Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

• 01-07-2011 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It looks like the SGSII is going to become a very popular device and there is already an excellent discussion thread covering all issues relating to the device.

I think there is merit in setting up a thread exclusively dedicated to flashing firmware, custom ROM's, rooting etc so people into that don't end up cluttering up or dominating the general discussion thread.

If you agree please post info on how to upgrade firmware, flash custom ROM's etc here and let this thread become a dedicated resource for people who want to mess with customise their device. :P

Looking forward to seeing whether this ends up becoming a long running and popular thread or fades into obsurity within days!!

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

OK, so there's no point leaving this to others.

I'm a 4 out of 10 when it comes to technical competency which means two things:-

1. If I can do the following so can you
    2. Independently validate everything I say. Don't send me a bill if you brick your phone!!

I just spent a couple of hours with my brand new SGS II which was running KE1 and now it's running Litening Rom 1.5.

Here's everything you need

1. Download Odin V1.85 here http://samsunggalaxys2review.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Odin3-v1-1.85.zip

2. Download Litening Rom V1.5 from here http://www.multiupload.com/D8F1YXS6IZ

3. Download Litening Wallpapers App from the market here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.litepro.wallpapers&feature=search_result

4. Read and follow the instructions from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

5. The key to connecting your phone to Odin is to have it in "Download" mode which means powering off your phone, waiting 10 seconds to make sure it's fully powered off then hold volume DOWN, home and the power buttons at the same time. This will bring up a yellow type screen which might freak you out a little as it has a warning about loading custom roms. This is your "no turning back" moment so to speak. You need to confirm you know what you're doing by hitting the volume UP button and then you're good to go.

Flashing the Litening 1.5 ROM is as easy as launching the Odin 1.85 App, putting your phone into download mode, then (and only then) connecting your phone via USB cable to your PC, load the PDA file, make sure "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are ticked, hit start and 2 minutes later you (should) have a lightning fast phone with a longer lasting battery.

Voilla :D

Enjoy and if you brick your phone please email iamresponsibleformyownfcukups@shouldertocryon.com :P

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nice one. You can now install ROMs from zip files on the SD when in recovery mode. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thor

Might aswell throw this in here aswell.

VillainRom creator pulsar has modded the new Skype2.0 apk to allow video calling on the Samsung Galaxy S2

I uploaded the Apk to mega-upload so people can grab it from there, Here is the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=020PTNW6

Thor,

I messed up trying to delete my old version of Swype & am experiencing some niggling problems. Is there a way to totally wipe the device before restoring the ROM? I tried factory wiping in CWM but that didn't do the trick.

Ben

Well I didn't stay too long on Litening Rom 1.5. It's big advantage is that it's easy to flash and doesn't require you're phone to be rooted so if you're new to flashing ROM's it's definetly a good option but having researched a bit more I decided to switch to Villain ROM 1.4 which took a little bit of figuring out but the instructions on their website are excellent and the forum is full of users willing to help.

Here's what you need to know:-

1. http://www.villainrom.co.uk
    2. http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/content.php/309-VillainROM-1.4-for-SGS2-Released - This is where you can download the ROM and Modem files you'll need to flash.
    3. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14283397&postcount=4 - This is the thread you need to follow to correctly root the phone before flashing the Villain ROM. It's critical that you apply the correct CF Root file for the modem you already have on your device. E.G. If you check your device in Settings -> About Phone and the baseband version is I9100XXKF2 then you need to download and apply the file CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KF2-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    in post #4 of the thread.
    4. http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4830-GUIDE-Noobs-this-is-how-to-install-VillainRom - Step by step guide to flashing Villain ROM including rooting etc.
    5. http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4570-%28updated%29-VillainTweaks-v1.3.1-%2829-May%29 - Clever Tweaks App which allows you to customise elements of the ROM and allows the ROM guys to apply updates/fixes.

Voila!!

Ben

• Advertisement

I'm delighted to report that VillainROM 1.4 is behaving very well. Had some concerns intially about data signal and battery life but both were unfounded. In fact battery life is turning out to be quite good.

Here's a useful list of APP's which can be deleted to lighten the load on the phone and increase battery life - https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ag43oj7rLQP4dENZcmhGN0ZUa3pHSENVeXlqUm5vV0E&single=true&gid=0&output=html

I probably deleted 50% of the "green" labelled apps and I also froze Software Update, Samsung Account and wssyncmlnps.apkusing Titanium Pro which are often responsible for considerable battery drain. (you can also use Bloat Freezer from the market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bloatfreezer&feature=search_result to freeze them)

Happy Modding

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Has anyone tried any other roms apart from VR and lightening? Vrtweaks is starting to bug me by not allowing multiple tweaks, ie you install circle battery mod and it removes vibrate/notification alert when fully charged mod ect

5500, no I haven't but I'm soooooooo glad you posted. I installed the "don't vibrate on full charge" tweak and then the circles tweak by Hoolyn and was more than surprised/disappointed when the missus elbowed me at 4am as the vibrating phone danced across the bedside locker. :(

I really like the circles tweak but I NEED the phone to remain silentduring the night.

Decisions decisions :confused:

BTW, how do you uninstall a tweak?

Nearly forgot. I read that the MIUI boyz are nearly ready with a ROM for the SGS II and no doubt the cyanogenmod crowd will have something out soon also.

Ben

Im in the same boat, I need the no vibrate tweek but hate the stock battery and icons/colours. I also had the phone.apk installed to stop the increasing ring tone which was working fine and then I installed call recorder from vrtweaks and it removed it.

Afaik to uninstall a tweak is you copy the original file back over the modded file, there's a vrtweak backup folder on the sdcard with files included. If your getting force closes your probably better doing a restore in cwm.

Also for anyone whos messing around with roms - CREATE BACKUPS! it saves you a lot of hassle and headache if something you installed or removed does go pear shaped

5500 - I've now reinstalled the "prevent notification and vibration when fully charged" tweak and it's removed some of the circle icons but retained the battery circle icon with the % displayed in numerics inside which is the most important element for me anyway.

I'll test it tonight by leaving the phone on flight mode when charging and seeing if I get a dig in the ribs around 3am or not android-smile.png

• Advertisement

I notice theres a darkys rom out now on on xda, seems to just be released today but users reporting issues installing so might be worth holding off for a few days before any bugs are fixed.

Going to try the notification alert myself again now. Another problem Ive got is I had the non increasing phone ringer apk installed, installed the call recorder in vrtweaks and now the ringer has reverted back to increasing.

Heres the phone.apk for KF2 rom's - http://www.filesonic.com/file/1289239504/Phone.apk, backup your original phone.apk just incase, then copy the new apk to system/app. If you get any force closes just reboot and you should be fine and have no more increasing ringer

The reinstall of the full battery don't vibrate and light up the bedroom tweak is either working fine or we're sleeping through it :p

Will give the Darky boys a few weeks to iron out the SGS II wrinkles before giving them a shot.

Happy with Villain 1.4 TBH and as it's not broken I'm not that keen (or bored) to go fixing it!!

Have a good weekend.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at rooting the S2 and wonder if you need Samsung Kies on your PC to to this

Was looking at This Video and it states you do. If you do need it is This the right one to download?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

You need Kies to install drivers so Odin will recognise phone when plugged in. I would imagine the link you have put up would do fine.

Ben - i have frozen or deleted some of your suggestions. Hopefully this will give me better battery live now.

Anybody gone for Darky's rom. Any new fixes in Villain Rom that are of any interest?

Theres a new villain 2.0 update with 2.3.4 on xda, Im just after flashing cognition 1.08 from vr1.4 as I kept getting force closes. So far Im happy with cogniton as it has everything I wanted as stock without having to use vrtweaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok have rooted the phone to lightening rom 1.5. If I do want to go back to factory settings can that be done.

If I do want another Rom are the easy to install? Also if I wanted my screensaver to be own personal pic can this be done ok a noobie question as have not messed around with phone

Anything else worth installing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

After following all these GS2 threads, I flashed Litening 1.5 about weeks back, and Litening 2.1 this morning. Its running 2.3.4 and KG1

After an initial oh **** I think I bricked it moment (don't be doing things when you are sleepy :D ) its working great.

Battery life seems to be performing better than under 1.5, AOS usage % has dropped dramatically, though some users on xda say battery drain is faster... guess I'll have to find out myself over next few days!

For anyone interested Rom etc can be found on XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

Ok have rooted the phone to lightening rom 1.5. If I do want to go back to factory settings can that be done.

If I do want another Rom are the easy to install? Also if I wanted my screensaver to be own personal pic can this be done ok a noobie question as have not messed around with phone

Anything else worth installing ?

Irish Gunner, that'll be a Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes to your 4 questions :D You just need to search the XDA and other forums to get the info you are looking for. The Market is full of great apps, just get in there and start trying them out.

As for the screensaver. Take a pic of yourself then go into Settings -> Display ->Screen Display and set the home screen and lock scren wallpapers there. Your picture will be in the "Gallery".

Ben

Grassey wrote: »
    After following all these GS2 threads, I flashed Litening 1.5 about weeks back, and Litening 2.1 this morning. Its running 2.3.4 and KG1

After an initial oh **** I think I bricked it moment (don't be doing things when you are sleepy :D ) its working great.

Battery life seems to be performing better than under 1.5, AOS usage % has dropped dramatically, though some users on xda say battery drain is faster... guess I'll have to find out myself over next few days!

For anyone interested Rom etc can be found on XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

How are you getting on with Litening 2.1 Grassey?

Ben

Finding it to be an improvement on 1.5 myself, stable no FC etc and battery drain seems less than 1.5.

Was experiencing some lag on the android market though, but whether thats due to the rom or that I updated to the new (US only - ha!) market I dont know.

2.2 was released this morning though with a market fix, so will flash that later and see if it makes any improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Grassey wrote: »
    Finding it to be an improvement on 1.5 myself, stable no FC etc and battery drain seems less than 1.5.

Was experiencing some lag on the android market though, but whether thats due to the rom or that I updated to the new (US only - ha!) market I dont know.

2.2 was released this morning though with a market fix, so will flash that later and see if it makes any improvement.

Did you have to go 1.5 > 2.0 > 2.1 and so on or straight from 1.5 to 2.2?

Yeah, 2.0 needs to be flashed via odin same as 1.5. The updates need to be installed via cwm separate afterwards.

He is working on compiling them all into a single file though to be released shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anybody want to post a screen shot of their home screen looking for inspiration!

Here's my current homescreen

sc20110715140647.png

The live wallpaper I'm using in the background is live plasma from the marketplace. https://market.android.com/details?id=mjp.android.wallpaper.plasma&feature=search_result

It goes well with the litening Rom (plus I'm a sucker for a bit of needless flash :D )

thanks for that

any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

BenEadir wrote: »
    3. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14283397&postcount=4 - This is the thread you need to follow to correctly root the phone before flashing the Villain ROM. It's critical that you apply the correct CF Root file for the modem you already have on your device. E.G. If you check your device in Settings -> About Phone and the baseband version is I9100XXKF2 then you need to download and apply the file CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KF2-v4.0-CWM4.zip
    in post #4 of the thread.

My base band ends in KDJ but my kernel has KE2 in it. I'm assuming I can just get the KE2 one then?

EDIT: Yep, I can! Nice and rooted now.

my phone has the following:

Baseband i9100XXKE7
    Kernel is i9100XXKF3
    Build Gingerbread XWKF3

Is there anything amiss there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Cyrus wrote: »
    my phone has the following:

Baseband i9100XXKE7
    Kernel is i9100XXKF3
    Build Gingerbread XWKF3

Is there anything amiss there?

Looks all good, you're running the latest "official" firmware. Baseband is the radio firmware which was not updated in KF2/KF3, hence is still KE7.

Hoping the 2.3.4 (KG1) will be released next week as I could do with more battery life for my vacation, which that update promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

LUOTE=Grassey;73296685]Yeah, 2.0 needs to be flashed via odin same as 1.5. The updates need to be installed via cwm separate afterwards.

He is working on compiling them all into a single file though to be released shortly.[/QUOTE]
    I have lite ning rom 2.0. I wanna get 2.2. How do i di it?

• Advertisement

download the 2.2 update from the xda forum, then copy it to your phone (not your sd card).
    Then open up cwm from your apps and update from the zip file. The 2.2 update zip should be at the top of the list, it'll update and that's it done.

Advertisement