Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to propose in New York

• 22-10-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi

I am going to New York in December and would like to propose to my girlfriend.
    Has anyone any suggestions where to do it and what time of day would be best.
    I have looked into The rockerfella plaza and the empire state, statue of liberty etc.
    Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Battery park is nice! Quiet with a magnificent view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Central Park,get horse and carriage ride

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep, central park for sure. Oh how nice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robbiepower77

central park for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I second the suggestion of Battery Park - Unbelievable view of the water down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 tkam2014

This is like my dream proposal but I would want smack in the middle of times square !

tkam2014 wrote: »
    This is like my dream proposal but I would want smack in the middle of times square !

ugh no. Although someone famous did that recently. Not my favourite part of new york

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

If its December then you really need to do it at the ice rink under the huge New York Christmas tree , it's really beautiful there at Christmas .

moonshadow wrote: »
    If its December then you really need to do it at the ice rink under the huge New York Christmas tree , it's really beautiful there at Christmas .

I wanna go now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Top of the Empire state for sure, avoid the Statue if Liberty. The q's are ridiculous and you can't go inside it anymore since 9/11

• Advertisement

Top of the Empire state for sure, avoid the Statue if Liberty. The q's are ridiculous and you can't go inside it anymore since 9/11

I would say to avoid the empire state also. Big queues and overpriced. Least it was in 2000 which is a while ago now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Oh please Sooooo Overdone, don't do it,

Battery park or ice skating,

At least it's more original

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tkam2014

this is the one !!!! amazing ! do it , do it now !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

meself, I did it in front of the Rockafeller Christmas tree ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I see that a couple of years ago.. i think you can buy different level of packages
    The chap who did it had the rink cleared and did it in the middle with a huge audience! she said yes..

I second battery park

Or OP you could walk across the brooklyn bridge and do it with the skyline in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

I wouldn't recommend proposing there due to the crowds but you can still go inside you just have to book in advance and there is now a lot of security screening (airport style)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

I was proposed to in Central Park so I'd highly recommend that :D

I'm surprised he still asked considering I complained like a baby about having to walk 15 blocks in the blistering heat (we were already badly sunburned and I had no idea what he was planning) and then I got into a fight with a guy who kept trying to block our way and force us into a horse and carriage ride outside Central Park.

Not my finest moment, but if he's willing to ask me 20 minutes after that fiasco then I figure he's a keeper :D

And I can tell you there wasn't a single sunburn related complaint on the walk back to the hotel afterwards either! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

and they say romance is dead. Not on Boards its not!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Top of the Rockerfeller Centre - less queues than Empire State building and fabulous views of Central Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, what kind of proposal would your girlfriend like? Would she like a proposal with people around or would she prefer it to be more private?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I take it you will be getting the ring in NYC? Lucky lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

my missus always loves Bryant park near enough to times square

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Boat ride in Central Park.. It's romantic, it's private and if she says no you can push her in :P ah, just kidding....
    I really like the boat rides there.
    Maybe not as nice in the cold of December I suppose. Rockefeller Plaza would be my second pick, it's lovely there around Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does it have to be outdoors? It will be ruddy FREEZING in nyc in december. Carriage ride is painfully corny! Go for something less cliched.

How about you take her for a frozen hot chocolate in Serendipity 3 on the upper east side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serendipity_3 That was in a few films, it's a memorable place.

What new york films/tv does she like... bring her to a cafe or landmark from one of those maybe.

Did she like seinfeld? I think Tom's Restuarant is still there up near columbia university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

+1 on Bryant park , love that park

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tease her!

Take her to the top of the Empire State and tie your shoelaces, the top of the Statue of Liberty and find a quarter on the ground, do the carriage ride in Central Park, the ice-skating etc.

Then get a friend to put up a "will you marry me sign/balloons" just inside the hall while you're away so she'll think you've been taking the piss the entire time just to arrive home in a foul mood to a propoasl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

There's an Irish famine memorial near battery park. They pulled up an Irish famine cottage a few yrs back n rebuilt it in new York. Its green quiet n lovely. You could propose there on a little bit of Ireland in new York.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Top of the Rock at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

whodafunk wrote: »
    Top of the Rockerfeller Centre - less queues than Empire State building and fabulous views of Central Park.

Agree!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I proposed in NYC. Had a surprise limo pick us up with her favourite tunes playing for a 2 hour tour of the city with a couple of bottles of bubbly. Dropped us off at Central Park where we visited the imagine mosaic and then went for lunch at the Tavern on the Green. Plan then was a carriage ride followed by ice skating, then up the Empire State and finish the evening in a cosy Italian in the Village.

Plan all fell apart after lunch cause we got a bit pissed for skating and the temps were below -10 so the horses weren't out.

We ended up walking off the drink around central park, looking at the inscriptions on the benches. It was the best part of the day and cost nothing. We did make it up the Empire State and had a romantic dinner which rounded it nicely.

I had no idea when I was going to propose but ended up doing it in the back of the limo as soon as we got in. I just got too nervous and reckoned she'd cop anyway.

I'm just sharing the story to give you an idea. It's a great place to propose. Best of luck and hope she says yes !!

Advertisement