Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your opinion please? A5/335

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

If you manage to get a discount of 3,00.00 on a new A5 it would be pretty good.Perhaps you could use it as a barganing tool against a 335.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

38psi wrote:
    If you manage to get a discount of 3,00.00 on a new A5 it would be pretty good.Perhaps you could use it as a barganing tool against a 335.

That would be great, but it would have me worried about the resale value, if they are discounting premium badge cars that are barley on the market(and there should be a good demand for them), what will it be like in a few years? I just think for them to be giving discounts straight away on a desirable badge like Audi(and on a diesel Audi at that) means they dont think they will sell too many.

Or do they always discount new Premium cars instantly? If yes, then theres nothing to worry about then obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

One thing to bear in mind when everyone says "The A5 is rare". It's only just out. A4's are littering the countryside, there's no reason why the A5 won't be all over the place in another year too.
    Anyhoo... style over substance? I'd go substance!
    Did you drive the 335Cd yet? Or the 335Ci (non convertable!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

My thoughts:

Don't buy the 335i with flappy paddles. They're rubbish on most cars. Manual will hold its value better anyway and be much more fun.

M5/RS4 - savage cars but you cannot compare them to a Beamer Coupe. It's the styling that you're forgetting. Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge fan of both cars...but you would have to compare a second hand E46 M3 to the 335i for a proper alternative. Personally if I had 70k burning a hole in my pocket I'd be very tempted by the silky smooth power of the 335 which is less about ripping your head off and more about smooth power with coupe good looks. But I'd probably be swayed by a 60k low mileage second hand M3. Also...whilst I love the E46 looks (I own a 325Ci) I can't help loving the new shape coupe (and the 5 series for that matter)...so it would be a tough decision.

M5 is about murdering as many baby wabbits on the back roads as you possibly can!! That and practicality for some small people in the back seat.

Finally...I can never fully get my head around the idea of a diesel coupe. On a 5 series I get it. But on what is supposed to be a swish looking sports coupe a diesel just ruins the experience. I love these cars because of the beautiful silky engine grumble you get from a straight 6...I don't wanna listen to dakka dakka dakka didakka...dakka dakka dakka didakka all day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

CarLover wrote:
    My thoughts:

Don't buy the 335i with flappy paddles. They're rubbish on most cars. Manual will hold its value better anyway and be much more fun.

The paddles come as standard with an auto box on the 335i - I have to disagree with you about the manual too, on a car worth 70+ and a car like a BMW coupe, auto is essential IMO. Can you imagine for arguments sake, driving into a BMW dealer about a trade in with your 335i and telling them it's manual :)

E92 - Audi always have good margins hence the discounts available but this is all speculation, we don't even know what sort of discount is available to joe punter on them really so it might be less than usual due to demand.

I agree there's a lot of A4s on the road but there's more 3 saloons. ;)

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote:
    The paddles come as standard with an auto box on the 335i - I have to disagree with you about the manual too, on a car worth 70+ and a car like a BMW coupe, auto is essential IMO. Can you imagine for arguments sake, driving into a BMW dealer about a trade in with your 335i and telling them it's manual :)

Have to strongly disagree...

On a 5 series auto is a must. Not the 3 series coupe.

Have a look at what HonestJohn says...here's a few snippets. You'll regret the autobox.
    Coupe is a drivers car - most people will want manual come trade in time. Same rule applies with E46 coupe.
    "Possible autobox software problem on 335i autos. Specifically, "When in manual the default position is always 2nd gear which suggests it is the same in drive. Then when accelerating from low revs the car stutters and jerks, again as if it is trying to find 1st gear." Further report of judder from automatic transmission on a 320i."

"The cars all come with a standard 6-speed manual transmission or a new 6-speed automatic with ergonomic thumb and fingertip steering wheel shifters"

"But the 6-speed manual is the real peach. That allows you to exploit the creamy smooth power delivery exactly the way you want to without the box changing gear half way round a corner. It’s a lovely, precise shift, allowing easy block changing and the whole car feels beautifully balanced, its informative steering telling you exactly which of the four wheels is close to or slightly past its limits of adhesion. 6th gives you a relatively relaxed 36mph per 1,000rpm cruise too, and a theoretical top speed of 182mph at 5,000rpm with the restrictor off."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=244

I would go with the auto no questions. The paddle shifters are very user friendly and give you a whole new driving experience. Demand for the manual 335i will be very low IMO.

I also think an Auto box is a must - although it is a type of car that should be a manual(even though I'm the person saying that it should be an SE version, which is hardly the sporty model), I think there will be a select few that will want a manual 335i when the time comes to selling it.

And definately the Audi should have an Autobox.

People want Autoboxes on cars like these. They pay for themselves come resale time.

All the 335is for sale on Carzone are Automatic.

Interestingly most of the E46 330is are manual though.

Can you imagine though, buying a 550i, with a manual gearbox? Now that would be a recepie for disaster:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

the 335i is the only new BMW i've seen recently that has impressed me in styling terms alone. BMW's bland new cars are becoming too common and don't stand out, i've seen waaay too many 645's and i'm sick of them, where the 335i would make me take a second look. go for it.

E92 wrote:
    I also think an Auto box is a must - although it is a type of car that should be a manual(even though I'm the person saying that it should be an SE version, which is hardly the sporty model), I think there will be a select few that will want a manual 335i when the time comes to selling it.

And definately the Audi should have an Autobox.

People want Autoboxes on cars like these. They pay for themselves come resale time.

All the 335is for sale on Carzone are Automatic.

Interestingly most of the E46 330is are manual though.

If you're right then people with poor taste are buying these cars. There's 6 335's for sale on carzone...5 of them autos...doesn't prove everyone wants one.

Personally I can't understand the predilection to an autobox on a car like this nor many other cars of this ilk or above. But maybe that's just me...a car like this is meant to be driven...not driven for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i've test driven IS200s in auto and manual. no comparison. people was lyrical about "driver's cars", which any decent BMW should be. automatic gearboxes do not belong in a car whose purpose it pure driving enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BMW
    rather be seen in an audi than that dinky bmw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The BMW because the suspension on all Audis is too stiff.

Been driving this for the last day. 3.0TDI Quattro, 240bhp, 0-100kms in 5.9. Needs an auto box, apart from that, gorgeous car. It's on Carzone for 82 big ones.

277319599a5582907658l.jpg
    277319599a5582907265l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

How does it compare to the S3 in terms of grunt - given the 0-60 times are not much different?

Also it amazes me how the quoted 0-60 time for the A5 3.0TD is quicker than the 335d given the BMW is quite a bit more powerful and I would imagine that the weight isnt that much different. (I did read that the 5.9 quoted time for the A5 was very optimistic tho')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

€82k for that, jeesus, no way could i justify paying that much for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheBazman wrote:
    How does it compare to the S3 in terms of grunt - given the 0-60 times are not much different?

Also it amazes me how the quoted 0-60 time for the A5 3.0TD is quicker than the 335d given the BMW is quite a bit more powerful and I would imagine that the weight isnt that much different. (I did read that the 5.9 quoted time for the A5 was very optimistic tho')
    Autocar could only get 6.4 to 60, which is less than 100kmph it should be noted.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/Audi-A5-3.0-TDI-Quattro/226663/

I think €82k is too much for that A5, especially as you still have to swap cogs yourself. An M Sport 335i is 12 grand cheaper, and an SE is a whopping 15 and a half grand cheaper.

TheBazman wrote:

It's a lot smoother to drive and just be in than the S3. The S3 is a bit more raw in terms of power delivery and driving - while pushing on, the S3 gets a second wind above 4/5K rpm where as the A5 dies off around 5k rpm but in fairness to it, you can rev it a lot in 3rd and 4th for a diesel car.

I didn't time it to 60 but seat of pants it felt quick enough - I have no doubt my S3 is faster but torque just has a way of misleading you when you are sitting there grabbing for gears and you're getting this almightly shove from the torque of the diesel engine, it's almost addictive!! Once on the move, the A5 would keep up with a lot, you've got 369 ft of torque - you just can't ignore that no matter how much of a petrol fan you are.

I have yet to really drive a 335i coupe properly - I'd even gladly be a passenger in one if anyone wants to offer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Gotta say, looking at this, I'd be very very tempted...I was side by side with a metallic grey S5 on Pinnock Hill near the airport the other day and he was keen, but there was too much traffic :D

• Advertisement

I see from another thread you are trying to strike a deal with Duffys for a 335.Is it the silver one ?:D Anyway hope you can get a good deal you will be getting one hell of an amazing car...........:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I see MarkN has his S3 up for sale on Carzone, maybe the deal is nearly done :D:confused::D

The S3 is for sale yep, but I have decided not to go for the one in Duffy's. I suppose salesmens hands can be tied by accountants but the deal wasn't enough to justify getting that car over a fresh one out of the box in Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Funny that, I saw your car up in Duffys on Thursday morning, all the sales people were admiring your car and eps its reg!

So you went for the Bemmer then?

It has more power than the original M5(the E28 one), and the original E36 M3(both of which had 286 bhp, incidentally the same as the 335d)

Well congrats to you. It sounds like a cracking motor then.

That BMW is sitting in Duffys ! I haven't bought it. Can't decide if getting a new one without I drive and Nav in Jan for 3 thou quid extra is better value than getting this one with about 5k off list price. In 3 months that car will be a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

If I were in your situation, I would wait till the new year.

It's just 3 months away.

I just love to know that no one else has owned the car before me. Being the type of car it is, the used car could have been driven hard and not run in properly ect.

Apart from the I drive and Nav, is it the colour you would choose.

And don't forget, you could also reserve a nice plate just like you did on your S3.

iDrive is an absolute pain IMHO, I'd even pay extra to make sure my BMW didn't have that dreaded feature.

I know you have to get it for the sat nav, but why not just buy a tomtom or something like that in Argos or Harvey Normans?

They can be used in any car, they're far cheaper too(than a BMW system), and you don't have iDrive either.

In a way, I kinda like the gadget type idea of idrive - used the Audi equivalent and really liked the idea of being able to mess around with stuff on a screen.

My main concern is how hard the car will be hit in Jan in relation to the price I am being asked to pay for it. I know no car (well very few) will not depreciate but I don't want to be stung.

It is going to cost me another 3 thou or so in Jan to get into a new one than it is going to cost me to change now - the new car would not have the sat nav though. I would more than likely go for silver in it, the rest of the options on the car in Duffys are what I would go for.

The decision making is DOING MY HEAD IN. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

BMW
    Well Mark I've switched me vote to the BMW - amazing car

What options you going for? Presume the M sports pack - you going to upgrade the 18s or leave as is?

Personally there's no way I'd get the car now - extra €3k in Jan for a new one defo (plus cost of sat nav)

I wouldn't bother with the sat nav on the beamer - it really added to the S3's console aesthetics but in the beamer IMHO it doesn't look great, and personally it'd be just a toy I'd have no real use for it

And IMHO the beamer looks great in red/black and the audi in silver

Advertisement