Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Embed pdf in an email

• 10-11-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I have been doing news letters for a community group,
    they had wanted them as pdfs.

I have now been asked if I could create an ezine,
    Is there anyway i can embed the pdf in an email instead of attaching it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Can you send a HTML-format e-mail instead? For file size reasons alone I'd imagine bulk sending of PDFs would be completely impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

I would prefer if I could just embed the pdf,
    but if there was an easy way to send it as a html email, i might do that,
    but google isnt being my friend!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've never heard of a PDF embedded into an email - do you mean attached?
    Anyhow, I would imaging that most email clients will not display an embedded PDF.
    Also a received email is read only so there is no benefit to using something like PDF.

HTML formatted emails would be the industry norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

PDF is a total non-starter. I have never heard of it also.

So many emails with rich content are getting that content stripped and/or blocked. Even using more than 1 image per email is less than ideal.

General rule is to keep it as simple as possible, really really simple and link out to any content which is more than basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

As others have said, I don't think there's a solution to have your email simply being a pdf rather than your email having a pdf attachment. I'm guessing if you used a pdf to html converter or output directly to html from your source application that you'd be able to do something along the lines of what you seek - this, simply by sending html mail. But, it won't be exactly the same. Also remember, that not all recipients mail readers will accept html mail, and thus for completeness you should look into how to provide for a text only version also.

Have you had a look at mailchimp which is kinda email marketing? They have a free level of service which might suit if your numbers are smallish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It really depends on your circumstances (for example, how many clients you are sending out to and what image you want to present), but generally I would think that sending a PDF "newsletter" is a very bad idea.

You should check out a mail service like Campaign Monitor (CM), which I'd pick over Mail Chimp (MC). The reporting they provide is fantastic. You have 4 options with a service like CM or MC -

1) Code a newsletter yourself - this can be difficult especially with horrendous mail clients like Outlook 2007
    2) Pay a pro to design and code it (this might cost in and around €150 or more)
    3) Use the newsletter builder tool (not sure how good this is)
    4) Buy a template from somebody who knows what they are at.

Be aware that there are numerous mail clients out there (Gmail, Outlook 2003, 2007, Express, Yahoo, Hotmail, handhelds etc.) and that if you don't code correctly your newsletter wont work correctly. CMinsists that you provide a link to a webversion of your newsletter just in case.

Advertisement