Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D.I.T Newbies - 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

ConTheCat wrote: »
    DIT 411 down! :) Really hoping to get it! Where are people booking accomodation? No idea what to do :(

Ima be a lazy student and commute from home :D - soooo much easier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

DIT 411 down! :) Really hoping to get it! Where are people booking accomodation? No idea what to do :(

Have a look on daft.ie, do you know anyone else moving to the city? What kind of budget do you have?

Cheaper? Yeah. Easier? Hells no! :P I'll be able to wake up at a quarter to 9 and still make a 9 o'clock lecture, you can't get easier than that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im lookin next month, just pick a number an start looking. Im avoiding normal student accom because its not worth the hastle of it all. My ideal place would be just rent a room in a house and have use of kitchen and stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Doylers wrote: »

Quite possibly one of the most confusing things ever.

It lists all the modules available, and every time they are on, so you won't be attending half of the ones listed.

For example in my course, in 1st year we were split into 6 groups A-Z, A-Y B-X B-W C-U C-V. So the table would have marketing A, marketing B and marketing C, so you'd go to which ever one you were in, and ignore the other two, then you had PC AZ, PC AY, PC BX, PC BW, BC CU and PC CV, so that was six entries on the timetable but, you'd only go to one.

Quite possibly one of the most confusing things ever.

It lists all the modules available, and every time they are on, so you won't be attending half of the ones listed.

For example in my course, in 1st year we were split into 6 groups A-Z, A-Y B-X B-W C-U C-V. So the table would have marketing A, marketing B and marketing C, so you'd go to which ever one you were in, and ignore the other two, then you had PC AZ, PC AY, PC BX, PC BW, BC CU and PC CV, so that was six entries on the timetable but, you'd only go to one.

Amen to that. I had the that feeling but guess im not going to get a real idea of the timetable unless someone who did the course gives an insight :(

• Advertisement

continuing on from our other thread "Doylers" :D

Sure wa harm? If you did programming thats engineering (technically) computer repair(engineering) the science is there so they can add random modules in and do maths yuck. Post a link to your one then, probably in the newbies thread you started were just hijacking this one(sorry OP). A propper decision would be dt080, its the place to be and all that:p

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt211/

I know what you mean - and its much of a muchness, but when employers looking for grads. they normally go for the Computing students i think.

anyway - i think i like the make-up / structure of DT211 better to be honest, plus its an hons. level 8 :D

continuing on from our other thread "Doylers" :D

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt211/

I know what you mean - and its much of a muchness, but when employers looking for grads. they normally go for the Computing students i think.

anyway - i think i like the make-up / structure of DT211 better to be honest, plus its an hons. level 8 :D

They have such similar content its unreal. The only real diff between science and engineering is the maths and you go more in dept in algorithms. According to my good friend google engineering degrees kick ass. Found this aswell http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/undergrad/academics/degrees/cs-vs-cen

Fu*k you any your level 8 :p There no work experience so its just all work for the 3 years.

They have such similar content its unreal. The only real diff between science and engineering is the maths and you go more in dept in algorithms. According to my good friend google engineering degrees kick ass. Found this aswell http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/undergrad/academics/degrees/cs-vs-cen

Fu*k you any your level 8 :p There no work experience so its just all work for the 3 years.

Baha - sorry actually - my last statement of " Think employers go for computer science grads. " sounded abit insulting, i didn't mean it like that :)

RE: Your link, its not computer science im doing, its computing - that's where the differences come into play i think Eg. Computing being more geared to the hands-on techy - i do like the networking course your doing, it has some things on it, specifically the Cisco stuff - but, as i said, my degree is a level 8 and i have a secured place on it. :D

In my course (DT211 - Computing) is 4 years, and for the final 2 years, you can choose to do work experience in the relevant field of study (paid) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Dead right about DT211, it's much more practical and hands on that Comp Science. I've just finished first year and have to say it's a great course, much better for me than CS.

The Cisco is great, it's tough but you'll have a test in a lab each week on a chapter (goes towards your continuous assessment) and it kind of forces you to study for it and keep on top of the content :P

If you have any questions about year one give us a shout! Don't worry about your age either, I'd say the majority of my class are over 21!

Dead right about DT211, it's much more practical and hands on that Comp Science. I've just finished first year and have to say it's a great course, much better for me than CS.

The Cisco is great, it's tough but you'll have a test in a lab each week on a chapter (goes towards your continuous assessment) and it kind of forces you to study for it and keep on top of the content :P

If you have any questions about year one give us a shout! Don't worry about your age either, I'd say the majority of my class are over 21!

• Advertisement

Paula_K wrote: »

Paula_K wrote: »

That Comment was sooo good you had to post it twice! :D;)

Brilliant! - cant wait to get started this coming term! - spill the beans,then Paula ... :D - ill be heading in to first year in September,so ill need to know EVERYTHING ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Not possible for me, would be 2 hour car journey :P
    Have a look on daft.ie, do you know anyone else moving to the city? What kind of budget do you have?
    Oh completely forgot about daft.ie, thank you! Know people going but wouldn't exactly be besties with them! Unsure of the budget, reasonable enough housing though :)

Im lookin next month, just pick a number an start looking. Im avoiding normal student accom because its not worth the hastle of it all. My ideal place would be just rent a room in a house and have use of kitchen and stuff.
    Yeah my Dad owns accomodation in Dublin, but I think I wanna get to know people in the college the first year.. Then go out on my own! Not sure what I'll do yet!

Thanks guys :)

That Comment was sooo good you had to post it twice! :D;)

Brilliant! - cant wait to get started this coming term! - spill the beans,then Paula ... :D - ill be heading in to first year in September,so ill need to know EVERYTHING ;)

Haha woops, posted it three times actually, that quick reply thing didn't work so well for me!

Apparently the course can change quite a bit each year. For example, we where the first year to have maths crammed into one semester instead of two and the fail rate was very high, so it's possible they will put it back to two for you guys.

Maths is a tough one but if you put in the effort you'll be fine. I went in with a very low level of maths and managed to pass.

First semester is grand but the second is quite tough. Programming is the most important thing, we used C in Visual Studio. If you're good with it and put the effort in there can be good opportunities for you (like competitions etc)

Second semester: Algorithms can be quite difficult so it's good to keep on top of that. You'll be learning about different searches (binary, linear), sorts (bubble, insertion etc) and other simple data structures.

Operating Systems is very monotonous and boring (for me anyways) I found it hard to stay interested as did alot of other people.

You'll build a lego robot as well and program it to do simple tasks, that's quite fun.

All I can think of right now!

)
    Yeah my Dad owns accomodation in Dublin, but I think I wanna get to know people in the college the first year.. Then go out on my own! Not sure what I'll do yet!

Ah so you putting us all up then at a nice rate?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ah so you putting us all up then at a nice rate?:D
    We'll see! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Isis20

Im planning to study at DIT, but I was wondering; those modules you take, is that like a case you have to work on (and is is mostly paperwork) or do you take classes, pay attention and take a test after about 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kflyn

Thanks! I already have all of my results because i finished my A-levels two years ago, any chance i could hear back from CAO before August?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

kflyn wrote: »
    Thanks! I already have all of my results because i finished my A-levels two years ago, any chance i could hear back from CAO before August?

I think quite a few get offers beforehand. I've been offered my second choice, and hopefully will get word on my first before CAO offers in July.

I found admissions really helpful, they got the ball rolling and told me who to contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I was just emailed that i was accepted for DT010 Electrical Services Engineering yesterday. Just looking into places to stay now.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I was just emailed that i was accepted for DT010 Electrical Services Engineering yesterday. Just looking into places to stay now.

How did you apply? CAO with old leaving from a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

Isis20 wrote: »
    Im planning to study at DIT, but I was wondering; those modules you take, is that like a case you have to work on (and is is mostly paperwork) or do you take classes, pay attention and take a test after about 3 months?
    it will vary from course to course and module to module (so more info than DIT is needed if you want to know what to expect!), with the modularisation you must pass both semesters (even if it is by compensation), some may just have a test at the end, others may have graded essays to write, depending on what your doing there may be labs and you have to write reports on that. you cannot (experience with usless fecker of a structures lecturer) be marked on attendance, but it is advisable for the notes and obviously with stuff like labs if your not there to do it well....

overshoot wrote: »
    it will vary from course to course and module to module (so more info than DIT is needed if you want to know what to expect!), with the modularisation you must pass both semesters (even if it is by compensation), some may just have a test at the end, others may have graded essays to write, depending on what your doing there may be labs and you have to write reports on that. you cannot (experience with usless fecker of a structures lecturer) be marked on attendance, but it is advisable for the notes and obviously with stuff like labs if your not there to do it well....
    Thank you for the info :)
    I was hoping to take; 'English for Academic Purposes', 'Multimedia Technology in Commerce', either 'Irish Cultural Studies' or 'Managing Cultural Diversity' and last but not least, some marketing courses like - (International) Marketing,
    - Principeles of Marketing,
    - Strategic Marketing,
    - Digital Marketing Management,
    - A Social Sciene Perspective on Marketing

By any chance, got some info on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

DIT249, anybody else wishes to sell their souls to IT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Hey starting Vis Comm in Sep. Can`t wait! :) Anyone else? :D

evilberry wrote: »
    DIT249, anybody else wishes to sell their souls to IT? :)

Haha there is alot of us, maybe not that course, but alot of us interested in Computing :D

Hey starting Vis Comm in Sep. Can`t wait! :) Anyone else? :D

Not Vis Comm specifically nope, Studying DT211 (Computing) myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Yupyaboya! Got my first choice DT341 Marketing this morning! Yipeeeee! See ye in September :D

ghpeople wrote: »
    Yupyaboya! Got my first choice DT341 Marketing this morning! Yipeeeee! See ye in September :D
    Im happy for ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

Hey folks! :)
    Will hopefully be starting in DIT Aungier St in September (pending LC results!) but I'm 20 too because I repeated the Leaving Cert (bless my patience! :P )
    Hoping to get a job while I'm there and work weekends, since I'm from the Midlands and commuting back and forth every week would be ridiculously expensive!
    Also hoping to get my own accommodation as the student accommodation appears quite restrictive (though that could just be me! :P )

Anywho, just thought I'd say hey! Might see some of you around in September! :)

Advertisement