I've seen of it I would exepect other species to use it. And they may already have.....but not noticed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Inspired by this thread I went in search of dragonflies and damselflies :)

Azure Bluet I believe?
    ABAA3836D88041399BA0FF3FB5A310E0-500.jpg

And ???

0C7316AB429A408CBC4562F1BD4782AC-500.jpg

I really really want a macro lense.

This one is a male Enallagma cyathigerum Common Bluet Common Blue Damselfly
    Note, segments 8 & 9 all blue, single stripe on side of thorax. The black at end of abdomen is segment 10. I've just noticed I mislabelled this species when I was going through all the blue species in an early post. :o
    ABAA3836D88041399BA0FF3FB5A310E0-500.jpg

And ???
    I had to look carefully. A female, Single stripe on side of thorax ruled out Variable and Azure Bluet. So it was down to either Common Bluetail or Common Bluet and looking at the end of abdomen and the shape of spine underneath I believe it is Common Bluetail Ischnura elegans I not quite 100% sure it isn't the other though, but I would expect a more obvious spine if it was Common Bluet. Perhaps do a search using scientific names and compare pics. (I haven't done this cross referencing)
    0C7316AB429A408CBC4562F1BD4782AC-500.jpg

Delighted this thread is giving inspiration :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I think this is a female blue-tailed damselfly. :)

This summer has been good for damselflies so far.

4714851691_fd44188ac5.jpg

Advertisement