Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Secret Services

Options
  • 30-03-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Well guys I’m interested to know does Ireland have any secret service force similar to the British MI6 or the American CIA, and if so what do they do???

the only thing that comes logically to my mind is intelligence operations against dissident republicans and protecting political figures, but if you guys know of anything else they do and what the their names are I would love to hear back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There is some provision in the budget for the "Irish Secret Service" - a million blips or some such. No idea who or what they are or what they do though, which is probably the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G2_(Republic_of_Ireland)

Click G2 (Republic of Ireland) beside where is says Did you mean:G2 (Republic of Ireland)

In the link above,

This has been posted on Boards before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Well guys I’m interested to know does Ireland have any secret service force

If so, it's a secret.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think it's a fairly well funded organization IMO. The "official" million is just to put people off inquiring further. In reality their budget has been massively upped these past two years. I know this as they secretly draw funds from the Agriculture budget. As we farmers are always getting statements that this, that and the other scheme payment is "delayed", yeah, right. We know they really mean "diverted", and worse, the public think we're rolling in it :eek: We're not even catching sight of it! You know, like the way a US Gov issue hammer costs $3.76 million, same concept, just squirreled away by a different method...

(The above may, or may not be 100% true).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

johngalway wrote: »
    I think it's a fairly well funded organization IMO. The "official" million is just to put people off inquiring further. In reality their budget has been massively upped these past two years. I know this as they secretly draw funds from the Agriculture budget. As we farmers are always getting statements that this, that and the other scheme payment is "delayed", yeah, right. We know they really mean "diverted", and worse, the public think we're rolling in it :eek: We're not even catching sight of it! You know, like the way a US Gov issue hammer costs $3.76 million, same concept, just squirreled away by a different method...

(The above may, or may not be 100% true).

Or maybe the farmers are the secret service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Or maybe the farmers are the secret service!

I'm the Secret Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

They are so secret...you'd swear they never existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Steyr wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G2_(Republic_of_Ireland)

Click G2 (Republic of Ireland) beside where is says Did you mean:G2 (Republic of Ireland)

In the link above,

This has been posted on Boards before.

G2 is the Directorate of Intelligence of the Defence Forces. It isn't a Secret Service! Its UK equivalent would be Defence Intelligence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ah HA...

you've obviously not heard about our SECRET secret service, known as G3 theyre the oth.... hey... whats that noise? do you hear someth.... *SHIIINNNNGG SLTCHHHH Gurgle Gurgle gurgle......* ......thump......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I am the secret service and so is my wife...

I may be mistaken but wasn't that secret service provision something to do with the dept. of finance or revenue?

If so and related to finance should be a Secret Dis-serviced based on the performance of that particular dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

BigDuffman wrote: »
    may be mistaken but wasn't that secret service provision something to do with the dept. of finance or revenue?

I do remember the minister saying in the Dail that most of the budget for the secret service was returned unused as it was annually ( aprx 3 years ago?). He asked what was the remainder spent on and was told it was a secret.

Also remember a Prime time special showing video and audio surveillance of Al Queada suspects meeting in Dublin because they were under surveillance in UK. Programme claimed video was joint Gardai and Military Intelligence operation.If it was genuine then it was impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I think that secret service fund is actually used to pay for all the "super grasses" who have to be relocated. It's the equivalent to our witness protection program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »
    I'm the Secret Service.

Are you a farmer?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

From wikileaks (2005)
    XXXXXXXXXXXX said that the GOI's judgment on the robbery was based almost exclusively on UK intelligence. He also said that intelligence is handled very differently in the British and Irish governments. In the Irish government, many officials, including himself, do not receive any intelligence reports. The tradition instead is to take the word of the Garda. Later on February 4, at XXXXXXXXXXXX request, XXXXXXXXXXXX called the ambassador. XXXXXXXXXXXX said that he would be more precise with the Ambassador during their scheduled February 8 meeting, but confirmed that UK and PSNI information, combined with Ireland's long experience with the IRA, was the basis for the GOI assessment that IRA was behind the robbery. He said the GOI has no smoking gun or hard evidence but that the GOI considered it 99% certain that IRA conducted the robbery. Among several reasons, he said that no group other than IRA could have entered the neighborhood in which the bank manager lived. He described it as a 'no go' area for the PSNI and splinter groups. He also said no other group would have the discipline, this many weeks after the robbery, not to try to use a bank note, or provide information on the van or any other aspect of the robbery. He said that the GOI does have 'rock solid evidence' that Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are members of the IRA military command and for that reason, the Taoiseach is certain they would have known in advance of the robbery. Domestic Implications
    I also found this interesting, from an Independent article about the Queen/Obama visits
    About 40 Islamic extremists living in Ireland will be under surveillance for both visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

About 40 Islamic extremists living in Ireland will be under surveillance for both visits.

"Lads, be good now. We're watching ye!" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Morphéus wrote: »
    ah HA...

you've obviously not heard about our SECRET secret service, known as G3 theyre the oth.... hey... whats that noise? do you hear someth.... *SHIIINNNNGG SLTCHHHH Gurgle Gurgle gurgle......* ......thump......

G3 is Operations not Intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

mtb_kng wrote: »

Play nice now boys, play nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Jayus, when will ever learn, you use teatowels to dry the dish's, not wrap around yor heads. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Well guys I’m interested to know does Ireland have any secret service force similar to the British MI6 or the American CIA, and if so what do they do???

the only thing that comes logically to my mind is intelligence operations against dissident republicans and protecting political figures, but if you guys know of anything else they do and what the their names are I would love to hear back.

irelands secret service is made up of brown nose career orientated gardai and defence force personel who laisse with MI5. MI6, Interpol, FBI and europol. these organisations do the intelligence gathering and the 'irish secret service' just gets the info from them.
    the special branch are involved in surveilling dissidents and internal matters.

oh yea, if you google irelands secret service, there is a website which exposes irelands eru and special branch. there are pictures of these men. i have no idea who put them up but theyre very interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement