Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRR Martin Attending Shamrokon 22-24th August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Where is it? I can't see an address anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Burlington Road, Dublin, Ireland.

http://www.shamrokon.ie/location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What's a DoubleTree? Is it a building?

Edit, I just googled it, I never heard of that before! It's a hotel from what I can gather.

I thought DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel meant a building called DoubleTree beside the Hilton Hotel! Odd naming convention!

It's what they have called the hotel when they took over it, werid american naming/branding system.
    Shamrockon is talking over the conference center in the hotel for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

So is it going to be a Q and A discussion? Or just a simple, "hi how are you, sign my book, seeya later" thing? Debating heading along!

• Advertisement

There will be panels and discussion about Game of Thrones, so people will be able to ask questions.
    He going to be there for the weekend, had such a good experience at Octocon in 2010 that he wants to come to Shamrokon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

An hours drive away? I think I might just attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It is on Martin's site but the Shamrokon site makes no mention of it.

That cos he is not one of the guests of honour, the site will have them listed but not him cos he's paying to come over and attend himself. Same with Loncon3 which is the weekend before Shamrokon, he's not listed as a guest of honor but is still attending. It has been mentioned on the Shamrokon facebook and twitter account that he's attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Someone please tell him to stay at home and finish the next book!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is it wrong I want both Neil Gaiman and George RR Martin locked up in Chinese sweat shops to finish Sandman Overture and Wind of Winter/A Dream of Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

what is this all about, never heard of it, can someone enlighten me? not sure if it's worth the trip from cork ?

Shamrokon is a Scifi/Fantasy/Horror convention running the 22nd to the 24th of August in the Hilton hotel on Burlington St.

http://www.shamrokon.ie/content/about
    The programme for Shamrokon is still being developed but there will be lots and lots happening during the con. You should expect signings and readings with our Guests of Honour; discussion panels on comics, sci-fi & fantasty stories (young adult, urban fantasy, space opera, horror, epic, everything!), anime, movies, TV and whatever else people want to talk about; filk sessions; games; demonstrations; workshops and whatever else we can cram in. We'll also have a Dealer's Room and an artshow. More detail will appear on the website between now and August 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How much are tickets?

http://www.shamrokon.ie/content/membership-faq
    Rather than buying a ticket to attend Shamrokon, you become a member of the convention. A full membership is needed to attend the convention and to take part in all of the events that will be taking place over the course of the weekend.

Full members are able to attend all of our panels, readings, demonstrations and interviews, to name but a few things that happen over the weekend. They also have access to the dealers rooms, art show and the convention bars (please remember the legal drinking age in the Republic of Ireland is 18).

Full membership is currently 35 rising to 40 on the 1st of August.
    There is a 21s rate of 10 euro people will be asked to bring ID
    and a concessionary rate of 25 for those who are students, pensioners, and benefit qualified individuals
    and Id and proof will be needed at registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Will George RR Martin be signing anything or is it just an appearance/reading from him?

He is going to be there for the weekend, taking part in panels that's as much as I know so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I guess he would also do signing books and the like?
    or maybe having a speech/chat about his books or upcoming stories?

I checked and this is an email sent by one of the chairpersons.
    Although George is not a guest of the convention, he will be attending Shamrokon. I believe he intends to be at the three days of the convention, though his busy schedule could mean he has to miss some of it. We are in discussion with his staff about his participation in the convention program, and we expect him to take part in some panel discussions, and possibly a reading and signing.

There will be numerous authors at Shamrokon, and most are delighted to sign books for attendees.

I hope we'll see you in August.

Regards,

James
    Co-chair, Shamrokon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Is it worrying that Shamrokon is no longer mentioned on his tour/appearances?

They put a statement out

http://www.shamrokon.ie/content/game-thrones-announcement
    Game of Thrones has been nominated for an amazing 19 Emmy Awards (link is external).
    Sadly as the awards ceremony is taking place on the 25th of August,
    G.R.R. Martin must travel back to the USA to attend the awards and will not be attending Shamrokon.

There will still be Game of Thrones programming at Shamrokon and we'll have more exciting news on this soon.

How ever there is still GoT content, with panels and worshops

http://www.shamrokon.ie/content/game-thrones-programe-conjunction-titancon
    http://guide.shamrokon.ie/#prog/tag:Game+of+Thrones

Miltos Yerolemou who played Syrio Forel Aray's Brsavois Sword Tutor will be taking part in the panels

syrio-forel-1024.jpg

and Emma Andrews who is a drapesperson who created most of embriodery and jewlery is running 3 Dothraki Jewellery Workshops over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Cool, thanks for the update. Hopefully he will make an appearance in Ireland again soon!

He may be more likely to be at Titancon in Belfast as he was a guest of honor at Octocon in 2010.

Advertisement