Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

• 25-11-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Said I'd post this on the forum rather than in the Cavan thread as Kildare/Leinster people might be interested.

From the local paper here in Cavan:

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/11/23/4007898-johnston-meets-mcgeeney-as-kildare-rumours-intensify/
    Seanie Johnston could be on the verge of a shock switch to Kildare, The Anglo-Celt can exclusively reveal.

It is understood that the Cavan Gaels clubman met with Lilywhites manager Kieran McGeeney the weekend before last to explore the switch.

However, a source in Kildare, who confirmed that the meeting took place, stated that it's "all up in the air" at present.

For full story, see this week's Anglo-Celt.

A number of the national newspapers, such as the Star, have also picked up on this. It'd be very hard for him to transfer however as he works in Cavan town in a secondary school and would have to be living and working in Kildare to be granted a transfer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Secretary of the Cavan County Board has said they haven't been approached about a transfer at all:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=158317
    Cavan secretary Liam McCabe has revealed that rumours over Seanie Johnston's move to Kildare are unfounded.

Speculation that the ace Cavan forward is set to transfer to the Lilywhites has grown in recent weeks, especially since it was announced that the Cavan Gaels player was axed from the county squad, in a surprising move by manager Val Andrews.

However, McCabe revealed that any such move would have to go through the proper channels and as of yet, Johnston has not requested a transfer.

"Any player who transfers must do so by rule," McCabe stressed to the Leinster Leader. "At the moment we (Cavan County Board) have not been approached about this issue."

Johnson would be a great get for Kildare as their lack of scoring forwards is their one major problem.

Brendan Murphy from Carlow who would probably be on a best in the land team is the latest player linked:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=158402

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Does Johnston live in Kildare?
    If not, how exactly does he expect this transfer to be approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Can't see it happening unless the Kildare County Board were to offer him a job or if he were to find other work in Kildare.Think he would be a good addition but I don't think his addition would be as impactful such as winning a Leinster or All Ireland.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Can't see it happening unless the Kildare County Board were to offer him a job or if he were to find other work in Kildare.Think he would be a good addition but I don't think his addition would be as impactful such as winning a Leinster or All Ireland.

They were a kick of a ball away from winning a Leinster last year and he's a serious footballer.

Dublin fans seem to think they've accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year, but there's not much at all between them and Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Kildare were again very close this year to winning something, but again no cigar. I don't want to feed a big Dublin discussion, but no only were they very fortunate to scrape past Kildare, they were very fortunate to scrape past Wexford.

Kildare are always open to the prospect of new players, and always have over the years, so I would say there is some strength to this.

What is the story with Johnston anyway - he isn't being dropped from the Cavan squad because of lack of ability anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

If its in the Star in must be true....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be a bit ridiculous if it happened in fairness. One thing a lad who is not anywhere near his own county panel and is living and working away from home. Seanie Johnston is Cavan's best player (when he on the panel) and as far as I know still lives and works in Cavan. Put that through and you may as well have an open transfer system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would like to think that Dublin fans seem to think they've accelerated away out of sight from every teams, just to fuel my stereotypical view of Dublin GAA fans, but I would of course be wrong

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

What's your opinion on the impact Johnson would have on Kildare's ability to win Leinster?

I'd argue that a scorer of his quality taking the pressure off John Doyle would have gotten Kildare over the line in last year's Leinster SF, and similarly that if the teams were to meet again this year it would be a very tight game with or without Johnson, who would possibly tip the scales slightly in Kildare's favour.

Fixed that for you.

Blackbelt's post subscribed exactly to the attitude that other teams have regressed to well below Dublin's level I suggested was common among Dublin supporters by the way, as did a recent post he made in the Kerry thread in relation to the fairly irrelevant McGrath Cup.

Do you feel Blackbelt's comments are out of left-field compared to most other Dublin supporters?

The previous comment I referred to is quoted for you convenience.
    blackbelt wrote: »
    May be another few years before Kerry win another All Ireland if they continue with this attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What's your opinion on the impact Johnson would have on Kildare's ability to win Leinster?

I'd argue that a scorer of his quality taking the pressure off John Doyle would have gotten Kildare over the line in last year's Leinster SF, and similarly that if the teams were to meet again this year it would be a very tight game with or without Johnson, who would possibly tip the scales slightly in Kildare's favour.

I think you're forgetting the fairly significant difference on the scoreboard when Eoghan O'Gara was sent off!

Any county team getting another high quality forward would be improved no doubt, but I can't see how this can happen.

Regarding the game last year, it was as close as can be. Although I would like to see if it would have been so close had Dublin not unfairly been reduced to 14 men.

I certainly would not be taking Kildare for granted next year, with or without Johnson.

Its all ifs ans pots and pans.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think you're forgetting the fairly significant difference on the scoreboard when Eoghan O'Gara was sent off!

It was a tight game, Dublin were certainly the better team and deserved their win fully dodgy free or no, but Kildare's main problem has been a dearth of scoring forwards in the last few years, particularly last year with Doyle playing at midfield.

Don't forget Kildare have two All Stars coming back into the fold this year that missed the entirety of last season in Peter Kelly and Dermot Earley. Earley's return is particularly auspicious as it will give them the option of releasing John Doyle back into their forward line which makes them a different unit altogether IMO.

I wouldn't rate them as more than the kick of a ball worse than Dublin, with Johnson I think it'd be really close.

Blackbelt's post subscribed exactly to the attitude that other teams have regressed to well below Dublin's level I suggested was common among Dublin supporters by the way, as did a recent post he made in the Kerry thread in relation to the fairly irrelevant McGrath Cup.

Do you feel Blackbelt's comments are out of left-field compared to most other Dublin supporters?

The previous comment I referred to is quoted for you convenience.

You have posted one Dublin fans opinion on Kerry.
    I was arguing against the point that you made saying Dublin fans (indicating a general perception as opposed to one persons view) think the team have "accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year".

This is simply not true. There may be a handful with this opinion, as there would in any country who just won the All Ireland, but that's it.

Any county team getting another high quality forward would be improved no doubt, but I can't see how this can happen.

Regarding the game last year, it was as close as can be. Although I would like to see if it would have been so close had Dublin not unfairly been reduced to 14 men.

I certainly would not be taking Kildare for granted next year, with or without Johnson.

Meh, I wouldn't be complaining about poor refereeing decisions in that game if I were a Dublin fan tbh.

You have posted one Dublin fans opinion on Kerry.
    I was arguing against the point that you made saying Dublin fans (indicating a general perception as opposed to one persons view) think the team have "accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year".

This is simply not true. There may be a handful with this opinion, as there would in any country who just won the All Ireland, but that's it.

I would suspect Blackbelt's views are a fair reflection of a great many others'.

You can take it as a given that nobody ever means every single individual with any statement, usually that doesn't need to be explained to non-pedants.

Meh, I wouldn't be complaining about poor refereeing decisions in that game if I were a Dublin fan tbh.

This decision dramatically changed the game, as soon as it happened Kildare began to control the game.

I would suspect Blackbelt's views are a fair reflection of a great many others'.

Suspect all you want, or on the other hand try talking to Dublin fans on this topic and get this ACTUAL opinion rather than the opinion you would like to believe is true.
    As a Dublin fan who has spoken to a great many other Dublin fans, I can assure you we do not think like you would like us to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Off course it can happen, same way as the Dublin hurlers have bolstered their panel with players from Limerick, Galway and Tipp.

Dublin were reduced to 14 men yes, cos O'Gara ran around trying to hide the fact he cant play football by acting like a bull in a china shop and then the referee proceeded to give free after free to Dublin for absolutely nothing, the one in injury time really taking the biscuit.

This decision dramatically changed the game, as soon as it happened Kildare began to control the game.

Yeah the game flow did change as soon as the red card happened, but Kildare had been finishing strongly in all their games, you could easily argue that the O'Gara red just saw them gain the ascendancy a slightly earlier than they otherwise would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I actually heard Argentina have a new full forward and he's the dogs boll*cks :p

Christ, lets just agree to disagree on this one boys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

They were a kick of a ball away from winning a Leinster last year and he's a serious footballer.

Dublin fans seem to think they've accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year, but there's not much at all between them and Kildare.

No they weren't a kick of a ball away.Who is to say that if Kildare had beaten Dublin that they would have got past Wexford? Johnston is a good player but I don't think he is that good to the degree in which he would be a catalyst for Kildare winning a Leinster.

I'm not saying Dublin have ascended past every team out of sight but the smart money is on Dublin retaining Leinster at the very least.Our defense is better and our forwards are certainly better (minus O Gara granted). His sending off gave Kildare an extra man to be more attacked minded and they still couldn't win.

As for the Wexford game, an All Ireland winning team may have a bad performance to give them the kick up the arse they need to perform better and beat big teams. Dublin got the rub of the green but I certainly think we are well ahead of Wexford with Kildare very close to Dublin but the fact remains that Kildare have failed to beat a 14 man Dublin team on 2 occasions within the last 3 years.

What would you expect the handicap on a Dublin Kildare game to be if they were going out to play a Championship match in the morning? If you want to give me Kildare with a four point start I'll happily empty the clip if they meet at any stage of the Championship without extraordinary team news.

That's if you think there's more than the kick of a ball between Kildare and Dublin.

In the likely event that you're sensible, and don't think there's more than the kick of a ball between them, I'm simply saying Sean Johnson is a pretty good man to kick a ball, and replacing your worst forward with what would be close to (if not comfortably) their best forward (assuming Doyle stays at midfield) would be a hell of a bump to the level their forwards are at.

This is before mentioning the two All Stars they're also adding to their ranks for the coming season.

So yeah, IMO Dublin are probably ~1 - 1.5 points better than Kildare at the moment, I figure Johnson would reel that in.

If you beat Dublin, you must be odds on to win Leinster, so there it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Being a Kildare man I would like to think we are as good as Dublin, but even at full strength Dublin will have the psychological edge winning tight games regularly last year while Kildare always manage to fall at the last hurdle i.e Donegal, Dublin X2, Down and Tyrone the previous year. All the same things are looking brighter for next season with peter kelly in to reinforce a now excellent backline, mickey conway at wing back or even wing foward will have a huge impact, while the collosus that is Dermot Early will have a huge role to play even if its only as an impact sub. Daryll Flynn has matured magnificently I believe hes one of the top 5 midfielders in the country while Eamon Callaghan will be able to fill John Doyles boots to a large extent when he retires... Cill Dara Abu!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Complete non-story. Who fuels these stories and more fool people who fall for them during this silly season.

Kildare have good young forward talent coming through in the likes of Fogarty, Hurley, Dowling, Mulhall and Eaton. Far better off giving one or two of these lads a run during the league than moving heaven and earth trying to get a mercenary in who could be off again within 12 months. The likes of Fogarty and Dowling should be key forwards for Kildare for the next decade.

Kildare should have a more potent forward line in 2013 with Doyle moved back up the field and hopefully a fully fit Conway on the forty.

Big negative for Kildare is Mick Foley being away till March. He was imperious all year and you could see McGeeney not picking him out of principle when he gets home.

Mick is back in January no?

The break will do him the power of good. He has put his body through a lot to line out all season for both club and county. His career has been blighted by injuries.I'd say that if Athy beat Garrycastle then they'll fly him home for the Leinster Final like Ballymore did with Kavanagh in the intermediate last year.

Mick being away will at least ensure that Peter Kelly will get plenty of football which should make his reintroduction into the team a bit easier.

No he's not back till March besides possibly for that club game.

McGeeny has already told him he'll struggle to get back in if you google for quotes.

• Advertisement

Ah he'll get back in alright. McGeeney is no fool but no harm in keeping lads on their toes. He brought Eoghan O'Flaherty onto the panel for the championship two years ago when he'd previously ruled himself out due to college commitments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement