Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suicide and men.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Stickied again for the season that is in it.

Please see our resource directory for a list of numbers that can help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056299528

If you have concerns or are feeling suicidal you can PM turn2me.org through your boards account. Alternatively visit www.turn2me.org

If you need advice to help you find a threapist please see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055169338

1life is a dedicated 24 hour freephone national suicide prevention helpline.
    FREEPHONE 1800 24 7 100 or text HELP to 51444

Console
    Console is a Charity supporting and helping people bereaved through suicide. Helpline 1800 201 890

Aware is a National Support Organisation for People with Depression. They also run local help groups where people with depression and their families meet up.
    Tel 1890 30 33 02

The Samaritans
    helpline 116 123

SuicideIreland.com

Pieta House - The centre for the prevention of self-harm and suicide.

The Black Dog - Self-help site for men and women coping with mental distress.

Grow - Mental Health Organisation which helps poeple who are suffering from mental help problems

Save our Sons and Daughters - campaign to raise awareness of suicide in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I've had three friends commit suicide over the last 8 years or so. Two young men and a young woman. I wept non-stop for ages afterwards. The devastation that their untimely deaths caused their loved ones, their friends and everyone that knew them was unbelievable. Young people, in the prime of their lives. But obviously they were hiding demons that nobody, not even their family or close friends knew.

But the one that will always stick in my mind was the time my best friend attempted to commit suicide. We are living together. Have been for the last 5 years. One of the best housemates you could ask for. I love this guy like a brother.

He broke up with his girlfriend and it hit him really hard. Along with a couple of other things, this just pushed him to the edge. I came home from work one evening. I found him in the kitchen. He had cut his arm open with a knife. The amount of blood was unbelievable. I spent an agonising 15 minutes cradling him in my arms waiting for the ambulance to arrive. He had even left a note for me, begging me to forgive him. Thankfully, the ambulance arrived in time and he was saved.

One of the most numbing experiences of that incident, was when I arrived home from the hospital that night. And I had to mop up the blood from the kitchen floor and clean my best friend's blood off the cupboards, counters and the sink. In something of a bit of symbolism, I broke the knife he'd used and threw it in the bin.

Usually after work, I go for a coffee and a chat with some co-workers, and I don't arrive home until later. For some reason, that day I didn't. I arrived home earlier than usual. Every single day, I shudder to think what I would have arrived home to had I gone for that coffee.

He lost a lot of blood and he nearly died. I couldn't stop crying and feeling so awful for days afterwards.

I remember when he finally arrived home from the hospital, we had a bit of a confrontation. I was crying, and angry at the same time. I called him a 'stupid bastard' and screamed at him about how I would have felt had I arrived home later than I did. He cried and said he was so sorry. I will admit, I went overboard and called him 'disgraceful' and a 'f*cking selfish c*nt' and all other manner of horrible things. I apologised so sincerely for saying that within a few minutes. We hugged it out and just cried and cried.

This guy is the best friend I've ever had and will ever have. We've been through so much together. That moment when I walked into the kitchen that night and saw him is a moment that is burned into my mind forever. I will never forget it.

My friend has gotten a lot better. He's seen a therapist, he's far more open about talking to me and others about what bothers him, he's far happier and it's just wonderful to see. He also has refused to get plastic surgery on his arm. The scar is vivid on his arm. He says that it is a reminder for him. A reminder to never let himself get to that stage again.

My life has been touched by suicide far too often. My best friend is lucky that he's financially in a position to go and see private therapists and get the help he needs. But far too many people are not in a position to pay for much needed mental health services. The above resources are essential.

Despite what I may have screamed in a moment of anger, suicidal people are not selfish, nor are they cowards, nor are they bad people. They need help. They are people struggling with life in a way we cannot begin to fathom and they need our help and our support. They do not need scorn or platitudes about 'Can you not just try to be happy' or some other such sh*t.

For example, would you walk up to a cancer patient and say 'Could you not just try to NOT have cancer?'. Would you f*ck.

Sorry for the long post, by the way. I just got carried away a bit.

Final thought. For anyone who feels suicidal, you are not alone. The people who love you, your friends and your family, are there for you. There are people who can help you. You are NOT alone. Seek help. When you are walking in the dark, groping around to find your way, hold out your hand. For there is a person there waiting to take your hand and guide you to the light. It is not a sign of weakness to look for help. The strongest thing you can do is admit that you need help and to look for it. Please, don't be afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wow. Powerful post JaseHeath. Hopefully your buddy will be ok for the longterm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Wow. Powerful post JaseHeath. Hopefully your buddy will be ok for the longterm

Thanks, Pawwed. It just kinda all came spilling out.

And he's fine now, thankfully. It's been tough. But between the therapy sessions and being able to blow off steam to me whenever he needs, it's helped. Thankfully, he's never down or anything any more really. Times when he is feeling down, he talks about it now. To me or to his doctor or to someone. It's good to talk. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Amica

There's another article on the Journal website today that might be of interest. I can't post the link because I'm a new user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Amica wrote: »
    There's another article on the Journal website today that might be of interest. I can't post the link because I'm a new user

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/male-suicide-rates-five-times-female-ireland-1915621-Feb2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Buk0wski

Mental illness/depression is a hard thing to understand at times.

As a teenager/young adult I was in great health, very physically very fit, succesful in school/college, very good at sport, good network of friends, good with the ladies etc and from the outside I was one of the "last guys" you'd ever think would be thinking about suicide.
    Yet in spite of everything seeming perfect I struggled really badly through prolonged bouts of what I now know to be severe depression all the while smiling to the world.

I suppose we become experts at hiding what is really going on and the smile/happy demeanor is a defence mechanism.

I'm as good now, at 39, as I've ever been but always mindful of the Black dog sneaking up behind me!

Funny thing is now from the outside in the past 4 years I've had to deal with
    *redundancy
    *setting up new business( a struggle)
    *sudden death of my father
    * repeated IVF failures
    * miscarriage
    * My wife diaganosed with cancer of womb
    * Serious health problems with my elderly mother
    and yet I feel better than I did as a young stud. I suppose you never know what is in someones elses head.

Mind yourself gents and take help where and when you can get it. Helping others and talking to select trusted friends/partner are mind medicines along with sport and the outdoors

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A nephew of Mrs Beery is being burried on Wednesday. Was found in work yesterday morning, the day of his 30th birthday. Depressed for 4 years, wouldn't go see someone about it. His gf broke up with him last week. 13 years together. Was the eldest of 8.

There shouldn't be a stigma anymore about talking to someone. Poor guy.

I didn't know the guy really, so it hasn't done anything on me. Bit of a shock I won't see him on my annual visit down south. It's the rest of his house I feel sorry for. And the poor girl that's blaming it all on herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ive given this subject alot of thought over the past 6 year and with 2 attemps. i am not a coward as it takes alot of courage to make such a final decicion like that. i have a 10in scar up arm from the wrist and a stab scar to the stomock. its very hard to do it properly though as its such an un natural act. i wish i could be normal like most people but i cant stop my depression. i have tried everything to change and i keep telling myself if i could just find a new job that would distract me for a while but that is a task in itself in dublin .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iansh please have a look at the resources available in the post above to get the help you need and deserve.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Long February 12 article
    Why Men Are Killing Themselves
    BY FINLAY YOUNG
    http://www.newsweek.com/2015/02/20/suicide-men-305913.html
    It looks at the issue from various perspectives.

I thought this was interesting:
    Suicide jumped up the political agenda in early 2015 when the deputy prime minister Nick Clegg called for an overhaul of how the UK’s National Health Service tackles suicide. He proposed the widespread adoption of a “zero suicides” approach, following a campaign by The Henry Ford Health System, a healthcare provider based in Detroit, Michigan, which decreased the rate of suicide in its patient population by 75% in its first four years. The strategy, which has already inspired a similar approach in Merseyside, includes training all staff in suicide prevention, developing a system for staff to check in with patients by phone, and assigning patients different levels of risk and accompanying protocols. In the past two years, not a single suicide has been recorded at the Henry Ford Health System.

I'm going to be a bit of a devil's advocate here.

Suicide is in a way selfish so in a way with the benefit of hindsight i was selfish. Selfish for not thinking about the people that found me.

Many years ago i went down to the train tracks and sat in the middle of the tracks for hours but being the middle of the night no trains arrived and after several hours of just sitting, literally sitting in the tracks doing nothing i got up and went home saying nothing to no one.

A few months later i took a load of tablets whilst everyone was in bed. My father found me that morning with carpet burns all over my legs and arms from fitting on the floor not long from death. I remained in ICU for 6 days on life support where my parents and family stayed with me for the length i was in and according to nurses the first time they left me was on the 2nd day i'd fully came to.

The reason for my story is to show that i do have a bit of insight on how people feel when doing this but my selfish comment comes from not thinking about the train driver that may have come upon me that night or not thinking it'd be my parents that would have found their son dead. I was told after which i dont think she knows to this day that i know that my mother had to attend counselling for the stress that I'd caused.

I'm not saying that joe down the road that maybe is contemplating something is selfish as what i said earlier I'm speaking about my own experience in hindsight.

To be very honest i still think about doing something and would have absolutely no hesitation if my parents and a few select family members weren't around.

If you've read this far I'll just finish off by saying if your thinking of doing something to yourself,think of your family and friends. You'll be gone and won't know a thing but it'll be them left with the whys, what ifs etc

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A few extracts:
    But however articulate he may have been, Chris never discussed his state of mind with his family. Stephen is convinced that this inability or unwillingness in men of all ages to talk is the key to explaining the huge imbalance in male and female suicide rates.

"He didn't want me to know that he was struggling inside. He wanted me to think that he was coping, that he was strong."

---
    "The major thing that put me off talking to somebody was this idea of weakness. If you couldn't sort your problems out yourself, then you were a weak person."

That perception is central to understanding why men take their lives in such shocking numbers, says Jane Powell, chief executive of the Campaign Against Living Miserably or CALM.

"It's boiled down to the one thing they can be, should be, is strong. And if we're going to add anything to that, it's silent. And the phrase that comes back is to 'man up', to 'grow a pair'.

---
    The number of people who die this way is shocking. There are no easy answers and the conclusion I took away is simple but important. It is summed up in a poster produced by the charity CALM which simply reads - the Strong, Silent, Dead type.

(Irish data)
    Over 1,000 builders died by suicide during recession
    HEALTH 28 APR 2015

Almost half of male suicides during the depths of the recession were of men with a construction or production background, a new report reveals.

http://utv.ie/News/2015/04/28/Over-1000-builders-died-by-suicide-during-recession-36292

A mate of mine took his own life about 9 months ago, and I still can't get my head around it. He was one of the most positive people I've ever met.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

The amount of generalities that surround suicide has always irked me.

Things like:
    - all men are bad at talking about their feelings!
    - Suicide is a cowards way out.
    - Permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    - Didn't think of the people they are leaving behind ,etc.

I think it belittles the issue. To assert that someone hasn't thought long and hard about the effect their actions will have on those around them is ridiculous. They most likely have, and unfortunately they have came to the conclusion that their loved ones would be better without them.

The phrase, a permanent solution to a temporary problem, is banded about. Mental health issues are not just a fleeting thing. They can exist for a life time. Someone may have struggled their entire existence, and eventually feel that they can't go on. Is this a selfish act? Not at all in my opinion. I actually think assisted suicide would benefit a lot of people, however that is a discussion for another day.

The thing I also say to people is this. Try standing on a high structure, on a balcony for example, and imagine jumping off. Really jumping off. It is certainly not an easy thing to do. Now if you imagine how a person must have felt, so that they were in a situation were that feeling was better than the pain they were trying to deal with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Well I don't think all men are bad at talking about their feelings, but I would have thought that the conditioning which makes it difficult for men, in a lot of cases, to express their true feelings, was a factor.

If a woman is upset, e.g. in the workplace, and cries, it's par for the course. It's seriously unusual for guys to do that. A guy crying is a rarity - and there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

To assert that someone hasn't thought long and hard about the effect their actions will have on those around them is ridiculous. They most likely have, and unfortunately they have came to the conclusion that their loved ones would be better without them.

The phrase, a permanent solution to a temporary problem, is banded about. Mental health issues are not just a fleeting thing. They can exist for a life time. Someone may have struggled their entire existence, and eventually feel that they can't go on. Is this a selfish act? Not at all in my opinion. I actually think assisted suicide would benefit a lot of people, however that is a discussion for another day.

The thing I also say to people is this. Try standing on a high structure, on a balcony for example, and imagine jumping off. Really jumping off. It is certainly not an easy thing to do. Now if you imagine how a person must have felt, so that they were in a situation were that feeling was better than the pain they were trying to deal with!
    Really really agree with this.

So sorry to read about your friend Ulysses.

• Advertisement

Well I don't think all men are bad at talking about their feelings, but I would have thought that the conditioning which makes it difficult for men, in a lot of cases, to express their true feelings, was a factor.

If a woman is upset, e.g. in the workplace, and cries, it's par for the course. It's seriously unusual for guys to do that. A guy crying is a rarity - and there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

I know you don't mean to do it, but you have just done exactly what I was saying.

You have just implied that all men bottle up their feelings, and all women are like faucets that are constantly turned on full, pouring every last emotion out.

Life, and people are not black and white!

I know you don't mean to do it, but you have just done exactly what I was saying.

You have just implied that all men bottle up their feelings, and all women are like faucets that are constantly turned on full, pouring every last emotion out.

Life, and people are not black and white!
    You need to quit with the "all" men - nobody is saying anything about "all" men, only you.
    Of the men themselves who find it difficult to express their innermost feelings, it isn't them, it's a prevailing view that it's weird for men to cry. Nobody said "All women are faucets that are constantly turned on full, pouring every last emotion out". Putting words in people's mouths is not helpful.

You need to quit with the "all" men - nobody is saying anything about "all" men, only you.
    Of the men themselves who find it difficult to express their innermost feelings, it isn't them, it's a prevailing view that it's weird for men to cry. Nobody said "All women are faucets that are constantly turned on full, pouring every last emotion out". Putting words in people's mouths is not helpful.

Yeah will do, boss! Sorry I didn't know my comments were so detrimental..Get off the soapbox :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I actually think this is where homophobia actually impacts *all* guys, gay and straight.

There's a terrible fear of being presumed to be "a bit gay" simply for being able to express emotions and I think it's a big barrier in male communication.

I'm hopeful that as the whole gay thing becomes a non issue that it'll actually help all guys to just not worry about letting the emotions out now and then and actually talking.

We've created a society (and I'm talking much broader than Ireland here) where lads are expected to be emotionless automatons, go out and do tough work, never complain, act as cannon fodder for armies and generally just shut up and take it.

Let's not forget than its only a 100 years ago guys suffering from post traumatic stress and serious problems from witnessing horrific scenes in WWI were accused of being cowards and shot or at the very least absolutely destroyed for it.

We've treated men extremely badly, particularly since the Victorian era and I think it's something we tend to overlook a lot because the societal attitudes still cause problems.

I don't actually think there's THAT big a difference between men and women and how they feel about things. We're not two distinct species! It's just that as a bloke we're taught from an early age to be nearly Vulcans !

There's also a tendency to think that expressions of rage / violence are macho and acceptable but you can't dare say you're sad or just need a hug!

American society is much more extreme on this but we tend to take a lot of cultural cues from US media so, what happens there matters here too.

The main thing is you need to be able to talk openly about what's going on in your head. We're not evolved to operate in isolation. If there's no one to talk to, talk to a counsellor or ring one of the helplines but just open up about it.

Going unregged for this, to well known. Depression is a right bsatard.

It hit me when I was 18, ended up in a hospital in Letterkenny. Tried to end it twice, more of a cry for help really. Then I was at my lowest ebb and tried it for real. Was escorted by my dad and three uncles, boxed into the back of a car, back to St Conals in Letterkenny. Was kept there for a month on Librium.

Fast forward to the present day. In my forties, own business, wife and two kids, and I am fecked. Recession killing me literally, head is in turmoil. Depression is never far away. People think I am a moody bollix, they have no idea. Lying here at 4 in the morning, cannot sleep, may just go away by myself for the day thursday, clear the head. I have been to the doctor and he has given me medication for stress and anti d's. He admits he is seeing lots of guys who cannot cope. Busting their backsides trying to provide for their families and getting nowhere fast.

I know multiple people who have killed themselves, I know a train driver who is fecked up because someone jumped in front of him. Its a vicious circle for all concerned. I cut a guy down from a tree who hung himself, could not bare to watch anything like that on the tv since. Guys have an inherent problem expressing themselves, I know I do. I see multiple references to different support groups, if you are in turmoil, use them.

We have to stop this trend. Good Luck everyone.

From today's Irish Independent:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

iptba wrote: »
    From today's Irish Independent:

I was never aware of that service. But i think its good especially for men as we tend to not be the best at talking or expressing our emotions. Been battling with my mental health for 17 years now. Its a long and lonely road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/one-in-three-of-those-killed-in-car-crashes-had-no-seatbelt-on-31453081.html

until its understood how many men use the car to kill themselves statistics like this will be misunderstood

(Article posted on September 7 I think)
    This is the UK's first mental health centre for men
    By Jim Connolly
    Newsbeat reporter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34156025/this-is-the-uks-first-mental-health-centre-for-men

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

iptba wrote: »
    (Article posted on September 7 I think)

Sounds like a good idea. When you consider nearly 80 percent of all suicides are by men its something thats needed in this country as well.

Advertisement