Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    No hassle, will keep an eye/ear out for him anyway. I've a chain and disk lock on mine just to be extra safe, but don't think even those would stop them if they were determined enough.

Wouldn't be the first time they would bring a spare set of wheels, then they can just role it out into a van and carry your wheels as well, break the locks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

nudger wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time they would bring a spare set of wheels, then they can just role it out into a van and carry your wheels as well, break the locks later.

If they're that determined to take a bike with a rusty chain and ~30,000km, they can have it!

There was a well known gent from around the D11 area, but I think he moved to D15 after getting out, would rob to order for parts.
    I know he robbed a bike to get the front disc for €50 and threw the bike in the Tolka, a friend pointed him out to me in town on a robbed bike, he robbed 3 that day that I heard about.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Just another one for the statistics. Silver Honda NT650V Deauville stolen last night from my back garden in Willows estate off the Hartstown loop.

The YZF 125 was stolen from the same estate Sunday night/Monday morn. Locked in back garden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I know this is getting a little off topic, but considering recent posts...

If you want to secure your bike, it's a good idea to get a Hardie ground anchor and at least and Almax Series III chain (+Hardie lock). Very good security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Steering lock or disk lock? Apologies for the questions, just curious as to how easy they seem to find it to take a bike.

I guess I'm Mrs Ghost for this purpose :)

The bike had a disc lock on and it had an immobiliser. He doesn't have a ground achor because I didn't want one on the patio where the children play, we've small ones and a metal anchor bolted into the ground was just too much of a safety concern from my point of view. My own opinion and probably a flawed one at that, but I would have been the bully on a safe garden being main priority.

In terms of the way the bike was taken, it was lifted and we're certain on that. The Deauville engine is very loud (especially so when he's taking it through the side passage), we'd have woken up had they started the engine at all, and sure with the immobiliser and the disc lock it wouldn't have been possible to drive it anyway. They didn't touch anything else in the garden or shed (ie kids bikes and scooters) no signs of attempts to get into the house and they even bolted the gate behind them when they left.

Mr Ghost heard something about 3.30am and checked out the window but saw nothing. It would have taken 2 maybe even 3 strong people to lift the bike as it couldnt have been wheeled, and a large enough van to take it away in. We're sure, as are the insurance co, that it was a planned theft and having seen here someone else in the estate was done too the same night just confirms our views on it.

Scary part is that either he was followed home on the bike or someone has been going garden to garden in the estate window shopping for motorbikes. Either way :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume you just need to life a bike onto a dolly. Then wheel it. Amazing no one sees these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume you just need to life a bike onto a dolly. Then wheel it. Amazing no one sees these things happen.

Never even thought of a dolly, makes a lot of sense and would be a good investment for a scumbag stealing a few bikes on the one night. As for seeing it happen, well its an estate with lots of families and kids, its really quiet in the small hours as it doesn't have through traffic for roads or pedestrians and most family sorts are sleeping at that stage. I doubt we'll see the bike again, the Deauville was a good looking bike as is the YZF 125 that was mentioned in the other thread, probably already in a shipping container down the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

KGLady wrote: »
    I guess I'm Mrs Ghost for this purpose :)

The bike had a disc lock on and it had an immobiliser. He doesn't have a ground achor because I didn't want one on the patio where the children play, we've small ones and a metal anchor bolted into the ground was just too much of a safety concern from my point of view. My own opinion and probably a flawed one at that, but I would have been the bully on a safe garden being main priority.

In terms of the way the bike was taken, it was lifted and we're certain on that. The Deauville engine is very loud (especially so when he's taking it through the side passage), we'd have woken up had they started the engine at all, and sure with the immobiliser and the disc lock it wouldn't have been possible to drive it anyway. They didn't touch anything else in the garden or shed (ie kids bikes and scooters) no signs of attempts to get into the house and they even bolted the gate behind them when they left.

Mr Ghost heard something about 3.30am and checked out the window but saw nothing. It would have taken 2 maybe even 3 strong people to lift the bike as it couldnt have been wheeled, and a large enough van to take it away in. We're sure, as are the insurance co, that it was a planned theft and having seen here someone else in the estate was done too the same night just confirms our views on it.

Scary part is that either he was followed home on the bike or someone has been going garden to garden in the estate window shopping for motorbikes. Either way :mad:

Desperate alltogether. What sort of side gate have you? Was it locked? Kicked in? Metal? Wood?

Had to call the police on sunday night as i saw a guy checking out an open window of a house at the coolmine cottages on sunday night. I didnt stay around to see what happened though .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

franksm, dont post pictures like that again. We have only your word that that person has acted outside the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Eh ? It was in the papers. If you look at the photo I placed up there, it does show the guy breaking into a car. Why should his anonymity be protected ?

In fact it was reported in the papers:

th_Frank0001.jpg

th_Frankmk20001.jpg

Furthermore, it's all over Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nan0bwSQFoI

And as well as that, TV3 used my footage in their program Caught on Camera in 2011.

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=irelandcaughtoncamera&tv3_preview=1

Tell you what, if this guy comes to you complaining about his picture being placed on the internet showing him breaking into cars again and again, direct him to me. I will gladly work with the Gardai on the rest of it

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

franksm wrote: »
    Eh ? It was in the papers. If you look at the photo I placed up there, it does show the guy breaking into a car. Why should his anonymity be protected ?

th_Frank0001.jpg

th_Frankmk20001.jpg

And as well as that, TV3 used my footage in their program Caught on Camera in 2011.

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=irelandcaughtoncamera&tv3_preview=1

Tell you what, if this guy comes to you complaining about his picture being placed on the internet showing him breaking into cars again and again, direct him to me. I will gladly work with the Gardai on the rest of it

Frank is that your car? Was this Tramp aprehended by the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Yeah, my car I am afraid. The cops are still looking fir him but apparently he's also on cctv breaking into cars at Clonsilla station during June last year and January this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

In fairness to Gaspode, if you had said that in the initial post I'm sure it would have been allowed. But it wasn't entirely clear at the time, it just looked like photo's of scobies... :)

Yeah, my car I am afraid. The cops are still looking fir him but apparently he's also on cctv breaking into cars at Clonsilla station during June last year and January this year...

Surprised with all that coverage no-one has recognised that Toe-Rag. Its quite a decent image of him and his accomplice. they even come right up onto the property, its not like it was parked on the street too. Real eye opener!
    Would you recommend cctv as a good crime preventing measure/deterrent? I think from the way they have their hoods down and no face covering they were unaware they were being filmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

nudger wrote: »
    The one thing that stood out to me was the amount of steak knives the scrote had left along the way, 1 on the hall stand, bottom of stairs, top of landing dressing table in 2 bedrooms and the big carving knife was used to cut up the beds and plastic piggy banks.
    He must have done the house during the night time and wasn't sure if the house was empty so was leaving weapons along his exit in case of a fight.

Thank **** they've changed the law now so you can kill the ****er who breaks into your house if it's absolutely necessary. Once you choose to enter someone's property uninvited, you leave your human rights at the door IMO.

Thank **** they've changed the law now so you can kill the ****er who breaks into your house if it's absolutely necessary. Once you choose to enter someone's property uninvited, you leave your human rights at the door IMO.

Me too. You come into my pad that i paid for at 4am looking to get my stuff. Im taking you on, im taking you on BIG STYLE. I may not win...I way come off worse. but im gonna give you hell ! :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

No they haven't, unless someone is were the bed rooms are in a house you can't say your actions in assaulting them were justifiable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont question moderation on thread, if you've a problem contact me by pm.
    How am I supposed to know these were in the public domain? For all I knew they were from your own cctv system, so I'm not taking the chance of leaving boards.ie open to legal action.

Thank **** they've changed the law now so you can kill the ****er who breaks into your house if it's absolutely necessary.
    Me too. You come into my pad that i paid for at 4am looking to get my stuff. Im taking you on, im taking you on BIG STYLE. I may not win...I way come off worse. but im gonna give you hell ! :D;):p

That's not quite the change in law that happened! you both need to moderate your tone here, boards.ie does not condone any talk of violence or taking the law into your own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Came home this evening to find three grand lads in the driveway of my house. "howya boss, we are cleaning the gutters for your neighbour". So how come there's no sign of your van? "it's on the way". Not interested. "we do a great job, spit on me hand, the wife'll be delighted wit ya". They were no more cleaning gutters, more like casing the place I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Arciphel what area??

gjc wrote: »
    Arciphel what area??

Littlepace.

Had 2 separate callers today looking to do my garden and to cut my trees.
    1 had a flyer only a mobile no, the other was in a high vis jacket, the usual old rubbish "Top job boss", starting very early this year.
    The Alarm was set off on Sunday evening while we were just up the road, It doesn't go off for no reason, but we were there in 2/3 minutes, there were a couple of flyers on the floor so maybe they were banged in the door.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Came home this evening to find three grand lads in the driveway of my house. "howya boss, we are cleaning the gutters for your neighbour". So how come there's no sign of your van? "it's on the way". Not interested. "we do a great job, spit on me hand, the wife'll be delighted wit ya". They were no more cleaning gutters, more like casing the place I'd say.

I had visitors like these except they were roof repair men that wanted to buy my car ! ! ! SO he handed me a roof repair flyer. I looked up the internet no sign of his company or number there! very odd

Arciphel wrote: »

had they actually done ur neighbours gutters or do i need to ask a silly q lol;)

had they actually done ur neighbours gutters or do i need to ask a silly q lol;)

No they hadn't done anything. He made a big song and dance about showing me his hands because they were dirty because they had been doing "loads of jobs today". Boss. He said boss about a million times. Pure chancers. When I told him I didn't want him cleaning my gutters he asked me did I want my driveway cleaned and he would give me a "free sample". I said what, of a driveway? I don't think he got the humour. :(

That sounds like a gang that were in the D7 area last September/October, old man across the road from my folks is very innocent, let them do the offered free sample, they done about 1/4 of his footpath making the rest look very dirty, then one of them asked "isn't that a lovely job" hes said "yes", "we'll finish it off for you so" then asked for €60 which he handed over.
    The old man was afraid and just gave them the money to make them go away.

So i drove through tyrrlestown for the first time in ages and was met with what looked like The Electric Picnic outside the new pub! There was even a couch outside with what must of been about 250 people :eek:
    Looks like i missed out on some party lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is the 'new' pub the pub that's been around for years ?

Advertisement