Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

You do know that, PCworld, Dixons and currys are all the same company. And dixons is gone, it is only an online store now. PCworld have the same low prices as currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    You do know that, PCworld, Dixons and currys are all the same company. And dixons is gone, it is only an online store now. PCworld have the same low prices as currys.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I think there is the case for an immediate declaration of war against the Brits because of this.

We could take them on, and at our sides we'd have the support of the Indians, Ivory Coast, two thirds of Italy and a few other tin pot countries with whatever smattering of green, white and gold on their flags. Sure it'd be great craic.

Get over it OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dixons isn't gone, it's the parent company, just for some reason they have decided to give all their high street electronics stores the name of their old washing machine shop that they bought. They do still call the airport shops Dixons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

robinph wrote: »
    Dixons isn't gone, it's the parent company, just for some reason they have decided to give all their high street electronics stores the name of their old washing machine shop that they bought. They do still call the airport shops Dixons though.

No, dixons is gone.

DSG is the parent company, for ireland its DSGi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSG_International_(retailer)

I think the OP was in such a huff because its not as such the irish flag that they 'defaced', but more the "irish" colours.
    Or to be more exact the colours that represent the irish flag.

The idea that the colours of ireland being superimposed on something which is instantly recognisable of the british is i think what he was getting more píssed off at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

obriend wrote: »
    Whos OP ?????

Classic!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

C-B-G wrote: »
    No, dixons is gone.

DSG is the parent company, for ireland its DSGi.

LOL. What do you think the D in DSG stands for?

After 20 odd years do you think there is any point in changing it?
    Dixons exists in theory.

The new advertisement is being discussed on fm104 at time of posting. So the advertisement does work, people are talking, negative or not, the name is out there, the deals are being broadcast to Dublin.

Only the oh ah up d ra people are having the problem.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL. What do you think the D in DSG stands for?

Dixons?

Well then why is it abbreviated in DSG and not recognised as DixonsSG?

Dixons as a trading shop is gone.
    Except obviously from the Dixons travel in airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

After 20 odd years.....

This thread has been going on quite a while at this stage, hasn't it?

• Advertisement

Viva la dixons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Just heard them debating this topic on FM104 with Adrian Kennedy.....not as if he gets the topics for his show off boards or anything...............

It started with some dyslexic dub knacker calling in.

"I dont like it.... It not nice. Ehrm...booooooo, I need a tv, i wonder if currys in newry is cheap. I hear its the same down here, but me no like funny colours in the wrong place!!!"

segaBOY wrote: »
    Just heard them debating this topic on FM104 with Adrian Kennedy.....not as if he gets the topics for his show off boards or anything...............

Now to find the thread about euthanasia! :p

Insert generic FM104 debate here

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

The curry might be cheaper but the chips are dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Shmuck

"I dont like it.... It not nice. Ehrm...booooooo, I need a tv, i wonder if currys in newry is cheap. I hear its the same down here, but me no like funny colours in the wrong place!!!"

you could tell he was dyslexic just by hearing his voice? fair play....

Anyone hear fm104?

Funny stuff.

All the so called "patriotic irish" that was calling in ranting, when they were asked did they ever shop in the north they mumbled a faint "...Yes..." lol.

C-B-G wrote: »
    Anyone hear fm104?

Funny stuff.

All the so called "patriotic irish" that was calling in ranting, when they were asked did they ever shop in the north they mumbled a faint "...Yes..." lol.

Eh if they were real patriots that wouldn't have been a problem-32 county republic and all-was a fairly ridiculous arguement-caught one girl ringing in and her slant was "what age are all of yous...is that caller in his 50s or somethin??"

lol

segaBOY wrote: »
    Eh if they were real patriots that wouldn't have been a problem-32 county republic and all-was a fairly ridiculous arguement-caught one girl ringing in and her slant was "what age are all of yous...is that caller in his 50s or somethin??"

lol

Are you agreeing with me? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I dont mind this at all really.I think its nice that english and Irish can come together like this.Its about time really that this type of thing can happen without any real fuss..well except many of you:(.... seriously though you are always going to have somebody who will be against this.Im just glad to see that the number has decreased over the years.

Shmuck wrote: »
    you could tell he was dyslexic just by hearing his voice? fair play....

feel the awsomeness of my bant! Oh and your toast is ready!:p

obriend wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours. Thquote.gifis has to be some sort of crime against the history of Ireland and its people as they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper. I for one will never buy from curry’s. :mad: Below is the link, if it asks for an e-mail address just enter any letters and it will let you in.

http://img.e-metro.ie/e-edition-ie/A17fo7/Metroire20090430/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-metro.ie%2Fe-metro-ie

They insulted both british and irish by doing this so who was the winning party...on second thoughts, they should have just used a pure irish flag instead of a brit with irish colours! very bad advertising and offensive to many people!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I tried really hard to get offended by this. I watched Michael Collins and the video for Free Lions on the Shirt. I even pictured Maggie Thatcher ****ting on the Irish constitution but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get offended by this. Not even a little bit. Is there something wrong with me? Am I not Irish enough? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Two thirds of Italy is also outraged.

I have to admit that i was a bit taken aback when i saw the ad but its not really our flag thats been defaced, its the union jack.

And yes two thirds of Italy are outraged by this but so too are India, The Ivory Coast and Niger. :D

but the italy flag doesn't have the same shade orange as ireland's!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Me and my family were spitting feathers when this ad came on the other day. The aul boy nearly had a heart attack he was that worked up.

Listening to some of the views on this thread its clear the Irish really haven't a clue when someone is taking the piss outta them and mocking them. Currys may as well have just come out and said "we still have northern ireland na na nana na," and to be honest I would have had more respect for them than this sly, passive aggressive bullsh1t.

I will never be buying anything from them again.

Ha ha ya nearly had me but you're taking the píss right? If you're not you do actually need to consider visiting a shrink with that psychosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

saddo ad that did exactly what they hoped

-got everyone talking about Currys instead of why are we only getting decent prices over a year after sterling went south, that exchange rate seemed to be picked on the most favourable day for them too;)

Don't shop there anyway -couldn't find their branch in Newry
    the weak sterling has done loads for hands across the border:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oh for the love of God, it's a joke people! Why in the name of all that's holy is anyone offended because some marketing executive decided to get out a box of crayons? Am I the only one who actually thinks it's slightly witty?

Not only that, but the flag is either a union jack, or a colourful combination of both. At the very least, two nation's flags are being mocked, which kind of cancels out any maliciousness that some of you seem to have manufactured from your own leftover fecal matter.

Folks, if you can get seriously wound up over this you need your head, and indeed your flag-pattern-identifcation abilities tested.

As the debates over 32-county republics that just don't exist have just started, will someone please lock this bloody thread? :D

• Advertisement

15 pages so far and no one has said if they have wandered into a currys store yet because of it.

I know everyone is talking about it, but has it caused anyone to go in and spend some money, or at least make anyone curious about the prices?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement