Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

4 days for me after 17 years of beer at home every night.
    this is gonna be the first and only time I give up.Getting great support from all your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

i stopped drinking on may 11 1996#

which, according to this page http://www.soberrecovery.com/sobertime.html

means today is the 5999th day of sobriety for me

good luck to everyone trying to stay stopped.

i know im one of the lucky ones

just getting ready to go to the nerve centre to celebrate...pan pot on the decks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Im on Desporados and few cans of carlsberg right now and its going down well boys, getting a nice aul buzz on now mmmm... WORK HARD PLAY HARDER!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

Im on Desporados and few cans of carlsberg right now and its going down well boys, getting a nice aul buzz on now mmmm... WORK HARD PLAY HARDER!:cool:

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

ya looks like you are a party animal alright, must be a good party your at if all your doing is trolling through boards on a Saturday night well done, WORK HARD PLAY HARDER YA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Hi. I was off it for two months during the summer. Then a couple of weeks ago went for a meal and decided I could handle one. Not a chance turned into another session. Knew then I really wanted off it. Its always made me perform well below in everyday life/work. Im sick of it and the depression that follows! I dont need it and went out a few times sober and enjoyed it. I know that Im going to lose a couple of friends. One in particular, he was my best man and best mate. But the other day I realised everything we ever did together was involving drink. It saddens me that Im going to lose this friend and before Ive suggested sober things to do and it always ended up in pub or he wasnt interested. I have an amazing wife thank God but I have always lied to her and said I could go for ages without drink which I always do. But she knows and has said I can never have just one drink. After years it has dawned on me that not being able to have one means its uncontrollable. Anyway Im going to be posting here hoping to get some support from people on the same boat. Cheers and sorry bout the long message!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Well done, and good decision. Wish I could do the same myself. I'm a weekend drinker but tipple the odd-time during week. Why? God knows. It effects inner-happiness and leaves me in a depression half the week...one day...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

How cool are you?...poor taste in beer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

tony stark wrote: »
    Hi. I was off it for two months during the summer. Then a couple of weeks ago went for a meal and decided I could handle one. Not a chance turned into another session. Knew then I really wanted off it. Its always made me perform well below in everyday life/work. Im sick of it and the depression that follows! I dont need it and went out a few times sober and enjoyed it. I know that Im going to lose a couple of friends. One in particular, he was my best man and best mate. But the other day I realised everything we ever did together was involving drink. It saddens me that Im going to lose this friend and before Ive suggested sober things to do and it always ended up in pub or he wasnt interested. I have an amazing wife thank God but I have always lied to her and said I could go for ages without drink which I always do. But she knows and has said I can never have just one drink. After years it has dawned on me that not being able to have one means its uncontrollable. Anyway Im going to be posting here hoping to get some support from people on the same boat. Cheers and sorry bout the long message!!!!!
    In in a similar situation man,
    Used to think I van leave it at one or two bottles of beer but I just can't.
    This thread is like a support network I feel,I read posts and it motivates me to just quit this menace drink.
    Like yourself I have lost a few mates,missed stags and crazy nights out but for the first time in a long time I am thinking clearly.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

Good luck to all the people just starting. Bottom line is if drink is having a very negative effect on your life and your family you more than likely have and always will have a problem with drink. But acceptance is the hardest part, for me drink was everything to me. I needed it for nearly every aspect of my life in the end. Family bereavement go to the pub, broken relationship go to the pub, broken friendship go to the pub, celebration go to pub, bad day in work go to the pub etc. The list is endless but it turned on me in the end and I hated it but I couldn't stop myself doing it. Literally couldn't go 2-3 days without getting wasted. That isn't even near full spectrum alcoholism, there are a lot of not yets that I am glad haven't happened but they will eventually if I go back to that ****. That's all I remind myself. Again good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

It will be 9 weeks this coming weekend.

Ive stopped for a few weeks/months at a time before.

With out a doubt the two best things for me about not drinking are the sleep and the amount of energy i have.

I have no trouble falling asleep and when i do its like im in a coma,i can get by on 5 hours sleep a night and wake up refreshed.

It amazing the amount of energy i have as well - i used to be wrecked until Wednesday after a hard weekend of drinking and spend a few days trying to catch up on sleep.

I would recommend people who are drinking often to even just give it a break for a few weeks and see how better you feel,and catch up on some proper sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    It will be 9 weeks this coming weekend.

Ive stopped for a few weeks/months at a time before.

With out a doubt the two best things for me about not drinking are the sleep and the amount of energy i have.

I have no trouble falling asleep and when i do its like im in a coma,i can get by on 5 hours sleep a night and wake up refreshed.

It amazing the amount of energy i have as well - i used to be wrecked until Wednesday after a hard weekend of drinking and spend a few days trying to catch up on sleep.

I would recommend people who are drinking often to even just give it a break for a few weeks and see how better you feel,and catch up on some proper sleep!

I stopped for 3 weeks recently but fell off the wagon again. I'll give it another go soon. You are so right, you feel way younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

18 months now :)

Definitely like having more money, and feel healthier. Haven't missed anything social as a result thankfully. I recently left a nightclub at 2 a.m. and was surprised how NICE the air hitting me was, rather than how much more drunk and sick it made me feel. I then drove home in 20 minutes, and straight to bed. Up the next morning clear headed and alert. It actully felt great!

Best of luck anyone else having a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 palladia

After 2 extremely dangerous personal incidents involving alcohol in less than 5 months I have decided enough is enough and have quit alcohol entirely from yesterday. I suppose here is a good place to track my progress :-)

2.5 million deaths and almost 70 million serious illnesses/diseases related to alcohol EVERY YEAR in the world. I have absolutely no idea why this drug is so openly promoted and regularly used and why it is even legal but personally it's not for me (any more) hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Best of luck, Palladia. There's lots of advice on these pages for your journey but to me the most important in the early stages is keep busy. Fill your time so there are no vulnerable gaps where doubts (and urges) might creep in.

One week and feeling better already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 palladia

hubba wrote: »
    Best of luck, Palladia. There's lots of advice on these pages for your journey but to me the most important in the early stages is keep busy. Fill your time so there are no vulnerable gaps where doubts (and urges) might creep in.

Thank u and continued luck to yourself too. In relation to your point I did only drink around once every 2-3 months so filling the time shouldn't be too much of a problem. It just always ended up horrifically (ambulances called, blackouts, fights, etc but I won't go into that here) still not 100% sure of the forum rules.

Thanks for the advice though and I would love to chat to others going through similar and hear about your experiences.

One week and feeling great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

ronan45 wrote: »

I would imagine so, beer is loaded with carbs, not to mention the ****e you eat while under the influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

6 months today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

7 years and 10 months all thanks to Allen Carrs book. Just have to kick the Moro bars now !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

7 years and 10 months all thanks to Allen Carrs book. Just have to kick the Moro bars now !!!!!!!

Well done on that,that's brillent,maybe you could share some of your sucessfull tips in helping others here in our continued fight against this addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

realies wrote: »
    Well done on that,that's brillent,maybe you could share some of your sucessfull tips in helping others here in our continued fight against this addiction.
    Refer to my post #13 on Which Allen Carr book ? thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Always been a regular drinker, the missus as well. Two young kids though means most of our drinking is at home. Mainly wine at the weekends..

Anyway a rare night out at a 40th ended up in a three day hangover. It wasn't pretty at all.

so I actually DID knock it on the head, 1 month now. Mrs gift still has a tipple but im just not into it, maybe I'll go back for Christmas but right now its not a big deal to me .

Lost a little bit of weight too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done giftgrub' if you can even slowly cut back on your consumption it will help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

2 years and 2 months...........................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

1 week so far, nearly got sucked in today but circumstances prevented it thank god. Really want to finish the month out sober at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

1 year and 3 months.

Advertisement