Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

finality wrote: »
    You wouldn't get the marks for that, you have to say it's a series of 3 bases.

A codon by definition is a series of three adjacent bases:

co·don (kdn)
    n.
    A sequence of three adjacent nucleotides constituting the genetic code that specifies the insertion of an amino acid in a specific structural position in a polypeptide chain during the synthesis of proteins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Just got home from the library after 4-5 hours of studying.

Will have to do more tonight, walked home from the library, knackered :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Realistically in Biology they'd give you marks for saying it's a sequence of 3 bases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Could you say a codon of 3 nitrogenous bases? You'd get everything in.

You'd be grand if you left it blank. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

You don't really need nitrogenous but sure might as well throw it in ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Jesus her outlook makes me sick hey. She never stops shouting at my wee brother, ever. She's just a terrible influence, I hope I don't end up like her when I'm older. Def one of the worst parents I've ever seen, objectively. Ugh.

/rant

I can relate to that. :cool: Can't wait to move out! :D Literally like, I've been counting the weeks left until college since around Christmas. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Togepi wrote: »
    I can relate to that. :cool: Can't wait to move out! :D Literally like, I've been counting the weeks left until college since around Christmas. :P

You really enjoy my wee bítching sessions on here don't ya? :P Same hey, I really need a scholarship tho I'd prob hang myself if I had to go to her and ask for money hahah. Applied for the Naughton so we'll see how that works out! How many weeks is it left outta curiousity? :)

You really enjoy my wee bítching sessions on here don't ya? :P Same hey, I really need a scholarship tho I'd prob hang myself if I had to go to her and ask for money hahah. Applied for the Naughton so we'll see how that works out! How many weeks is it left outta curiousity? :)

Lolz, do I?! :P I didn't realise, I think I'm just in the mood for ranting. :D I wanted to try to get enough points for a scholarship at the start of the year, but now there isn't much chance of that. Plus I don't even know how many points I'd need to get one! :cool: Ah, about 14 now, if my calculations are correct. :P

Oh and good luck with the scholarship! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

reznov wrote: »
    A codon by definition is a series of three adjacent bases:

co·don (kdn)
    n.
    A sequence of three adjacent nucleotides constituting the genetic code that specifies the insertion of an amino acid in a specific structural position in a polypeptide chain during the synthesis of proteins.

trip·let (tr p l t)
    n.
    6. Genetics A unit of three
    successive nucleotides in a
    molecule of DNA or RNA that
    codes for a specific amino acid; a
    codon or anticodon.

triplet and codon are synonyms, you can't just give a synonym when asked for a definition.

but yeah, in the exam I'd bet you'd get the marks for just saying "3 bases which code for an amino acid"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

The great Reznov outsmarted! :eek:

Togepi wrote: »
    Lolz, do I?! :P I didn't realise, I think I'm just in the mood for ranting. :D I wanted to try to get enough points for a scholarship at the start of the year, but now there isn't much chance of that. Plus I don't even know how many points I'd need to get one! :cool: Ah, about 14 now, if my calculations are correct. :P

Oh and good luck with the scholarship! :)

I only decided at Christmas I wanted to get a scholarship in fairness. :pac: Pure stress haha, but it would make such a difference! In fairness I've no idea what kinda points I need either, they take your situation into account in the application so I really milked it in the application form, money is very tight at home, cannibalism has been considered on multiple occasions, etc. :D Bolded bit made me lol :P I got this mental image of somebody agitatedly performing differential calculus sums to try and figure out how many days there were :L And he looked like this haha

precisely-thumb.jpg

Martin_94 wrote: »
    The great Reznov outsmarted! :eek:

I guess you could say he was... finally outsmarted :pac:

HoratioYeah.jpg
    OK OK, I take it back :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I actually can't wait for the LC to start , I just want to get it over with and studying is boring won't have to study once their finished. Well at least until you reach college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I actually can't wait for the LC to start , I just want to get it over with and studying is boring won't have to study once their finished. Well at least until you reach college.

I cant wait for the summer :P But it would be an even better summer if I knew I did my best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Got 76% on my second Physics mock from last week.. Thats up from 44% in my first mock! Good to see the hard work is paying off! The teacher said I'm capable of a B1/A2 if I take my time :p Delighted really! :D

finality wrote: »
    trip·let (tr p l t)
    n.
    6. Genetics A unit of three
    successive nucleotides in a
    molecule of DNA or RNA that
    codes for a specific amino acid; a
    codon or anticodon.

triplet and codon are synonyms, you can't just give a synonym when asked for a definition.

but yeah, in the exam I'd bet you'd get the marks for just saying "3 bases which code for an amino acid"

Definition from the back of my book of what triplet is:

Sequence of three nucleotides (codon) in mRNA that specify the order of amino acids in a polypeptide chain.

Codons is in brackets, meaning we can subsititute the "three nucleotides" part with it. I'm not arguing, just do not see why it would be incorrect to state as simply "codon".

I cannot see why you'd be asked to define a triplet, but it was up on the sample paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

If you know what it is yourself and know how to explain it, just explain what it does in your own words. Usually there's room in the marking scheme for explained answers even if you don't hit the keywords, but you might have to use a particular word sometimes to get the marks e.g a triplet is a type of codon with three bases attached to it which attaches to the RNA in protein synthesis. I'd say that'd get pretty much full marks you could throw more stuff in if you felt like you needed it :)

Ugh I know man, total first world problems like but it's so irritating. :P I help as much as I can and I'm studying like 7-8 hours a day, when my mum flips her shít I just calmly tell her if she wants something done she can just ask me and she doesn't have to go burning out her vocal cords over it either. :pac: I'm a super clean person like, I hate living in a dirty house. I don't mind clutter, as long as the stuff causing the clutter is nice and clean. :P But ideally, no clutter, nice and clean = happiness haha. You still living with your mum?

God you sound just like me :eek: ;) Yeah I am, and I commuted to college everyday during term so didn't get away from it once :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I will kill my dad. I had all my stuff ready to start studying, and then I get a phone call to go down to the shop. I was in work from 10 - 2.30. So my entire study day is ruined. I think I'm living with my nana from Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Lads 550 points for a 1000 euro scholorship in DCU is outrageous, not a hope! :(

• Advertisement

@Togepi and @Dwellingdweller talking about scholarships some colleges give out entrance scholarships for students who get over 500 points and some other colleges are 550 points or that and they are worth about €1000......something to think about :rolleyes:

Lads 550 points for a 1000 euro scholorship in DCU is outrageous, not a hope! :(

Damm just got in before me!!!! :mad: ;):p

God you sound just like me :eek: ;) Yeah I am, and I commuted to college everyday during term so didn't get away from it once :(

Bros gotta stick together man. ;) :P Sounds like you should get your own gaff in fairness, be worth the money spent I reckon! :)

560 points in NUIG :mad: More money though so I suppose thats something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

560 points in NUIG :mad: More money though so I suppose thats something.

560 for Trinity too and all you get is fecking book vouchers! Wouldn't mind, but they're only worth something like €300 or so ("only" in comparison to the €1000 you get from other colleges :P)

the full maintence grant was worth €5056 altogether this year, so might be a good thing to look into if you haven't already.

and @Dwellingdweller, its a lot cheaper staying at home, it is a burden I will have to bear :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

500 points for €1000 scholarship in NUIM :D

Jesus there are entrance scholarships everywhere! :eek: Only knew about the NUIM one but that was no good 'cause I'm not going there. Anyone know if there's an entrance scholarship for UL or what the points are for it if there is one? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Are there any scholarships for UCD, no? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

If anybody qualifies for the student grant, you may be eligible for all-Ireland scholarships, 25000 euro worth paid over 4 years I think! Catch-22, you have to do a really good leaving cert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement