Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Portugal

• 18-09-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Toying with the idea of moving to Portugal, but wanted to get some opinions etc. I should be able to continue working for an Irish company while over there - is there any downsides to this etc? Very much only an idea at this stage but would appreciate peoples advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Did a project over there a few years ago, even in an international financial services company with good graduates working there the level of english was pretty limited. You'd need to pick up some portuguese.

Upsides...weather, beaches !

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thats the main draw! Id be working for an Irish company so not sure how that would work with tax etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Thats the main draw! Id be working for an Irish company so not sure how that would work with tax etc?

No idea! Stuff you'd need to iron out with HR, salaries are much much lower, some of the lowest in the western European region I would say. Need to sort out whether you keep your Irish salary or switch to the local payscale which would reduce your ability to save.

It's great heading off out to the sun, have done so myself, but you need to think carefully through what that means financially for you.

Ideal scenario is that you are paid into an Irish bank account and are on a long term secondment there...not sure if your company will go for that.

Perfect thanks again - the plan would be to maintain my current salary, benefits etc, but telework from Portugal...its just local tax etc that I would be clueless about, or would I be taxed at Irish rates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,743 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here is fine for general info on living abroad. If you have questions about Irish taxation implications - you'll get a more informed response in the Taxation forum in the Biz category.

tHB

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - can you move the thread to that category or should I create a new thread?
    Here is fine for general info on living abroad. If you have questions about Irish taxation implications - you'll get a more informed response in the Taxation forum in the Biz category.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,743 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Create a new thread there. We'll leave this where it is so you may get feedback on what it is like to live there in general.

tHB

Ok thanks for that

Advertisement